Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Pape, this are good shots but if you want to know how to make them better (not exactly these but in the in the next attempt) you have to upload more data:
With 1/1200s you shouldn't have serious problems with the movement of the birds, even handhold. Yes - if you go to at least f6.3 it should help...
I would like to know what kind of AF settings you were using - I usually use (Alan, please help me with the translation to Canon language:)) continuous shooting with 9 focus points focus tracking, VR(IS) on, even on tripod - but depend on where the tripod is standing and if the ballhead is locked on (with such a birds it's never locked and usually not on stable ground)!
And as Alan already said - it could be the lens... (I would like to add - it could be your technique of hand-holding too:)).

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
1/1200s yeah i gues if it pecked there can be movement.
Those little birds are always on movement and depht of sharpess is very shallow on 300mm 5,6 2meter.
Yes alan test i been reading says 85 out from 100 sharpness when 100-400 can do 92. on F8 they are more close
The 70-300 is a very good and sharp lens and I have been thinking of getting one. You will see the difference in sharpness only when you crop hard.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Pape, this are good shots but if you want to know how to make them better (not exactly these but in the in the next attempt) you have to upload more data:
With 1/1200s you shouldn't have serious problems with the movement of the birds, even handhold. Yes - if you go to at least f6.3 it should help...
I would like to know what kind of AF settings you were using - I usually use (Alan, please help me with the translation to Canon language:)) continuous shooting with 9 focus points focus tracking, VR(IS) on, even on tripod - but depend on where the tripod is standing and if the ballhead is locked on (with such a birds it's never locked and usually not on stable ground)!
And as Alan already said - it could be the lens... (I would like to add - it could be your technique of hand-holding too:)).
Translate from Nikonese to Canonese: "continuous shooting with 9 focus points focus tracking" depends on whether you are using mirrorless or DSLR. For mirrorless, which I think Pape uses, it will be continuous AF with tracking. For Canon DSLR it will be AI Servo with central 9-point zone focus. For for small birds in foliage or perched, I use with a DSLR the centre point or just centre with Canon as it is highly selective of what it is focussed on and very precise and rapid to focus. For birds in flight I use the centre 9 points as it is easier to keep track of the bird while panning. I don't use mirrorless for birds (though I love the M5 and 90D in liveview for portraits).

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015

In my experience, I would much prefer to shoot 1/600 and faster for small birds. These critters are really twitchy and if there is anything more than a light breeze 1/200 will blur everything, especially if you are cropping.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Mike.
Pape says he was at 1 / 1200 so double your suggested threshold, your not wrong about twitchy!

Cheers, Graham.

In my experience, I would much prefer to shoot 1/600 and faster for small birds. These critters are really twitchy and if there is anything more than a light breeze 1/200 will blur everything, especially if you are cropping.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Translate from Nikonese to Canonese: "continuous shooting with 9 focus points focus tracking" depends on whether you are using mirrorless or DSLR. For mirrorless, which I think Pape uses, it will be continuous AF with tracking. For Canon DSLR it will be AI Servo with central 9-point zone focus. For for small birds in foliage or perched, I use with a DSLR the centre point or just centre with Canon as it is highly selective of what it is focussed on and very precise and rapid to focus. For birds in flight I use the centre 9 points as it is easier to keep track of the bird while panning. I don't use mirrorless for birds (though I love the M5 and 90D in liveview for portraits).
"Translate from Nikonese to Canonese" - Thanks Alan! And with this part of your post you made my day - I was laughing pretty long :LOL:. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Hi Mike.
Paper says he was at 1 / 1200 so double your suggested threshold, your not wrong about twitchy!

Cheers, Graham.
:ROFLMAO:! Thanks Graham - I was going to ignore that post but: sometimes people (for me it's usually before the morning coffee:)) don't see some digits...
On other hand by some reasons (could be the same) another people are adding letters to the real(?) name:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:! I use to do the same mistakes, so it is just... let say fun!?
Anyway - I hope no bad feelings anyone?

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
yeah i think i am just hoping imposible sharpnesses ,its hard get good pictures from lively little birds like smaller tits.
I been using bigger one spot with servo ,trying to get it head but hard to get eye sharp whit nonexistent dof :)
Bird eye focus would be nice imporvement :)
"yeah i think i am just hoping imposible sharpnesses ,its hard get good pictures from lively little birds like smaller tits." - Me thinks: you will! - one way or another (better equipment - like longer lens, or better skills... I don't really think 300mm are good enough for such a small birds but you could eventually improve your skills to sneak closer to them !).
Here are few pics (not really that good, except the Redstart may be!) from my summer vacation in Europe...
About the same size of birds (both tits are ~(eventually, not always!) 1cm bigger, the Black Redstart is ~2cm bigger). Lens at 500mm!
1. Marsh tit
2. Willow tit
3. Black Redstart
DSC_1580_DxO-1.jpgDSC_2368_DxO-2.jpgDSC_2267_DxO-1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi ISv.
Thanks, no hard feelings and I try not to point out mistakes unless I think it changes the context of the post! I’m also aware that many here do not have English as a first language , as I can’t speak more than a couple of words in any other language I am in awe of them!
I could blame the spell correction algorithms, however in my case it comes down to the idiot doing the proof reading and seeing what I thought I wrote and not what spell check changed it to! :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Damn spell check just changed to into too! :mad::mad:
People in glasshouses shouldn’t throw stones! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
My apologies to Pape for miss spelling your name.

Cheers, Graham.

:ROFLMAO:! Thanks Graham - I was going to ignore that post but: sometimes people (for me it's usually before the morning coffee:)) don't see some digits...
On other hand by some reasons (could be the same) another people are adding letters to the real(?) name:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:! I use to do the same mistakes, so it is just... let say fun!?
Anyway - I hope no bad feelings anyone?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Hi ISv.
Thanks, no hard feelings and I try not to point out mistakes unless I think it changes the context of the post! I’m also aware that many here do not have English as a first language , as I can’t speak more than a couple of words in any other language I am in awe of them!
I could blame the spell correction algorithms, however in my case it comes down to the idiot doing the proof reading and seeing what I thought I wrote and not what spell check changed it to! :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Damn spell check just changed to into too! :mad::mad:
People in glasshouses shouldn’t throw stones! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
My apologies to Pape for miss spelling your name.

Cheers, Graham.
"...in my case it comes down to the idiot doing the proof reading and seeing what I thought I wrote..." - Graham you could be everything but definitely not an "idiot"!
And I will memorize "People in glasshouses shouldn’t throw stones! " - this is good one!
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: - funny, right now I notice that "Valvebounce", "ISv" and "Pape" are red underlined by my spell check. Whatever - have a nice weekend!

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
And some from today. I can't resist the White Terns, especially the juveniles... First two photos not very sharp - in the rush I forgot to turn on the image
stabilization. Bad light, casting heavy colors on the white - had opportunity to check how works the new HSL feature of DxO PL3. Found it very promising but needs mastering (as everything else)!DSC_4473_DxO.jpg

DSC_4471_DxO.jpg

DSC_4483_DxO.jpgDSC_4492_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0