Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Today I took ~3h walk to check my equipment (I'm honestly not satisfied from the photos taken in my vacation). My finding: you brake before the equipment! You need to know the behavior of your objects (to find a proper place to find them and to hide from them), you also need a time (and patience) to take the right shot (this is for really good shots, you shoot whenever you are not prepared and look at the results later, at least for the birds :cry:!). I think there is rather big difference when you know what exactly you are doing versus "just take that shot" - at least for me...
The bottom line: nice to shoot home (at least concerning the results)!!!
DSC_2384_DxO.jpgDSC_2400_DxO.jpgDSC_2406_DxO.jpgDSC_2417_DxO.jpgDSC_2426_DxO-1.jpg

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0
Thanks all!
Alan, I'm coming from Bulgaria. I whent there in bad time: hot! Birds are hiding in deep shades, only feeding in open space early morning and late afternoon when the light is rather insufficient for APS-C sensor. Only in the high mountains (above 1800 up to 2500 meters) I met birds feeding at noon but I was there for just 4-5 hours.
Hi ISv,
with your comments on not getting the quality of shots you are used to - and the amount of great shots that you've shown here; did you only spend time chasing all native birds in the mountains of Bulgaria ;) or was some time spent visiting relatives as well ...
Anyhow - you managed to capture a load of birds in excellent quality! :cool:(y)
W.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Very nice shot, Alan. Well done.
a025.gif

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Hi ISv,
with your comments on not getting the quality of shots you are used to - and the amount of great shots that you've shown here; did you only spend time chasing all native birds in the mountains of Bulgaria ;) or was some time spent visiting relatives as well ...
Anyhow - you managed to capture a load of birds in excellent quality! :cool:(y)
W.
Hi Nat_WA!
:) - first tanks for the kind words! And yes I spent time with relatives and old friends (more than expected). Also, all the time spent in the nature was together with my daughter who is avid hiker and used to create turbulence - like getting lost in the unknown for her trails:D! Most of the time I didn't have the opportunity to relax and concentrate on shooting. Off-course, I'm not sorry: two weeks are by far not enough for the all planed activities. Better planing next time!
Here are few more species, not included in the firs series.DSC_1927_DxO.jpgSong Thrush 1.jpgMarsh Tit 1.jpgCommon Chaffinch 2.jpgPhylloscopus sp 2.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
Won't be long before our wintering birds come in and the last of the ones that came here to breed head even further south. I'd like to introduce you to Babou, a Yellow Crowned Night Heron who likes long walks along the river and fresh crab dinners. I wish I had the 5DSR on to try and capture more detail and I think it has a lot less dust on the sensor :/ .
SDR68011-X3.jpg

1/1250 : f/10 : ISO 1000 @840mm

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Jack and Alan - I fail to take single photo of Woodpecker in my vacation, despite of the big expectations... So, kinda jealous:confused:!
Here some from the last two Sundays (back on the Islands off course). I'm rather happy with the second bird - Scaly breasted Munia (Lonchura punctulata), up to now I was with only 2 +/- good photos of these. First photo - young Black-necked Stilts...
DSC_2437_DxO.jpgDSC_2458_DxO.jpgDSC_2555_DxO.jpgDSC_2629_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0