Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Hi Alan.
Thanks, I thought it was very cute with the feather for its nest.
I guess the Stone Curlew knew you were there before you knew he was there, he has a beady eye on you!

Cheers, Graham.
Graham, you don't need to guess - it's for sure!
On other hand it means Alan was successful in getting in reasonable distance without scaring the bird - they use to relate on their abilities to hide but if you make some fast/strange for them movements in most cases they will flush!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
"Expedition Log Day 7: It has begun to rain again and the natives appear restless."
SDR71011-X3.jpg

Taken along the San Diego River the day after Thanksgiving. Ironically it was actually going after another Great Blue Heron who was much closer to me.
Any umbrella?!
In your shoos I wold crop vertically - for my taste it will make even more dramatic photo... but you don't need to be in my shoos of course!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi ISv.
I didn’t feel it was critical, more that it was a different perspective on a subjective image. Also I believe if you were to criticise an image of mine it would be a considered and constructive criticism, telling me that you felt my image was worthy of improvement.

Cheers, Graham.

I don't exactly why but it looks like cheer leader to me :LOL: - not critic at all BTW!!!

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Hi ISv.
I didn’t feel it was critical, more that it was a different perspective on a subjective image. Also I believe if you were to criticise an image of mine it would be a considered and constructive criticism, telling me that you felt my image was worthy of improvement.

Cheers, Graham.
I think all, well, at least most of us see things this way and want to improve. If it's valid - use it to improve and if it isn't then ignore it and in all cases don't get hurt feelings! :)

Upvote 0
Let me start by saying I shoot sports. I have never shot birds before. But when i was in Bogota Columbia, an option in the tour book was "Humming Bird Sanctuary." We were looking for a trip outside the city and this was about an hour drive. The "tour" price was $120/person, but we had a car so we just drove there. It was $16 per person.

So what I chose to shoot with was a 7D II and 400mm F4 IS DO II. I had a 5D IV, but thought the photo would need heavy cropping anyway, why not shoot tight. The skies were mostly cloudy and we ended up with about 90 minutes at the facility before it closed. My brother and son listed to the lectures, but I just shot. They move pretty fast.

_7D_5453.jpg

_7D_6584.jpg

_7D_6308.jpg

_7D_5246.jpg

_7D_6115.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Let me start by saying I shoot sports. I have never shot birds before. But when i was in Bogota Columbia, an option in the tour book was "Humming Bird Sanctuary." We were looking for a trip outside the city and this was about an hour drive. The "tour" price was $120/person, but we had a car so we just drove there. It was $16 per person.

So what I chose to shoot with was a 7D II and 400mm F4 IS DO II. I had a 5D IV, but thought the photo would need heavy cropping anyway, why not shoot tight. The skies were mostly cloudy and we ended up with about 90 minutes at the facility before it closed. My brother and son listed to the lectures, but I just shot. They move pretty fast.

View attachment 187737

View attachment 187738

View attachment 187739

View attachment 187741

View attachment 187742

So now you're hooked on bird photography, right? ;) I love the one with the long sword!

Jack

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Tex.
Some beautiful birds there, nicely shot.
I guess this might be the first time (you shoot sports, so maybe not) that you have hit that dilemma point of super fast movement, overcast light made worse by tree cover and trying to get the shutter speed high enough to completely freeze the subject without pushing the 7DII iso too high, welcome to the world of birding! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sooo, are you addicted yet,:unsure: itching for the next opportunity? :unsure: No, then don’t do it again or you will be!:ROFLMAO:

Cheers, Graham.

[/QUOT

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jack.
Absolutely, I grew a thick skin in school thanks to the bullies, not too thick though, I’m always willing to learn but can shrug off pointless criticism!

Cheers, Graham.

I think all, well, at least most of us see things this way and want to improve. If it's valid - use it to improve and if it isn't then ignore it and in all cases don't get hurt feelings! :)

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Hi Jack.
Absolutely, I grew a thick skin in school thanks to the bullies, not too thick though, I’m always willing to learn but can shrug off pointless criticism!

Cheers, Graham.
Graham
I don't think it was a criticism - ISv, with his usual sharp perception and wit, saw the ruffled feather ball on the tit's shoulder as a pom pom, and in the US cheerleaders are also called pom pom girls.
Alan

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Alan.
I know absolutely that it was not criticism, I was responding to Jacks response to my previous response to ISv.

Jacks response, “I think all, well, at least most of us see things this way and want to improve. If it's valid - use it to improve and if it isn't then ignore it and in all cases don't get hurt feelings! :)

Cheers, Graham.

Graham
I don't think it was a criticism - ISv, with his usual sharp perception and wit, saw the ruffled feather ball on the tit's shoulder as a pom pom, and in the US cheerleaders are also called pom pom girls.
Alan

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Hi ISv.

Cheers, Graham.
Hi Graham! It was just that feather that remind me the pom-poms of the cheerleaders:)!
It has nothing to do with the quality of the photo - only the expression (and my association - for different people the association could be different).

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Hi Tex.
Some beautiful birds there, nicely shot.
I guess this might be the first time (you shoot sports, so maybe not) that you have hit that dilemma point of super fast movement, overcast light made worse by tree cover and trying to get the shutter speed high enough to completely freeze the subject without pushing the 7DII iso too high, welcome to the world of birding! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sooo, are you addicted yet,:unsure: itching for the next opportunity? :unsure: No, then don’t do it again or you will be!:ROFLMAO:

Cheers, Graham.
I will add one more (challenging) problem: birds use to get scared and they just flush - GAME OVER:), there is not second and so on quarters, set, halftime... it's just the end of the game. You wait till the next game and with some rare birds it may not happen - ever:cry:!

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Graham
Alan
Damn it... again I answered before I read your comment! I just go step by step - the pages in this topic are rolling too fast (but hey - it is good!!!). And again we are on the same page anyway(y)!

Upvote 0