Shutter/mirror problem 5D MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mt Spokane Photography said:
When you start seeing that black line accross the top of a frame at high shutter speeds, but not low shutter speeds, stop using the camera and send it in for a new shutter before it falls apart or damages the mirror box.

Thanks - then I will do just that. For this trip I decided to travel light meaning one camera body and two lenses..... :(

/Claes

Upvote 0
Nov 23, 2010
CHL said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
When you start seeing that black line accross the top of a frame at high shutter speeds, but not low shutter speeds, stop using the camera and send it in for a new shutter before it falls apart or damages the mirror box.

Thanks - then I will do just that. For this trip I decided to travel light meaning one camera body and two lenses..... :(

/Claes

Still on warranty? A shutter is expensive :S

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
dstppy said:
Just curious of the age/shutter count when this happened (or can start happening)

Thanks.

Anytime. The average shutter lasts for 150K, but there are always ones that fail the first week. Many things can reduce the shutter life, frequent use of very high shutter speeds, high temperatures, shock, humidity, lots of things could possibly affect life of the shutter. I've never had one fail, but it does happen.

Just get it fixed.

Upvote 0
CHL said:
/Claes

Same thing happened to me on a trip to Oregon last fall... truly a bummer when you have beautiful waterfalls and fall foliage staring you in the face and you have nothing to capture it with!

It was the shutter on my XSi... it blew up after spending a day photographing the Oregon shoreline in heavy drizzle (I suspect that it wasn't a coincidence).

I sent it to Canon... and it was only $200 to fix... they got it right back to me and it works great (although I did realize that I was using my XSi in ways it wasn't meant for and bought a 7D). Now I carry both bodies with me all the time ;-)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.