Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Here I have few from my first try of my new camera (same lens). Found them slightly softer but I still haven't check for lens/body alignment (aka fine tuning the lens) - I hope this is the problem. Otherwise just ~2.5MP loss should not be that visible! Focus-tracking is superior (I still have to evaluate the focus acquisition and accuracy). I didn't have a chance to try BIF today but it looks promising...
I'm still into very basics of this camera. In generally not that big deal (in comparison with Alan who is trying this from different system) but still - one day is not enough! Last two photos at ISO 1000.

View attachment 187970View attachment 187972View attachment 187973
I don’t really like Indian Mynas - aggressive invaders. The very first thing I do with a new camera is to AFMA it or fine tune. The difference in Mpx should not be noticeable. Enjoy your New Year‘s acquisition and have a great 2020 with it!

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Thanks Alan! In this particular time of the year I don't have enough time/mood to do real AFMA:D! But it's a #1 in the next few weeks (better in the next two - if the things are not going as expected I have to return the camera). I didn't need any adjustments with my older camera. It's still here, waiting for the verdict but I'm not at all sure I want to sell it - it is mighty one and would be fine back up body!

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks Alan! In this particular time of the year I don't have enough time/mood to do real AFMA:D! But it's a #1 in the next few weeks (better in the next two - if the things are not going as expected I have to return the camera). I didn't need any adjustments with my older camera. It's still here, waiting for the verdict but I'm not at all sure I want to sell it - it is mighty one and would be fine back up body!
I believe the camera you have just bought has Auto Fine Tune whereby it sets itself by liveview and then AF, which should be quick and easy. I've got into a routine for AFMA using Reikan Focal. It takes a while for the software to be compatible with newly released bodies and it's a PITA taking the computer etc into the garden where I AFMA. So, I use the manual method of taking 3 jpegs at each AFMA from -20 to +20 every 5 units, which takes about 5-10 minutes. Downloading back indoors and then feeding them into the program, which is another 5 minutes. For my latest acquisition pair, the AFMA for the bare lens is 0 but the 1.4xTC requires a very noticeable +7. I don't know if that correction is unusually high but I have similar shifts with TCs on my 100-400mm IIs. I have too many bodies and lenses so FoCal is very good value for me, and it's so quick by the manual procedure that mirrorless's not requiring AFMA isn't an issue.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks Click! But I just deleted my second photo - not on the level of this forum... neither of my expectations!
Happy New Year!!!

I'm beginning to wonder if anything I can do will be to these new levels! :confused::(:) A friend just spent $55k on a vehicle and it seems to me such a waste but a camera ... now that would be good value (or maybe not).:unsure:

Jack

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Pochards have unusual habits. The males migrate to cold England in the winter while the females go off to live it up in Spain.

View attachment 188029
I like the Pochard!
You are lucky: here the weather is between ISO 25000 and 50000. The mountain is just few km from my place and normally one can "count" the trees there. Today I don't see the mountain because of the rain. And the forecast is for few more days like this (but I hope they are wrong... at least for few hours).:sleep:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Finally got the 90D and am rather quite impressed with it.....
First shot is with the Sigma 150-600mm and the second shot is with the Canon 100-400mm ii.
View attachment 188032View attachment 188033
Very nice shots! As I have written a couple of times, the 90D pairs very well with the 100-400mm II and Sigma 150-600mm. You used iso 1600 and there is no real noise after the Topaz treatment, giving the lie to that its IQ blows up after 800 iso.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0