Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Hi Kit.
Initially I thought it might be doing the feather dance! :ROFLMAO:
If the opportunity arises I will most certainly ask for two pom-poms next time.

Cheers, Graham.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:! But but but how you are doing this - I'm usually praying "don't flush, don't flush....":unsure::(!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
A Firecrest.
Along with the Goldcrest it's the smallest UK bird. Never an easy subject as it is quite restless.
This image obtained after six two hour sessions.
1DX2 + 100-400mk2 +1.4 1/500. f8. ISO 10,000

Good catch miken!
I encountered this one in a very early morning during my vacation in Europe this summer (and it was one of my "for sure" targets:unsure::LOL:). In deep shade, against bright background... Camera on tripod. The speed was about 1/10 or less after the +EV corrections (at ISO far beyond the acceptable abilities of APS-C sensor). I knew there is no chance to get the (+/-acceptable) photo - took it just as a prove that I have seen the bird. Otherwise, back in the time (Huh - 20-25 years ago?!) I have seen that bird (as well as the Goldcrest) in very nice light and surprisingly close to me (same mountain). I was not taking photos of birds at that time:oops:!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Not proud of these but it's what I got after covering the complete distance of the marathon here:ROFLMAO:! I just forget that there is a marathon that day and exactly same direction... On this island you have not much choices - in that direction there is only one freeway (well - as I found, plenty of detours:LOL:). Instead of ~ 50 minutes I took the distance for ~2h 20-25min. No way to choose other direction except the way back! Just a little bit longer than the marathon distance. Oh?! Did I forget to say "by car" :devilish:?! With car or not it was complete disaster!
DSC_5166_DxO-1.jpgDSC_5178_DxO-1.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
A Firecrest.
Along with the Goldcrest it's the smallest UK bird. Never an easy subject as it is quite restless.
This image obtained after six two hour sessions.
1DX2 + 100-400mk2 +1.4 1/500. f8. ISO 10,000

Excellent shot! Kinglets are amongst the hardest subjects in my experience, and this is a great portrait.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Pouring with rain yesterday and terrible light. I had the wrong lens on the 90D, the Sigma 150-600mm, and had to shoot this bedraggled kingfisher at iso 2500 1/320s at midday. I wish I had the 400/f4.

Not an easy day for photography with a flat light. Nice picture anyway.

Upvote 0