Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
My trip to find the Sharp-tailed Sandpiper (and Long-billed Dowitcher, they were already reported here last week!!!) got abrupt: we had some small storms around and there was a fallen telephone pool ahead, just 7-10miles from the destination (to go back and around the island from the opposite site was too much for me...)
Here are some photos on my way back home.
Chapter one: Juvenile Scaly-breasted Munia in comparing with the adult - there are some false reports of the African Silver-bill from very unusual/very low probability places and always from visitors to the Islands. I think somehow they are mixing the features of these two. If some one is interesting how to ID these birds, plus the Chestnut Munia (despite the age!!! The adults are easy...)) I think I can help. If nobody is planning to visit Hawaii soon it will take too much room (unnecessary!) here to tell and add photos.
First photo is adult Scaly-breasted Munia, next two are juveniles. View attachment 186856View attachment 186857View attachment 186858
Those Munias are probably proud of their beaks. But this is a real schnozzle on one of Darwin's Finches (Groundfinch on Genovese with the Redfooted and Nazca Boobies). (Usual 100-400/5DSR)

3Q7A4118-DxO_black_finch_massive_beak.jpg

3Q7A4111-DxO_black_finch_massive_beak.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Beautiful series, ISv. I especially like the Cattle Egret.
d055.gif

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Chapter two: I'm not in love with Cattle Egrets but after these photos I may get into (there are 3-4 species of Centipedes around, as well as 4 species of Black Widow and it's all I care about here - on the land!). You have to search for the Widows but Centipedes are readily available so, I think I have now a lot of love to the Cattle Egrets:)! After the second photo I was kind of scared for the bird (the insect is still alive - look at the legs!). Finally, when I was already packing my equipment it swallow the centipede!View attachment 186859View attachment 186860View attachment 186861
Great shot. Did you see the blue plastic around the left foot?

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Hi ISv.
Lovely shots, especially the Scaly-breasted Munia, the egrets aren’t too shabby either! ;)
I’m curious, are the centipedes dangerous, venomous?

Cheers, Graham.
Ps, look what you would have missed if not for the downed pole!
Pps, could you not just have gone over / under the pole, or was it too far to walk?

Thanks Graham!
Concerning your questions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centipede_bite
And no, you can't go around the pool. I asked one of the cops who where turning back the traffic when the work on the fallen pool could finish and his answer was "last time when it happen on this place they worked all the day". The only alternative road to my destination was to go back to Honolulu and take the road on the other side of the island (~5h in total. The way back home would be ~3h). Living on volcanic island has some disadvantages:(!

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Those Munias are probably proud of their beaks. But this is a real schnozzle on one of Darwin's Finches (Groundfinch on Genovese with the Redfooted and Nazca Boobies). (Usual 100-400/5DSR)

View attachment 186863

View attachment 186864
Impressive beak really! And fine photos!
Here is one more "beak" (some ornithologists are classifying Java sparrow also as Munia (Lonchura). I know it as Pada.DSC_3188_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Dammit, I can't resist posting this pair. I have to admit it was taken on the SonyRX10 IV. An advantage of this bridge camera is the large dof.

View attachment 186870
:ROFLMAO: - I was expecting something of... hmmm, like your selfie when you are robbing bank. Cameras are nothing more than an instruments...
I wish the sharpness was little bit more (on other hand the soft edges may pass better for the scene!)... Otherwise - great: scene (excellent++), background (excellent+), colors - very real, it is how these birds look.
I love this photo (and I don't care how did you nail it - Hammer, Sony or just with Canon;))!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi ISv.
Thanks for the link, enlightening to say the least!
Re pole, I guess when a Cop tells you turn around, you turn around unless you are out for trouble :ROFLMAO:!

Cheers, Graham.

Thanks Graham!
Concerning your questions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centipede_bite
And no, you can't go around the pool. I asked one of the cops who where turning back the traffic when the work on the fallen pool could finish and his answer was "last time when it happen on this place they worked all the day". The only alternative road to my destination was to go back to Honolulu and take the road on the other side of the island (~5h in total. The way back home would be ~3h). Living on volcanic island has some disadvantages:(!

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
:ROFLMAO: - I was expecting something of... hmmm, like your selfie when you are robbing bank. Cameras are nothing more than an instruments...
I wish the sharpness was little bit more (on other hand the soft edges may pass better for the scene!)... Otherwise - great: scene (excellent++), background (excellent+), colors - very real, it is how these birds look.
I love this photo (and I don't care how did you nail it - Hammer, Sony or just with Canon;))!
If you want a sharper one, here is a try - using my favourite combo of the 100-400mm II on 5DSR.

3Q7A1988_DxO_Java_sparrowsLC_small.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
If you want a sharper one, here is a try - using my favourite combo of the 100-400mm II on 5DSR.

View attachment 186884
Yeah - sharper indeed... by much:)! But you missed the scene - not the same!!! Bottom line is: .... OK, you know what I mean:)!
(Just to repeat your favorite slogan from L.P.: "Chance favors the prepared mind" - this is the original L.P. sentence BTW).
Anyway, bridge camera is what it is...
Any way, thanks for the nice photo and the discussion in my mind (private):D:D:D!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
After the nice photos of Islander I was honestly not sure I have to post my new bird in my collection (I got Sunday to the place where I was blocked Saturday...).
Long-billed Dowitcher! I saw also the Sharp-tailed Sandpiper and have some photos taken from to much of distance. The difference between Pectoral and Sharp-tailed is miserable and you need by far better photos... On other hand watching the bird TTL (500mm) for some time you are getting into the ID...
After that again the Hawaiian Stilt and Sanderling out of the mud - it happens rather commonly, Sanderlings are usual birds around and common around the ocean !

Limnodromus scolopaceus- Long-billed Dowitcher 1.jpg

DSC_3676_DxO.jpgCalidris alba - Sanderling (Hunakai) 5_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0