Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 DC?

preppyak

EOS 6D MK II
Oct 18, 2011
May be fake, but, the rumored specs are thus. I hope it's true, because Sigma has really been pushing things forward lately

Designed for APS-C based DSLR cameras
Ultrasonic autofocus (HSM)
9 aperture blades
Type A (Art), which guarantees quality materials, metal bayonet
Filter size: 72mm
Minimum aperture: f/16
Lens construction: 17 elements in 12 groups
The maximum magnification ratio: 0.23x
Weight: 810 grams, length: 121mm
Angle of view: 76.5 - 44.2°
Internal zoom and focusing
Minimal focusing distance: 28cm

http://photorumors.com/2013/04/17/sigma-18-35mm-f1-8-dc-hsm-lens-leaked/

SpartanII

EOS T7i
Oct 27, 2012
www.hwellington.com
I think I'll stay aps-c a bit longer than planned. Certainly this should put pressure on Canon to become more innovative in the lens arena. Even more considering Sigma's success with their new 35mm f/1.4.

Albi86

EOS 6D MK II
Apr 24, 2012
Looks like the ultimate travel lens! At 35mm it will also do for a decent portrait lens on APS-C!

I'm becoming more and more a Sigma fanboy :p

xps

EOS 6D MK II
Oct 19, 2011
Middle Europe
Albi86 said:
Looks like the ultimate travel lens! At 35mm it will also do for a decent portrait lens on APS-C!

+1 if: the IQ is ok & the price not on Canons pricing orientated

that1guyy

EOS RP
Sep 16, 2012
GEEZUS I didn't even know that 1.8 on a zoom lens was possible. This is incredible. Good job Sigma.

Albi86

EOS 6D MK II
Apr 24, 2012
xps said:
Albi86 said:

+1 if: the IQ is ok & the price not on Canons pricing orientated
Don't expect it to be cheap. It's a unique lens, and Sigma will take its toll for it. Also, it seems that they didn't spare on special glass and on glass in general (810g!).

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Holy 5h!t ... f/1.8 on a zoom lens? ... if its real, that'd be freakin AWESOME!

funkboy

6D & a bunch of crazy primes
Jul 28, 2010
elsewhere
Judging from the way other ultra-large-aperture zooms are designed (e.g. the Oly 35-100 f/2) I'd guess that the design is basically a 35-70 f/3.5 with a reversed 2x teleconverter at the back.

I imagine that an FF version of this concept would weigh well north of a kilogram (& cost well north of a kilobuck).

Kudos to Sigma for being innovative once again. Hopefully this will show C & N that there's real demand for more large-aperture lenses.

Viggo

EOS 5D SR
Dec 13, 2010
funkboy said:
Judging from the way other ultra-large-aperture zooms are designed (e.g. the Oly 35-100 f/2) I'd guess that the design is basically a 35-70 f/3.5 with a reversed 2x teleconverter at the back.

I imagine that an FF version of this concept would weigh well north of a kilogram (& cost well north of a kilobuck).

Kudos to Sigma for being innovative once again. Hopefully this will show C & N that there's real demand for more large-aperture lenses.
I've said this before and I'll say again, do we really mind a 1.4 kg lens that covers 24-70 at f1.8? We carry the 70-200 with that weight with no issues, so why not a 24-70?

Albi86

EOS 6D MK II
Apr 24, 2012
Viggo said:
funkboy said:

I've said this before and I'll say again, do we really mind a 1.4 kg lens that covers 24-70 at f1.8? We carry the 70-200 with that weight with no issues, so why not a 24-70?
I think there would be problems in doing a sharp lens with those features. If you look at the MTF charts for this Sigma it's clear that border performance suffers quite a bit wide open - and it's only a 15 MP APSC.

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
jcoz said:
Good size comparison to give you an idea of size and weight with something you might be familiar with, but not a fair lens comparison...the Canon is for FF cameras..not just APS-C.
Still... A very exciting lens! I have the new 35mm f/1.4 and it ROCKS!
Can't use this one though as I am a FF user...but I hope the specs are incredible....I want the whole Art Line to be fantastic!

bchernicoff

EOS 7D MK II
Jul 9, 2011
Quick someone gripe about the lack of OS! ;D I kid.

Seriously though, great job Sigma! Love my trio of Sigma 1.4 primes!

pierceography

EOS RP
Sep 10, 2012
I'm not gonna get too excited for this until we see actual photos and MTF charts.

And it being for crop bodies only is a huge disappointment. I get that FF lenses are more difficult to engineer, and this is a good start... but I would have loved for this to be a FF lens.

But regardless, kudos to Sigma. They're clearly stepping their game up of late.