Show your Bird Portraits

Had a barred owl visit yesterday evening to squirrel hunt. Should have used a higher ISO as quite a few shots weren't perfectly sharp.
5DMKIV, ISO 1600, f 7.1, 1/100 sec, 600II + 1.4X III on monopod.View attachment 188890
I guess this thread is not about image processing, but I've been playing with tone mapping some single exposure files and wanted this group's opinion. How's this version?_I4A5450_hires_tonemapped_lores.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I guess this thread is not about image processing, but I've been playing with tone mapping some single exposure files and wanted this group's opinion. How's this version?

Nice shots. I like both, but you have to make your own choice. Do it how you like and you photos will show your style.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I guess this thread is not about image processing, but I've been playing with tone mapping some single exposure files and wanted this group's opinion. How's this version?View attachment 188900

For me it's a bit saturated, but it's a subjective topic. Sometimes I'll process a picture and then come back to it later and wonder what I was thinking. Then I'll change it and months later I like the first chop better..

Nowadays I try to leave things as SOTC as I can. I've finally realized that I can't fix bad pictures with PP. lololol...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I guess this thread is not about image processing, but I've been playing with tone mapping some single exposure files and wanted this group's opinion. How's this version?View attachment 188900
Translating the polite comments so far and what I like, the second is unnatural. Some of the pros really boost the colours etc to make vibrant images but I belong to the keep it as natural as possible school.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Translating the polite comments so far and what I like, the second is unnatural. Some of the pros really boost the colours etc to make vibrant images but I belong to the keep it as natural as possible school.
That's my feeling exactly - it has to look natural. Unless of course you are going for a special look that is not meant to be natural.

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The Peregrine Falcon is back! Last year, I posted some photos of the chick, like the one at the top here. Now the adult is getting ready to nest. They remind of Shelley's lines
'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
as they stare imperiously down.
3Q7A0504-DxO_Peregrine_falcon_chick_faceon_560mm_morecrop.jpgDSC_4868-DxO_Peregrine_1.jpgDSC_4873-DxO_Peregrine_1.jpg

Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0