Side by side comparison of the Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R and Canon EOS RP

Aug 26, 2015
l find it very strange that the R6 is rumored to be released before the R5, but Canon has not presented us with a photo of the R6, yet. Makes me wonder if they are just going to use the body of the RP as an R6, with the different specs of the R6?
The are definitely going to be related in some ways, but the body will receive some changes, for sure, it will become a bit bigger with the IBIS and I think it will get the bigger battery (hopefully the same as the R5) and the dual card slots moved to the right side, same position as the R5 instead of being next to the battery.

They are not playing quite the same teaser game with the R6, because it does not have the attention-grabbing features of the R5. It does not matter if they show it earlier, it won't affect the actual release of the camera. The RP launch was much more discreet compared to the R.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
If the R5's body is thicker than the R, I assume that means the grip for the R won't be compatible, even if the batteries are the same physical dimensions.
I think you're right. It would also be very unlikely for Canon to make the R grip compatible with the R5. I would assume the R5 grip will also have a joystick to mirror the main body.

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
The touch screen plays a role in af point selection too of course, using the top right part of the screen to drag and drop your af point without taking your eye off the viewfinder. This would somewhat compensate the missing touch screen af on button the 1dx iii has.

However, how easy would it be to reach that screen with your thumb while holding the camera? Any thoughts from current R owners?

And I’m happy Canon gets it, the R5 looks like a very comfortable camera to hold and use

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
No top-down view, so we can compare the depth? Maddening!
I think there have been some views earlier that show the grip is a little deeper than the R which may not be a bad thing as the R while OK would benefit from a little more size on the grip to feel comfortable.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

Feb 13, 2020
The touch screen plays a role in af point selection too of course, using the top right part of the screen to drag and drop your af point without taking your eye off the viewfinder. This would somewhat compensate the missing touch screen af on button the 1dx iii has.

However, how easy would it be to reach that screen with your thumb while holding the camera? Any thoughts from current R owners?

And I’m happy Canon gets it, the R5 looks like a very comfortable camera to hold and use
Its an interesting question as yes, there is the facility to change focus point whilst having the camera to your eye & it could just be me but I find it very difficult to touch the screen whilst holding the camera to my eye. Its easier to either:
use the magnify button and the directional buttons on the rear to move it around, which is ok but very slow. OR
Move the camera away from my eye and adjust the focus point on the touch screen.
Neither are ideal. As I say, it may be me that needs more practice.
I was really excited about the AF On button on the 1DX Mk11 as that seems to solve all those problems so disappointing its not on the R5 but I suppose if they did put it on it would increase the cost and probably detract from an eventual mirrorless version of the 1DX?

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

Feb 13, 2020
do you find it hard because the screen is hard to reach with your thumb, or just the overall experience?
I think this is a combination of things, As most of the images I take are landscape or stationary there is no hurry, so I find I often have the focus point in the centre of the screen and compose the picture then if needed adjust the specific focus point by moving the camera away from my eye and adjusting the focus point via the touchscreen. the odd times I have wanted to move away from it being in the centre and needed to move it in a hurry, I have struggled to use the touch screen as with my eye to the EVF, my face, cheek, nose just gets in the way. its just not a nice experience. Ive resorted to using the rear buttons to move it around but its a little slower I suppose.
Unless you are adjusting focus regularly like this, its unlikely you will get comfortable with this method. I can see the R5 having the same issue but with the benefit of having the joy stick which should be much faster.
I'm not a professional and only just starting to take more control over things like this and be a better photographer so all of this could just be me not practicing enough?

Im not sure that helps you sorry.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston

I use this focusing mode on the RP, and I find it very comfortable to use, no need to move the eye away from the EVF. This could be a combination of the RP being more compact so one does not need to reach so far, and I have pretty large hands. Note that you can use what they call the "relative" mode in which movements of the thumb to the left move the focus point left, etc.. so rather than having to reach far to the left you can do a series of small left-heading strokes starting close to the right edge of the rear screen.

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
I think this is a combination of things, As most of the images I take are landscape or stationary there is no hurry, so I find I often have the focus point in the centre of the screen and compose the picture then if needed adjust the specific focus point by moving the camera away from my eye and adjusting the focus point via the touchscreen. the odd times I have wanted to move away from it being in the centre and needed to move it in a hurry, I have struggled to use the touch screen as with my eye to the EVF, my face, cheek, nose just gets in the way. its just not a nice experience. Ive resorted to using the rear buttons to move it around but its a little slower I suppose.
Unless you are adjusting focus regularly like this, its unlikely you will get comfortable with this method. I can see the R5 having the same issue but with the benefit of having the joy stick which should be much faster.
I'm not a professional and only just starting to take more control over things like this and be a better photographer so all of this could just be me not practicing enough?

Im not sure that helps you sorry.

thanks for your thoughts!

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
These comparison images are very helpful, thanks. I have used the EOS R on several occasions, with different glass (small/light and large/heavy). The R never felt as natural or as comfortable in my hands as my DSLRs do. I have owned many DSLRs, and - like a pair of shoes when I try them on in store - I know which ones will be a 'fit' from a few minutes of trying (But I have used a number of EOS R cameras for hours). The AF button on the R didn't work well for me. And the M-Fn bar really didn't serve me well either.

The R5 on the other hand, seems to fit what would work much better for me. The positioning of buttons on my 7D was/is almost perfect, and the 80D is pretty much the perfect size/weight... so it looks like the R5 is likely going to work very well for me, with the button placement. Interestingly, the AF-On button is just to the left of the thumb will rest when gripping the camera (and not pressing any buttons) - whereas the AF on my 7D and 80D, and the 5DIV is to the right. So that will be an interesting aspect to get used to / adjust my muscle memory to.

I do miss the AF joystick of my 7D, for certain AF point adjustements. Having said that, on my M5 - I do use the rear touchscreen to move the AF points very effectively (which I expect will be similar with the R5). So I'm glad the R5 has a joystick, touchscreen option (presumably) AND the bigger scroll wheel (more like my 7D than my 80D, which I'm very pleased to see). The 7D rear scroll wheel is a better size and tactile feel than my 80D's. The R rear button arrangement around the 'scroll wheel' there is really unhelpful for me.

The top buttons on the R5 look really well laid out too. I am very glad to see the R5's grip is deeper than the R, that'll help with heftier glass. (I felt the R lacked sufficient grip depth). The Rate button on the very top left of the back of the camera body hopefully will be programmable. It looks like a lot of thought and potentially user feedback went into the design of the R5, both features, functionality and ergonomics. I like the touch of the little space to open the rear screen too, things like that. I am hoping it uses the same batteries as my 7D / 80D and the 5D series. I have about 10 of them.

Overall, I am very much liking what I'm seeing from the R5... So... roll on full announcement and release!! Thanks Canon!!

Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
The are definitely going to be related in some ways, but the body will receive some changes, for sure, it will become a bit bigger with the IBIS and I think it will get the bigger battery (hopefully the same as the R5) and the dual card slots moved to the right side, same position as the R5 instead of being next to the battery.

They are not playing quite the same teaser game with the R6, because it does not have the attention-grabbing features of the R5. It does not matter if they show it earlier, it won't affect the actual release of the camera. The RP launch was much more discreet compared to the R.
Right. Canon wants to showcase the technology achievements and leadership of the R5 as it’s halo offering. Leaking stuff about the R6 only detracts from that message at this time. The R6 will have its moment in the spotlight eventually. It also does not serve Canon's marketing to have the two products competing with and compared to each other during the initial news coverage and reviews. It just dilutes and confuses the messaging for each camera. Thyey are really doing a spectacular job so far, IMHO.

Upvote 0