Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2011
May be fake, but, the rumored specs are thus. I hope it's true, because Sigma has really been pushing things forward lately

Designed for APS-C based DSLR cameras
Ultrasonic autofocus (HSM)
9 aperture blades
Type A (Art), which guarantees quality materials, metal bayonet
Filter size: 72mm
Minimum aperture: f/16
Lens construction: 17 elements in 12 groups
The maximum magnification ratio: 0.23x
Weight: 810 grams, length: 121mm
Angle of view: 76.5 - 44.2°
Internal zoom and focusing
Minimal focusing distance: 28cm

http://photorumors.com/2013/04/17/sigma-18-35mm-f1-8-dc-hsm-lens-leaked/

Apr 24, 2012
xps said:
Albi86 said:
Looks like the ultimate travel lens! At 35mm it will also do for a decent portrait lens on APS-C!

I'm becoming more and more a Sigma fanboy :p

+1 if: the IQ is ok & the price not on Canons pricing orientated

Don't expect it to be cheap. It's a unique lens, and Sigma will take its toll for it. Also, it seems that they didn't spare on special glass and on glass in general (810g!).

Upvote 0

funkboy

6D & a bunch of crazy primes
Jul 28, 2010
elsewhere
Judging from the way other ultra-large-aperture zooms are designed (e.g. the Oly 35-100 f/2) I'd guess that the design is basically a 35-70 f/3.5 with a reversed 2x teleconverter at the back.

I imagine that an FF version of this concept would weigh well north of a kilogram (& cost well north of a kilobuck).

Kudos to Sigma for being innovative once again. Hopefully this will show C & N that there's real demand for more large-aperture lenses.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
funkboy said:
Judging from the way other ultra-large-aperture zooms are designed (e.g. the Oly 35-100 f/2) I'd guess that the design is basically a 35-70 f/3.5 with a reversed 2x teleconverter at the back.

I imagine that an FF version of this concept would weigh well north of a kilogram (& cost well north of a kilobuck).

Kudos to Sigma for being innovative once again. Hopefully this will show C & N that there's real demand for more large-aperture lenses.

I've said this before and I'll say again, do we really mind a 1.4 kg lens that covers 24-70 at f1.8? We carry the 70-200 with that weight with no issues, so why not a 24-70?

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2012
Viggo said:
funkboy said:

I've said this before and I'll say again, do we really mind a 1.4 kg lens that covers 24-70 at f1.8? We carry the 70-200 with that weight with no issues, so why not a 24-70?

I think there would be problems in doing a sharp lens with those features. If you look at the MTF charts for this Sigma it's clear that border performance suffers quite a bit wide open - and it's only a 15 MP APSC.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
jcoz said:

Good size comparison to give you an idea of size and weight with something you might be familiar with, but not a fair lens comparison...the Canon is for FF cameras..not just APS-C.
Still... A very exciting lens! I have the new 35mm f/1.4 and it ROCKS!
Can't use this one though as I am a FF user...but I hope the specs are incredible....I want the whole Art Line to be fantastic!

Upvote 0
I'm not gonna get too excited for this until we see actual photos and MTF charts.

And it being for crop bodies only is a huge disappointment. I get that FF lenses are more difficult to engineer, and this is a good start... but I would have loved for this to be a FF lens.

But regardless, kudos to Sigma. They're clearly stepping their game up of late.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.