Sigma 18-35 1.8 art or Canon 24-70 f4l + viltrox focal reducer

Mark3794

I'm New Here
Sep 4, 2018
I am using a M50 mainly for videos and since my Tamron 17-50 broke i need a new lens, and i don't know which one is better for my needs.
I would really love the low light capability of the sigma however it lacks a bit of range, the stabilizer and i can't use it on a full frame camera.
The 24-70 would be fine with the reducer (2.8 is enough for me) however i am not sure about the image quality with the reducer.
Price is not a problem cause it's almost the same for both lenses.
Thanks in advance.

I have heard of extenders (1.4x and 2x) but have never heard of a reducer. I suppose this is an accessory to make EF lenses fit on M cameras? Considering it is not made by Canon I would be very dubious of the quality. If your aim is to keep it on all the time to get a shorter focal length then I think there is no point in that. You are better off getting a lens in the length you need, one made with an M mount. I have the 24-70 f4L which is a great lens, but I use it for full frame (5D4) with no attachments.

Normalnorm

EOS 7D MK II
Dec 25, 2012
The anecdotal information I have gathered regarding focal reducers (AKA speed boosters) is that IQ is very high.
I have felt that this was a great way to adapt FF lenses to smaller formats.

The real issue you face is an adapter that transmits the data properly for AF and exposure.

Mark3794

I'm New Here
Sep 4, 2018
The anecdotal information I have gathered regarding focal reducers (AKA speed boosters) is that IQ is very high.
I have felt that this was a great way to adapt FF lenses to smaller formats.

The real issue you face is an adapter that transmits the data properly for AF and exposure.
I already have the adapter and it works great with canon lenses, the af looks a bit slower but it's almost unnoticeable

Normalnorm

EOS 7D MK II
Dec 25, 2012
I already have the adapter and it works great with canon lenses, the af looks a bit slower but it's almost unnoticeable
I am referring to the speed booster performance. The Canon's adapter for the M series should work perfectly as they make it. The third party speed boosters are the unknown quantity.