Sigma 20mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Appears

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
A new Sigma Art series lens has leaked. It looks like Sigma is adding a 20mm f/1.4 DG Art to their already stellar Art series lineup.</p>
<p><strong>Sigma 20mm f/1.4 DG Art Specifications:</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>Designed for 24×36 DSLR cameras</li>
<li>Lens construction: 15 elements in 11 groups</li>
<li>One large-diameter aspherical element</li>
<li>Two FLD elements and five SLD elements to best correct chromatic aberrations</li>
<li>In-lens HSM autofocus motor. New mechanism for full-time manual override in autofocus mode</li>
<li>Total length: 129.8mm</li>
<li>Maximum diameter: 90.7mm</li>
<li>Weight: 950g</li>
<li>9 diaphragm blades, rounded</li>
<li>Maximum magnification: 1:7.1 (0.14x)</li>
<li>Designed to minimise flare and ghosting</li>
<li>Very low distortion</li>
<li>Designed to minimise coma aberration</li>
<li>Available in Canon, Nikon and Sigma mounts</li>
<li>RRP: ¥ 162,000 (over-the-counter price should be around and above ¥ 120,000)</li>
</ul>

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Random Orbits said:
chrysoberyl said:
'•Designed to minimise coma aberration'. Yes, please!

+1. If IQ is up to snuff, this may be the first Sigma I buy.

One might imagine that in this unique case, the resolution testing we usually look for first becomes the second most important test for prospective buyers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but night sky coma is the real world test that makes or breaks this lens commercially, right?

- A

Upvote 0

JMZawodny

1Dx2, 7D2 and lots of wonderful glass!
Sep 19, 2014
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com
ahsanford said:
One might imagine that in this unique case, the resolution testing we usually look for first becomes the second most important test for prospective buyers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but night sky coma is the real world test that makes or breaks this lens commercially, right?

- A

Right. Coma, or lack there of, is THE key spec for astro. 20mm f/1.4 certainly gets the juices flowing if indeed coma is well controlled.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
NancyP said:
MMM. How to justify, given that I have a beloved Zeiss 21mm f/2.8? 4x the photons would be wonderful, if coma is tiny.

I'm not an astro person, but doesn't 20mm + f/1.4 blow the doors off of other common choices for astro?

I've read charts like these which consider light gathering vs. FL max shutter and such, and wouldn't a 20 f/1.4 -- if coma was acceptable -- net some terrific shots?

- A

Attachments

• comparing-lenses.jpg
    comparing-lenses.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 4,109
Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
mrzero said:
That looks pretty awesome. I might just go for that bad boy instead of the 16-35/4. Different beasts, of course, but a tough choice for a single spot in the bag.

Damn...just when I thought that I had everything...I had the Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L II...and a Zeiss 21mm f/2.8.
So I sold off my Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L II to buy the new Canon 16-35mm f/4L as is was such a sharper lens...and it is sharp! It was so sharp...that I stopped needing my Zeiss and sold it, as it was redundant at that point (which I found hard to believe..yes..did I mention that the new Canon Zoom is SHARP!? LOL!).... ...anyway..hmm...20-21mm is one of my favorite sweet spots for shooting....and I can have f/1.4 AND autofocus! hmmmm.....I already have the 35mm and 50mm Arts..and I think that they are stellar if you get a good copy and calibrate them correctly on the dock. Just well-priced stellar lenses..so...um...Sigma...come take my money!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
NancyP said:
MMM. How to justify, given that I have a beloved Zeiss 21mm f/2.8? 4x the photons would be wonderful, if coma is tiny.

I'm not an astro person, but doesn't 20mm + f/1.4 blow the doors off of other common choices for astro?

I've read charts like these which consider light gathering vs. FL max shutter and such, and wouldn't a 20 f/1.4 -- if coma was acceptable -- net some terrific shots?

- A

Yep it would score around 3200 on that scale, significantly better than anything else on there. Though it really comes down to coma and vignetting. If there is 5 stops of vignetting then it isn't really f/1.4 for 50% of the sky.

Upvote 0

vscd

5DC
Jan 12, 2013
Germany
This small familybased company surprises ones again. A 20mm f1.4... yay. Could be the first time that I buy a Sigma (at least a lens, I own the fabulous DP3M). The must be a new engineer-samurai inside the team, with intense karma :eek:

Count me in! Might as well start selling my Samyang 14mm.

I wouldn't sell my Samyang anytime... and the Samyang is nearly perfect, Coma-wise. And the 14mm Look is totally different from 20mm.

Upvote 0