Show your Bird Portraits

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
The lack of Moire is the one consolation. In practice, the 5DSR has given Moire only a handful of times in 10s of thousands of shots with the 5DSR, and I have had Moire even with the 5DIV. The 5DSR files are very clean regarding noise. I have to go with very high Lum settings in DxO PL3 to get rid of the grain from 90D files, but it does so well without much impact on detail. PhotoNinja suppresses the noise well, but with some loss of detail. DxO PL has become compatible with the 90D only just recently so I hadn't noticed it earlier. I am having a play with the Nikon D500, which has a similar pixel density to the 5DSR, and the files look very clean at high iso. I'll report back after it stops raining and I cam take some bird shots
Nikon D500!!!!!!! Have you found the 500 f/5.6 PF by any chance??? (I know it is a very difficult lens to find)

Useful information about 90D regarding noise.

I was thinking of replacing my 7DII with 90D but I didn't find any buyer for months. I could ask at shops for part exchange against 90D but I will lose a lot of money. I can find 90D cheaper abroad so it is a dilemma.

But maybe I will take advantage of the one month before brexit and get at least a 15-35 RF lens before Jan 31st before anything else (and possibly 24-70 RF too so after that it will be enough with the expenses).

P.S Of course I am keeping my 2 5DsR cameras :)
P.S2 I assume you used DXO Prime Noise reduction.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Nikon D500!!!!!!! Have you found the 500 f/5.6 PF by any chance??? (I know it is a very difficult lens to find)

Useful information about 90D regarding noise.

I was thinking of replacing my 7DII with 90D but I didn't find any buyer for months. I could ask at shops for part exchange against 90D but I will lose a lot of money. I can find 90D cheaper abroad so it is a dilemma.

But maybe I will take advantage of the one month before brexit and get at least a 15-35 RF lens before Jan 31st before anything else (and possibly 24-70 RF too so after that it will be enough with the expenses).

P.S Of course I am keeping my 2 5DsR cameras :)
P.S2 I assume you used DXO Prime Noise reduction.
Long story short. A used Nikkor 500mm f/5.6 PF came up on eBay last week and sold for nearly the new price with fierce bidding as it is so back ordered. By chance, I checked the price 3 nights ago and a website told me that a used one was on sale from WEX, a very reliable store, at a low price, so I pounced and bought it, knowing I could sell it on at a profit. They were also selling a "managers special" used D500 at a very low price which I bought for the same reason. It's a beautiful lens and the body is mechanically excellent, but the menus and customization are terrible compared with Canon. I'll have a play with them for a while and decide whether to keep. Having a super 500mm lens that weighs less than a 100-400mm II is a real plus on my BlackRapid.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Long story short. A used Nikkor 500mm f/5.6 PF came up on eBay last week and sold for nearly the new price with fierce bidding as it is so back ordered. By chance, I checked the price 3 nights ago and a website told me that a used one was on sale from WEX, a very reliable store, at a low price, so I pounced and bought it, knowing I could sell it on at a profit. They were also selling a "managers special" used D500 at a very low price which I bought for the same reason. It's a beautiful lens and the body is mechanically excellent, but the menus and customization are terrible compared with Canon. I'll have a play with them for a while and decide whether to keep. Having a super 500mm lens that weighs less than a 100-400mm II is a real plus on my BlackRapid.
Wow I almost envy you!! Let me clarify: 500mm f/5.6 being the reason and D500 not! I have tried to use a friends Nikon D750 and I couldn't! But if you set it in any tolerable way then maybe you can add the set to your kit.

Upvote 0

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
I have made a policy decision not to use the TC with the 100-400mm II. There is a gain in resolution but it is accompanied by a loss of contrast, which can be helped in post-processing, and I prefer to use the bare lens at 400mm and f/5.6 rather than at 560mm and f/8, above the diffraction limited aperture. The 400mm DO II at 560mm and f/5.6 is good. In terms of bird photography and BIF, if you are not using the mirrorless aspects of the 90D, your 5DSR holds it own still and the 5DSR +100-400mm II + 1.4xTC produces as detailed images as the 90D + bare lens and is not inferior in AF.

My copy of the 100-400mm ll is extremely sharp wide open with the 1.4x Ill! I was really surprised, I thought I would need to stop down to f/9, but I don't. It is sharper than all of the 3rd party 600mm lenses. I bought the 100-400 because of how much you talked about it. I picked it up early this year for $1400 on the refurb sale. I even say that it's as sharp as my 500 f4 IS version 1. The lens is absolutely incredible! Here are 2 photos taken the day I got it. The finch is at 400mm f5.6, about 20' away. The robin is at 560mm f8 about 50' away.

Jeremy

B34A8527.jpgB34A8582.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
My copy of the 100-400mm ll is extremely sharp wide open with the 1.4x Ill! I was really surprised, I thought I would need to stop down to f/9, but I don't. It is sharper than all of the 3rd party 600mm lenses. I bought the 100-400 because of how much you talked about it. I picked it up early this year for $1400 on the refurb sale. I even say that it's as sharp as my 500 f4 IS version 1. The lens is absolutely incredible! Here are 2 photos taken the day I got it. The finch is at 400mm f5.6, about 20' away. The robin is at 560mm f8 about 50' away.

Jeremy
Jeremy
I use the 100-400mm II + 1.4xTC a lot on the 5DSR or 5DIV, but decided not to use it with the 90D. What camera are you using? I am gratified I pointed you towards the lens, it's a real classic.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Wow I almost envy you!! Let me clarify: 500mm f/5.6 being the reason and D500 not! I have tried to use a friends Nikon D750 and I couldn't! But if you set it in any tolerable way then maybe you can add the set to your kit.
I am really struggling with settings on the D500 - Canon's ergonomics from menus to buttons is so much better. The lens is incredible. I ordered a refurbished 1.4xTC yesterday, and have just tested it, and the lens at 700mm is great.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I use the 7D MKll.
Going from the 20 mpx on the 7DII to the 32 mpx on the 90D is a big leap. Basically, the bare 100-400mm II on the 90D gives at least as good resolution and sharpness as the lens plus 1.4xTC on the 7DII, and you need to keep at f/5.6 or wider on the 90D because of diffraction to get the most from it.

Upvote 0
Going from the 20 mpx on the 7DII to the 32 mpx on the 90D is a big leap. Basically, the bare 100-400mm II on the 90D gives at least as good resolution and sharpness as the lens plus 1.4xTC on the 7DII, and you need to keep at f/5.6 or wider on the 90D because of diffraction to get the most from it.

Hi Alan, I also shoot the 7D Mark ii with the 100-400mmL ii Lens, sometimes with the 1.4iii extender. I am really considering getting the higher megapixel 90D to pair the 100-400 lens with but it's hard to justify the cost considering the great results I get with the 20mp 7D2????
In your opinion is the IQ on the 90D considerably better than the 7Dii to justify the "upgrade" or cost of the 90D?

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Hi Alan, I also shoot the 7D Mark ii with the 100-400mmL ii Lens, sometimes with the 1.4iii extender. I am really considering getting the higher megapixel 90D to pair the 100-400 lens with but it's hard to justify the cost considering the great results I get with the 20mp 7D2????
In your opinion is the IQ on the 90D considerably better than the 7Dii to justify the "upgrade" or cost of the 90D?
It depends on what lenses you use, iso settings and how you process the images.
Glenn Bartley has written a comparison http://www.glennbartley.com/Canon90DSetupReviewandSettings.html It's generally a very positive comparison vs the 7DII except he claims the 7DII is a stop better in noise and the 90D comes off the rails at isos greater than 800. I think he uses PS to process his images. I use either DxO PL or PhotoNinja and have no problems at going to higher isos. Keith similarly goes up to very high isos using PhotoNinja with his 7DII and seems happy with his M6II. The DR chart from Photonstophotos.net shows that outputted to the same size, the 7DII and 90D are the same at high isos and then 90D is a clear winner at base isos. So, I disagree with him, but he is a pro and I am just an enthusiast.
A lot depends on whether you need an extender, because the 90D is basically a 7DII with a built in digital 1.4xTC. In your case, I think you will get better IQ and resolution with the 90D + 100-400mm II than with the lens +1.4xTC on the 7DII, and you will have a stop advantage being at f/5.6 rather than f/8. With both with the bare lens, the 90D should never be worse because you can always downsize. However, I wouldn't "upgrade" if IQ is the only concern. The 90D is more modern and has other features, and if you want them, then it's a good choice.

chart.jpeg

Upvote 0
It depends on what lenses you use, iso settings and how you process the images.
Glenn Bartley has written a comparison http://www.glennbartley.com/Canon90DSetupReviewandSettings.html It's generally a very positive comparison vs the 7DII except he claims the 7DII is a stop better in noise and the 90D comes off the rails at isos greater than 800. I think he uses PS to process his images. I use either DxO PL or PhotoNinja and have no problems at going to higher isos. Keith similarly goes up to very high isos using PhotoNinja with his 7DII and seems happy with his M6II. The DR chart from Photonstophotos.net shows that outputted to the same size, the 7DII and 90D are the same at high isos and then 90D is a clear winner at base isos. So, I disagree with him, but he is a pro and I am just an enthusiast.
A lot depends on whether you need an extender, because the 90D is basically a 7DII with a built in digital 1.4xTC. In your case, I think you will get better IQ and resolution with the 90D + 100-400mm II than with the lens +1.4xTC on the 7DII, and you will have a stop advantage being at f/5.6 rather than f/8. With both with the bare lens, the 90D should never be worse because you can always downsize. However, I wouldn't "upgrade" if IQ is the only concern. The 90D is more modern and has other features, and if you want them, then it's a good choice.

View attachment 187867

Thanks Alan, I also have the 80D which seems to have a cleaner image than the 7D2 at lower ISO's but the 7D2 does out perform it at higher ISO's (and auto focusing of course). I can clean up a ISO 3200 7D2 shot and make it look decent but the 80D at that ISO is much more difficult or often not possible. I don't like going over ISO 1600 with the 7D2 or over ISO 800 with the 80D. I seldom use the 7D2's 10fps but it sure does come in handy occasionally. I think the 90D is limited to 7fps unless in live view....
Regardless, the 32mp sensor of the 90D and its upgrades over the 80D really has captured my attention.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks Alan, I also have the 80D which seems to have a cleaner image than the 7D2 at lower ISO's but the 7D2 does out perform it at higher ISO's (and auto focusing of course). I can clean up a ISO 3200 7D2 shot and make it look decent but the 80D at that ISO is much more difficult or often not possible. I don't like going over ISO 1600 with the 7D2 or over ISO 800 with the 80D. I seldom use the 7D2's 10fps but it sure does come in handy occasionally. I think the 90D is limited to 7fps unless in live view....
Regardless, the 32mp sensor of the 90D and its upgrades over the 80D really has captured my attention.
DxO PL transformed the iso range I could use on the 7DII, and Keith R has posted nice images at very high isos. Are you using RAW and what processing software?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Despite Alan and others comments on how good DxO PL is at reducing noise on high iso images I have yet to see a compelling direct comparison actually illustrating the supposedly remarkable results they get where a 'native' RAW file is shown along with any alternate noise reduction options.

Certainly the example images used on the DxO website can be replicated in Lightroom to a very large degree.

Upvote 0
DxO PL transformed the iso range I could use on the 7DII, and Keith R has posted nice images at very high isos. Are you using RAW and what processing software?

I only shoot in RAW.
I've been using Topaz DeNoise AI and it seems to be working really well for me. I can occasionally clean up images quite nicely up to ISO 6400, although 3200 or lower looks much nicer. It does depend on the image though as to what Topaz can do.
Once I denoise I do all my other adjustments in ON1 Photo RAW 2020.

ADDED: I just got an email for 30% off for DxO PL! LOL (might be a sign!) LOL

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I only shoot in RAW.
I've been using Topaz DeNoise AI and it seems to be working really well for me. I can occasionally clean up images quite nicely up to ISO 6400, although 3200 or lower looks much nicer. It does depend on the image though as to what Topaz can do.
Once I denoise I do all my other adjustments in ON1 Photo RAW 2020.

ADDED: I just got an email for 30% off for DxO PL! LOL (might be a sign!) LOL
I upgraded on the last day of the initial 30% discount offer for the new PL 3, and three days later it was a 50% discount for Black Friday! I was not happy.

Upvote 0

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
Received a tip this morning, that the Long-eared Owls might be back at a previous roosting site. I walked around the area, but couldn't find them. Found fresh signs of them, but because it's a high traffic area for dog walkers, there's a good chance a dog flushed them out. I will check again at sunrise tomorrow morning. I did however, find a Barred Owl. Always nice to see them too! Taken with 7D Mkll and EF 100-400 ll

Jeremy

Barred Owl 119.jpgBarred Owl 120.jpgBarred Owl 121.jpg

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
:LOL:! I tried to use my colleague Canon - he was asking what to do better - and I totally failed. Things that are doing the same thing are called different - and u are very lost... It's different language! Learn the language first!!! After that it shouldn't be a problem.
This is my very serious problem not to check the 90D (plus the price of 100-400 II). I want it because of the pixels density...

Upvote 0