Sigma 120-300 f2.8 Sport

I just picked up a like-new copy of this lens, and so far, am loving it.
One the positive side:
1. Solid, Beautiful lens.
2. Image quality is great!
3. Zoom is a huge advantage over prime 300. I can cover home plate and first base from the same location.
4. Internal focusing, and zooming.
On the negative:
1. Heavy, more than a 300mm f2.8 prime.
2. Focus does not seem quite as fast, well vs my Canon 70-200 f2.8, which is VERY fast.
3. Zoom ring requires some effort. You can't spin it with one finger. it's big.

Untitled by RexPhoto91, on Flickr

TexPhoto said:
I just picked up a like-new copy of this lens, and so far, am loving it.
One the positive side:
1. Solid, Beautiful lens.
2. Image quality is great!
3. Zoom is a huge advantage over prime 300. I can cover home plate and first base from the same location.
4. Internal focusing, and zooming.
On the negative:
1. Heavy, more than a 300mm f2.8 prime.
2. Focus does not seem quite as fast, well vs my Canon 70-200 f2.8, which is VERY fast.
3. Zoom ring requires some effort. You can't spin it with one finger. it's big.
u

Nice shots. If you haven't done so already, get the dock and update the firmware. It is faster focusing after the update. Also go to your custum settings and set one of your custom modes to speed priority. That mode is much faster than standard and the accuracy seems fine. That's what I use on bif (speed priority, moderate is view,focus limit 30' up)

Upvote 0
wickidwombat said:
nice , what body are you using?

Thanks. These shots are with a 1D Mark IV.

candc said:
Nice shots. If you haven't done so already, get the dock and update the firmware. It s faster focusing after the update. Also go to your custum settings and set one of your custom modes to speed priority. That mode is much faster than standard and the accuracy seems fine. That's what I use on bif (speed priority, moderate is view,focus limit 30' up)

Thanks, and Thanks for the tip. I updated from 1.1 to 1.3 and it does seem snappier just here in the house. Will yes test more tomorrow.

Upvote 0
i have tried the lens with most of the available tc's, (canons, sigmas. kenkos, promasters) i would say that i use it 50% 1.4x, 25% 2x and 25% bare. i think the canon 1.4xiii and 2xiii are good. i have had the new sigma tc-2001 for a while and think its a bit better than the canon (about the same sharpness but less ca and faster focusing) i just got the tc-1401. my initial impression is favorable. if you already have the canon series iii converters then use them. if you don't and are buying tc's specifically for this lens then get the new sigmas

adult eagle 70d canon 1.4xiii (420)
immature eagle 7dii sigma tc-2001 (600)
crane crop 7dii sigma 2001 (600)
crane in field 70d canon 2xiii (600)

ps. the sigma 2001 and the kenko pro 1.4x stack and look suprisingly good on the 6d, its 840 f/8 and still focuses pretty fast. its not the camera i use for long shooting but it might be a pretty useful setup on a 5diii?

Attachments

• IMG_6542_DxOM.jpg
    IMG_6542_DxOM.jpg
    628.2 KB · Views: 442
  • 154A3095_DxOM.jpg
    154A3095_DxOM.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 480
  • crane profile.JPG
    crane profile.JPG
    499.9 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_5049_DxOM.jpg
    IMG_5049_DxOM.jpg
    624.4 KB · Views: 429
Upvote 0
chrysoberyl said:
TexPhoto and candc: many thanks! I have been awaiting reviews on this lenses. Can you recommend any good technical reviews? Except for The Digital Picture and slrgear reviews (I have read already) and I do not bother with dxo.

John

one of the admins here posted that they were in the process of a review, i don't know if it is still on or not? there is a fun one at petapixel. dxo rates the sigma as the best tele-zoom on the 5diii. many don't agree with the scores there but the measurements are useful to look at.

Upvote 0
Hi John, I'm not sure what you consider a "technical" review, but one of these on photographyblog.com might fit the bill:
http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/sigma_120_300mm_f2_8_dg_os_hsm_review/review_roundup/
You might also visit itreviews.co.uk
I use mine bare 80-90% of the time but am very happy with IQ and AF with the Canon 1.4x III (1D-X).
Cheers
Jim

Upvote 0