Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art Sharpness Tests from Lensrentals.com

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
basketballfreak6 said:
hey guys reposting from my thread at POTN just a real quick and dirty test (literally only spent like 10 mins taking shot and editing) because it's late and i just came home and i am super tired...but here is some preliminary astro sample shots from our suburban backyard

-------------------------------

ok guys...came home from work and it's clear skies, this more or less just a preliminary test as i rushed this coz it's late and i am tired and moon is rising, just a quick and dirty test and edit in lightroom

shot in our suburban backyard

to me coma is very well controlled...it's there but it's minimal, perfectly acceptable to me, YMMV of course, the slight elongated stars is probably just star trailing but also noticing possibly just the smallest amount of field curvature, when i have time over the weekend i'll set up my tracker to test it again (hopefully clear sky and before moon rises), but this should give you some idea

added +40 to vignetting slider in lightroom and it looks good already, i made no CA correction

this lens is looking super promising to me now

full frame:
Sigma 14mm f/1.8 quick coma test by Tony, on Flickr

top right corner crop:
Sigma 14mm f/1.8 quick coma test top right corner crop by Tony, on Flickr

top left corner crop:
Sigma 14mm f/1.8 quick coma test top left corner crop by Tony, on Flickr

centre crop:
Sigma 14mm f/1.8 art astro coma test centre crop by Tony, on Flickr

Could you perhaps post bottom-left and bottom-right crops?

Upvote 0
StudentOfLight said:
basketballfreak6 said:
hey guys reposting from my thread at POTN just a real quick and dirty test (literally only spent like 10 mins taking shot and editing) because it's late and i just came home and i am super tired...but here is some preliminary astro sample shots from our suburban backyard

-------------------------------

ok guys...came home from work and it's clear skies, this more or less just a preliminary test as i rushed this coz it's late and i am tired and moon is rising, just a quick and dirty test and edit in lightroom

shot in our suburban backyard

to me coma is very well controlled...it's there but it's minimal, perfectly acceptable to me, YMMV of course, the slight elongated stars is probably just star trailing but also noticing possibly just the smallest amount of field curvature, when i have time over the weekend i'll set up my tracker to test it again (hopefully clear sky and before moon rises), but this should give you some idea

added +40 to vignetting slider in lightroom and it looks good already, i made no CA correction

this lens is looking super promising to me now

full frame:
Sigma 14mm f/1.8 quick coma test by Tony, on Flickr

top right corner crop:
Sigma 14mm f/1.8 quick coma test top right corner crop by Tony, on Flickr

top left corner crop:
Sigma 14mm f/1.8 quick coma test top left corner crop by Tony, on Flickr

centre crop:
Sigma 14mm f/1.8 art astro coma test centre crop by Tony, on Flickr

Could you perhaps post bottom-left and bottom-right crops?

bottom right and left corners

Sigma 14mm f/1.8 ART coma test bottom left corner crop by Tony, on Flickr

Sigma 14mm f/1.8 ART coma test bottom right corner crop by Tony, on Flickr

Upvote 0
I have one of first uk copies. Great conditions last night this was manstone rock stiperstones Shropshire. 25 seconds f1.8 and ISO 2000 which is the lowest ISO I have ever shot mw with. Sharp wide open seeing v little coma and overall in a different league from my samyang 14 2.8. My canon 5d4 has such lovely raw files to work with

Attachments

• milky way manstone rock july 2017-51-Edit.jpg
    milky way manstone rock july 2017-51-Edit.jpg
    1,010.2 KB · Views: 205
Upvote 0