Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Nice photos Alan! I'm jealous for the Red Start - expected in my vacation in Europe and never seen!
This one was migrating from Europe to Africa via the desert in Israel (Negev). I have been in a (generally non-photographic birding) group with great guides and we couldn't get close except on rare occasions.

Upvote 0

Cog

Dec 6, 2013
Qatar
This one was migrating from Europe to Africa via the desert in Israel (Negev). I have been in a (generally non-photographic birding) group with great guides and we couldn't get close except on rare occasions.
They are finally in Qatar, too. Unfortunately for me, they prefer trees in parks where big lenses are strictly forbidden. :-(

Upvote 0

Cog

Dec 6, 2013
Qatar
Forbidden??

Jack
Hard to believe, but several security guys immediately approach you when you appear with a DSLR camera and a telephoto lens. People are paranoid about being secretly photographed here. Privacy, privacy, and privacy. Plus everybody is convinced that you are a professional photographer if you have a big camera. So another thing security tell you is that photography is forbidden and you need special permission (almost everywhere, except public places where there are no birds, of course). Smartphone cameras are OK, though. :)

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Great shots! I love to see the birds doing what birds should be doing!
Thanks Alan!
And I'm sure it's rather entertaining to read "but this time on Passion Fruit Wine":ROFLMAO::eek:! I didn't notice the mistake until my daughter asked me "What kind of Wine - Red or White?!" , but it was already posted for more than few hours:mad:.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Alan, would love to have taken this image, it's a Green Bee-eater. It's been a while since I visited the topic and i'm still well impressed by everyone's contributions.
You are correct! Here is a genuine eurasian beeeater (non-breeding plumage) I took in Tanzania last year and a rather distant one I took in Portugal earlier in breeding plumage.2B4A6318-DxO_eurasian_beeeater_nonbreeding.jpg
beeater_2B4A2185-DxO_beeeaterSS2.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
For sure, that 90D is working well - it is 90D, right?.

But Alan, are you trying to convince us you didn't flip this guy a treat? ;)

Jack
We used a 5DSR + 100-400mm II + 1.4xTC and a 90D + 100-400mm II. My wife generally used the lighter 90D, and I grabbed it when she wasn't using it. To be honest, I couldn't tell the difference in IQ between shots we took with each. The fields of view are similar and the 5DSR with the 1.4xTC is equivalent to a 100 Mpx FF or 40 Mpx crop sensor in terms of resolution as opposed to the 83/32 Mpx of the 90D without a TC. In the past, the 5DSR + 100-400mm II + 1.4xTC outperformed in IQ my 5DIV + 400mm DO II + 2xTC. The 5DSR + 100-400mm II + 1.4xTC is similar to the 90D for BIF, despite being limited to just the centre point + 4 helpers at f/8, and isn't worse. I am happy with both combos.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
What you are doing on Thanksgiving? Go out, shoot your bird and cook!
So, I went out - already few weeks there were reports for par of juvenile Snow Goose at the very west part of the Island - very rare visitors here!!!!. Low probability to find them - it's a coastal trail with hundreds of forks... At once, somewhere 200 yards right of me group of people (hikers like me) flushed two big, white from the distance birds!!! I got very frustrated - still flying in front of me but because of the size of the area it was very low probability to find them again! Just ~ 10 yards later there was a turn of the trail and I sow two big, white birds flying towards me!!!! I was rushing to pull out my camera - at least to get them in fly! Didn't succeed - they landed just ~ 15-20 meters/yards in front of me (Huh, tell me about luck!!!).
Tell me about a luck - again!
Not very good photos - very hot day and even at this distance (about 10-12 meters/yards) the turbulence of the air is "eating" the resolution...
P.S. Oh - right now I'm already cooking the defrosted duck (old tradition in the family - I cook the bird and it's always a duck - tastes better!).
I'm very happy - for 17 years here it's my first encounter of Snow Goose! New species in the collection!!!

DSC_4999_DxO.jpgDSC_5007_DxO.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Congratulations on 1000 pages of stunning bird images, great advice and brilliant humor from all the contributors here! It's been to long since I've shown something myself but coming back to this thread is always a delight and it's awesome to see the extend it has reached thanks to all the passion people pour into it! (y)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0