Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I do compare Canon with other gear to see whether it's worth expanding my kit, especially as the older I get, the lighter I want it. Here is some new experience that might be of interest to fellow birders. I have been intrigued by the Nikon 300mm f/4E PF for some time now as it something Canon should have made to replace the antique EF 300/4. But there are problems reported.
There are well-documented VR issues with some 800 series bodies where the VR interacts with the shutter at ~1/100-200s, and the VR is reported weak https://opticallimits.com/nikon_ff/1005-nikkorafs3004pfvrff There is clear copy variation: 3/3 copies decentred https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-300mm-f4e-pf-ed-vr the first copy decentered https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/02/addendum-to-the-nikon-300-f4e-pf-ed-vr-test/
The decentreing causes loss of IQ at edges. The Lenstip sample needs stopping down to f/5.6 for real sharpness and in general stopping down helps.
Although good reports from trustworthy Nikon forum members and Thom Hogan show that there are some very good copies and its snappy AF is great for action.

I have looked at two copies. The first was on sale locally, used but just a few months old. It was ghastly, soft at 12m, very soft at 19m and obvious vertical shutter shake at 1/320-500s on a D500 that doesn't have the VR problem. The second copy in a local store was good, and with f/5.6 better than f/4. But, the 100-400mm II at 300mm on my 90D was sharper and with more contrast in the centre and far more so at the edges than the 300mm PF on a D500 at f/5.6.
A good copy of the 300mm f/4E is fine if you are a Nikon shooter and want a very light prime in your bag to accompany a longer telephoto. For the average Joe like me, a 90D (or 5DSR) with a 100-400mm II is a far more versatile and sharper combination, although heavier and not as good for fast BIF as a 300E/D500.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Got this shot of a Shy Albatross the other day just after it had finished feasting on a dead cuttlefish. Not the biggest of the Albatross family but still boasts an impressive wingspan of a touch over 2.5m

Impressive indeed; its wingspan didn't even fit the framing of your picture :LOL:
Apart from the pun... nice picture!
W.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Also a couple of tufted ducks - they are less rare in this environment and easier to capture...
IMG_7985.jpg
7DmkII, 100-400L II at 400mm f/6.3, 1/640s ISO500

IMG_8056.jpg
7DmkII, 100-400L II at 400mm f/5.6, 1/640s ISO1250

IMG_7997.jpg
7DmkII, 100-400L II at 400mm f/6.3, 1/800s ISO500

There was an abundance of males vs. females - strange... Maybe the females favour a different climate ;)
W.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Travel_Photographer

Travel, Landscape, Architecture
Aug 30, 2019
Hi All, I've been enjoying all your photos for a while now. Really beautiful work.

I'm not really a "bird photographer" (yet anyway), I primarily do architecture, travel and landscapes, but I do enjoy photographing the occasional bird I pass in my neighborhood when I go for a walk. These weren't photographed to be particularly artistic as I was mostly just testing out various camera / lens combinations to see what works best, but I figured I'd post anyway as these birds are a little different. Going forward, I'll work a bit more on the artistic side of it.

This is all in Florida right around my house. Most of the land around me is designated as nature preserve, so we get lots of birds and animals that naturally flock here (no pun intended). Anyway, hope to post a bit more as I get more accustomed to framing bird portraits.

All photos taken with either Canon EOS M6, 5D Mark II or EOS RP. Lens is either EF 400mm F5.6L or EF 70-200 F4 IS.

Red Shouldered Hawk

1.jpg

Anhinga

2_Anhinga.JPG

Sandhill Crane

3.JPG

Blue Heron

4.JPG

5.jpg

Egret

6_Egret.jpg

7.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Hi All, I've been enjoying all your photos for a while now. Really beautiful work.

I'm not really a "bird photographer" (yet anyway), I primarily do architecture, travel and landscapes, but I do enjoy photographing the occasional bird I pass in my neighborhood when I go for a walk. These weren't photographed to be particularly artistic as I was mostly just testing out various camera / lens combinations to see what works best, but I figured I'd post anyway as these birds are a little different. Going forward, I'll work a bit more on the artistic side of it.

This is all in Florida right around my house. Most of the land around me is designated as nature preserve, so we get lots of birds and animals that naturally flock here (no pun intended). Anyway, hope to post a bit more as I get more accustomed to framing bird portraits.

All photos taken with either Canon EOS M6, 5D Mark II or EOS RP. Lens is either EF 400mm F5.6L or EF 70-200 F4 IS.

Red Shouldered Hawk

View attachment 188114

Anhinga

View attachment 188115

Sandhill Crane

View attachment 188116

Blue Heron

View attachment 188117

View attachment 188118

Egret

View attachment 188119

View attachment 188120
Pretty sweet images for someone who is 'not a bird photographer'

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
Nice shot. Did you crop or were 2.5m too wide for the frame? We got lots of albatrosses in the Galapagos, and I should post one or two.
I did crop for this composition. Was only shooting with the 70-200 and if you want to get some detail on the face one must sacrifice some of the wings ;)

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

Red Shouldered Hawk

View attachment 188114

Anhinga

View attachment 188115

Sandhill Crane

View attachment 188116

Blue Heron

View attachment 188117

View attachment 188118

Egret

View attachment 188119

View attachment 188120
Sorry, you will be hooked. We had a great birdwatching holiday in Florida a year ago. It's a super place for birding.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Travel_Photographer

Aug 30, 2019
Pretty sweet images for someone who is 'not a bird photographer'

Ha, thanks, appreciated. I'm not used to "moving subjects" and usually shoot 95% on a tripod, so this is definitely something new and fun for me. I very much appreciate all of your talents in photographing your birds, it is not easy!

Upvote 0

Travel_Photographer

Aug 30, 2019
Sorry, you will be hooked. We had a great birdwatching holiday in Florida a year ago. It's a super place for birding.

Yes, I can definitely see birding becoming a new part of my photography. It is both incredibly relaxing and really enjoyable. (Plus I get a little well-needed exercise!).

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
Aussie, here are a couple of albatross shots. The birds kissing was taken by my wife. She thinks they are great, pairing for life.
We had quite hike on the island of Espanola.
View attachment 188128View attachment 188129

Nice. They were about the only thing we did not see in the Galapagos but that was not surprising as we did the central and western islands and I think the Albatross tend to be more on the eastern and southern islands. They really are quite a unique looking Albatross compared to all the others I have seen

Upvote 0