Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 DG OS HSM Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 1, 2013
brad-man said:
I wouldn't discount the advantage of having the USB port either, in case Canon messes with the AF firmware of a future camera. For that kind of money, it would be nice to be future proof. If I didn't already have the 70-200L ll, I would seriously be looking at this lens.

Excellent point! But for my money, I would hope the lens optics would start off being fantastic...the firmware update and adjustment capability, is a nice extra.

Upvote 0
CarlTN said:
Mr. Bad Duck, I don't know if I'm supposed to laugh or not. Pics of fertilizer? Hahah, ok. Tractors? That would be more interesting. Post some shots of tractors. Are you making money by selling prints of tractors? Sounds like fun!

Don't you think the person you haggled with, might read this post of how much you love the lens, and be angry that you're bragging how you got him to come down on the price? You know, because it's an "old lens" and nobody will want it? Hahaha...

Happy to amuse you. I understand that shooting farmwork is a bit unusual. But I pay for all my photoequipment doing so and I really enjoy it. Fertilizing is big money, and intersting in many ways. It´s probably what keep you alive since we would procuce way less food without it. That is beside the point though, the 120-300 is sharp sharp sharp and seems to handle som abuse. I will find out if the second statement is true this winter after the season.

Nah, don´t think anyone will read this and be angry with me. They got the deal, and they made money. Everyone is happy, except perhaps for the three stores that did not get the deal. My point was that if I made it, perhaps so can you.

As for optical formula, I don´t think it is changed in the new lens. I head somwhere about rumors of new coating on a piece of glass or two, but I talked to some of the guys doing repairs for Sigma in Sweden, they said that no new glass was in the lists of repairitems for the new lens. Don´t know if that is true or not.

Anyway I´m most pleased with the current non-sport-version.

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
"Sport" is just a marketing gimmick anyway. The aesthetics of the new lens' body look a lot better than the 2011 version, though. If it's true that the optical formula is not new, then I'm not sure the new lens is worth buying.

I wasn't trying to minimize the importance of fertilizer...just wondered why people would buy pictures of fertilizer shot with a supertelephoto (if indeed they do).

I know the lens is sharp...in the center. My problem is, I like zooms, but I also want to be able to take the lens to 600mm and get good sharpness. I guess I'm out of luck, but that's ok, I don't yet have the funding to purchase. I'm leaning back towards a great white I suppose...In the meantime I'll enjoy the Sigma zoom lens I recently bought.

Since you mention food crops...I would like to make one point. The ethanol mandate needs to go away...permanently...:-D. That way you can grow your maze for what God intended it for...food...:-D. And our government has one less drop in the ocean of wasted trillions that our children and grandchildren will fight and die over...and LNG needs to take its place. It's the only true bridge fuel. And public "investing" in "renewables" needs to go away forever also...

Upvote 0
Well, I haven´t sold any photos shot with the new lens yet. I have no doubt that I will though, but most pictures that I sell are being shot with the 24-105 L IS. Then some with 70-200 /4, some with 17-40 /L. But the exotic focal lenghts like 14 /2.8 and 300 /2.8 give those photos that stand out, even though they don´t always sell, but they might keep the viewer interested. And the competition may not use those lenses. I think it´s good to have them. I will know in a year or two if it was the ritght choise or not. And if it was a mistake, I don´t mind, it´s a fun lens to use.

I haven´t tried the lens with a 2x extender as I don´t own one. I will soon though, I just have to haggle the prices of a lenscoat and an extender... and perhaps a new tripod head... down a bit. Hehe great fun to haggle :)

Well, the energy situation in the world is problematic. We could save a LOT of energy by using better technology and be a bit smarter in our choises. For instance, the whole direct energy use in swedish farming could be saved from applying current technology and controlling the lighting of the swedish companies, so households not included, but the rest.
Of course, thats electricity and you are talking about fuel. In Sweden there are projects to make ethanol from forrestry bi-products, and that is cool. Biogas is aslo cool but there is a huge problem to be solved with the quality of the residues so that it´s safe to use (once again) as fertilizer. If we could solve that and build a nice infrastructure, a lot of fuel could be produced from garbage. I totaly agree that food should be fuel for humans and animals, not mashines.

Upvote 0
Warning - This whole post is off topic, ignore it if all you want is to read about the delay of the sigma 120-300.

Heh not your average kind of photography, agreed.
Actually I´m not that professional. It´s 10-20% of my income. And at the moment it covers my expenses but not much more.

I shoot everything related to swedish agriculture (tractors, yes. But also landscapes and animals. Hopefully portraits of farmers aswell. Have done som food photography aswell but that is not my primary niche.) My customers are
- Mashine companies who sell tractors, combines etc.
- Organizations like the Federation of Swedish Farmers, Focus on Nutrients to name a few.
- Advicing firms
- Magazines

The tractor images that sell are of modern models. And the tricky part is that the plough or wagon or harrow or whatever is pulled with the tractor needs to be of a brand that my costumer also sell. Some of my best photos are of course with the wrong combination, and unsellable.

I have really not made any advertising yet. When I do I will also try to make banks and ensurance companies interested in my photos, since farmers are great and reliable costumers for them. Then I think I will turn to authorities.

It´s not a big market - but easy to navigate and not too much competition. It´s also quite easy to sell photos since for instance John Deere tractors usually have the rocky mountains or some huge field in I don´t know.. montana or texas or something, and that is NOT what fields in Sweden look like. I simply give my clients more suitable photos.

So... all those guys who tell you to specialize are quite right, specialize like crazy and you buissnies will be easier to manage, your clients will be easier to find and they will more easily find you. Now enough of my friends know what I do, so the clients come to me. So in a year or two, with more work, I hope to go to 50% photography. The rest of the time I work as an advicer and agricultural engineer (Degree of Master of Science (one year) in technology from the Swedish University of Agriculture) with a focus on renewable energy and comunication. My vacation is spent on my parents farm. Working with... you guessed right, agriculture. So photographing and farming in practise and in therory...

That´s me. So basicly, my shooting style has to be fast and my gear needs to be robust. I need fast lenses because I can´t rely on tripods while climbing up and down tractors and combines. Im often running along the tractor I am photographing with a 14mm lens on my 5d mkII or III and the other body is laying in a ditch or in a tractor nearby. It´s dirty, dusty and loud. I had an insect running around inside the viewfinder of my 5d mkII last autumn. Litteraly, it was inside my camera. Then I think it died because it was in my bottom left corner of the viewfinder. Could not see it when I removed the lens, not when I removed the focus screen.... and now it´s gone and since the camera is working, I really don´t mind. Was a bit of a surprise though, seeing the little fellow running around in there.

So the 120-300 is fast and long. I can stay on the edge of a field and compress lines from wheeltracks or whatever to get leading lines to the tractor. It´s also great for shooting cows and sheep; while they are not wild, they behave diffently if you get close. So a photo of a cow shot with a 300 /2.8 is very different from a photo taken with 35/1.4 since the cow would be curious if you get too close, changing her body language. And they might bump you hard if you get too close. But then again, as I said before, I have not sold any photo made with the 120-300 yet and it will take a year or two before I know if it was a good investment, but I have a feeling it is.

Oh, that´s a long reply and way of topic for this thread. I´m sorry fot that. But you asked :)

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
The Bad Duck, that's a great post, and I say not completely off topic, because you're describing your photographic work...some of which is with a related lens to the thread topic.

I thank you very much for telling of your work, it sounds like a whole lot of fun! I am a freak when it comes to working in dust...I try to avoid it...but I am missing out on some good photography. The key is that you enjoy your work, and not only that, you are making money! I admire your work ethic, and your capitalistic spirit!

I bet your shots with the Swedish landscape in the background look great!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.