Show your Bird Portraits

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
A White-breasted nuthatch, today. Usually I cannot get close to them but this one was desperate for food, I guess.
View attachment 189603

Funny how different birds in different locations are variously approachable. Having a feeder at my place, this is one of the easy birds that are very approachable. However, before the feeder and out in the bush, I would have said the same thing.

That's a very nice pose and so typical, perfect.

Jack

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Here in Canada there aren't very many flying Tits and understandably the name conjures up other images than birds. If there were, I'm sure the politically correct enforcers would have ensured that the name got changed. Maybe Chickadee is already and example??

Oh, I see via an internet article that Great Tits a killing other birds and are also migrating all over - sad.

Jack

• Wow
  • Haha
Upvote 0
Somewhat constrained on places to shoot lately, and still working but I did find some time to get out to the Salton Sea and lay down in the mud by some shallow pools. The star of the afternoon was a Yuma Clapper Rail, which deigned to stop and preen in a fairly open area just across from me.
SS13001-X3.jpg

1DX MK II : 600 II w/ 1.4X III 1/640 : f/8 : ISO 1000

Reactions: 17 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
A lot of very nice shots here during the time I'm guiding my daughter where and how to shoot macro-lens... And where is it save to go because there are practically no other people over there (COVID-19)... Today is actually first day I was able to take some real shots of birds. And even more: The Bufflehead is new species in my collection (I have to take better - for such a hot and humid day as of today ~23 meters were to much)! All the rest are rather common and I have posted better photos before, these now are just... to have photos of some birds today:)!
BTW - the Bristle-thighed Curlew is by far the rarest bird (for the world) in this series but it is much more common here on the Islands than the Bufflehead! Note the personal number and especially the GPS antenna - it's how we know they are flying non-stop from Alaska to Hawaii!!! Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to sneak closely - to take a nice photo when they already went over the molt and have a nice feathers - ready to go back to Alaska!

DSC_0526_DxO.jpgDSC_1046_DxO-1.jpg
DSC_1075_DxO.jpgDSC_0700_DxO.jpgDSC_1002_DxO.jpgDSC_1004_DxO.jpgDSC_1007_DxO-1.jpg

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

AaronT

CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I really like the Cardinal. Well done, Aaron.
Thanks Click. I was disappointed after the photo when I realized that due to some lens switching I shot the photo without my 1.4TC on my 100-400. I usually manage to get a bit more detail from that type of photo. The Cardinal posed perfectly and the light was right. Of course no-one will notice except me. ;)

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Being largely confined to the garden, I am finding more and more birds in it. Not so much a background for great photos but an opportunity to catalogue them. This morning a female Great Spotted Woodpecker, high up a tree.I took about a 100 shots between the branches and twigs and got only one or two clean shots.
DSC_8215-DxO_Female_Great_spotted_woodpecker_vg_mc_U.jpg

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0