Sigma 20mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Appears

Feb 8, 2013
Zanken said:
chmteacher said:
Thoughts on this for crop bodies? F 1.4 is much nicer than Canon's 35mm f/2 on full frame...

The Sigma 18-35mm looks to be about the same weight/size, but maybe half the cost?
It's a shame there aren't more ef-s primes. In theory they should be a hell of a lot smaller and cost less.

Just get the 18-35 Art if you're using crop (I did), you get the same focal length and probably the same light gathering. Apparently the Sigma 24mm Art (and many other f1.4 lenses) have a T-stop (light transmission) that's much worse than the f-stop, the bokeh and such effects will be correct, but there is nearly a stop of light lost within the lens. So if you're after bokeh and background blur then the wider aperture is necessary, but the 18-35A has very good light transmission and is nearly equivalent in terms of low light performance.
An APS-C sensor is still much smaller so you're not getting around the problem of surface area, but at least it's a crop lens with light gathering equivalent to full frame at f2.8.
The image on the 18-35A is at its best between 20-24mm, so I still wouldn't jump on a 20mm f1.4 lens for crop. Maybe 18mm, but it would still have to be a fantastic performer to significantly out-do the 18-35A even at the wide end. For anything wider you're probably better off just looking to dedicated Ultrawide lenses like the new 10-18 STM.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
3kramd5 said:
Canon Rumors said:
RRP: ¥ 162,000 (over-the-counter price should be around and above ¥ 120,000)

Out of curiosity, what percentage of canon rumors participants do you figure have an intuitive feel for what 100,000 yen means (as opposed to if you posted in euros or GBP or USD)?
120 000 yen is $1310 Canadian, $1020 U.S., or 2640 Samoan Talas.......

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but this is the first modern auto-focus lens to be released with an EF mount that is wider than 24mm. What do I mean by "modern"? Released since DSLRs became widely available (i.e. post Y2K.)

Did you mean prime? fastest instead of first? what about the 14mm f2.8 II?

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
9VIII said:
ahsanford said:
9VIII said:
Most of the technical points given are standard fare. "Low distortion" and "Corrected for CA" are labels applied to every lens they make.

If it does produce geometry as clean as the Fuji 14mmf2.8 then we have our best fast aperture wide angle lens ever. But I'm not holding my breath.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but each time one of these fast UWA lenses comes out, everyone gets geeked for astro use, but just one test photo of bad coma completely kills it's appeal.

This has happened a number of times in the past 12-18 months, hasn't it?

- A

Yup.

We've had a deluge of "decent performers" arrive lately, but I really wish someone would just make a "no holds barred" technical lens. Sharp across the frame, no Coma, no distortion, no CA, I don't care if it weighs 5lbs.
What you're looking for exists: the Zeiss Otuses 55mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.4, and the Zeiss (non-Otus) 15mm f2.8 UWA

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
dilbert said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but this is the first modern auto-focus lens to be released with an EF mount that is wider than 24mm. What do I mean by "modern"? Released since DSLRs became widely available (i.e. post Y2K.)
You are wrong:

Tamron 15-30
Canon 16-35 f/4 L IS
Canon 14 2.8L II
Canon 11-24
Even Canon 16-35 2/8L II has been released post Y2K

Unless you meant fixed focus. But you didn't say so...

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
tron said:
dilbert said:
You are wrong:

Tamron 15-30
Canon 16-35 f/4 L IS
Canon 14 2.8L II
Canon 11-24
Even Canon 16-35 2/8L II has been released post Y2K

Unless you meant fixed focus. But you didn't say so...

I think Dilbert meant for a prime lens.

I would say the EF 14mm f/2.8 USM was 2007, so no, it's not the first 'modern' one to his definition.

...and let's not forget the 11-24 f/4L USM, which we all know is just being used an 11mm prime. C'mon, people. :D

- A

Upvote 0
I still laugh when people say they use the Canon 24L for astrophotography. For that matter, the 16-35 2.8 mk2 as well.

Canon is continuing to get spanked in the lens department any wider than 35mm, and/or faster than f/4. I really hope this stops soon!

Dear Canon, you've got enough trophy lenses for now; pat yourselves on the back for the incredible-but-still-$3,000 11-24 f/4, and deliver some wide, fast glass for mere mortals to use. Sigma and Rokinon (and now Tamron too it seems) are mopping the floor with you.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Matthew Saville said:
I still laugh when people say they use the Canon 24L for astrophotography. For that matter, the 16-35 2.8 mk2 as well.

Canon is continuing to get spanked in the lens department any wider than 35mm, and/or faster than f/4. I really hope this stops soon!

Dear Canon, you've got enough trophy lenses for now; pat yourselves on the back for the incredible-but-still-$3,000 11-24 f/4, and deliver some wide, fast glass for mere mortals to use. Sigma and Rokinon (and now Tamron too it seems) are mopping the floor with you.

Matthew, did you get the shakes when this Sigma rumor dropped? Seems right up your alley, as the iffy rando AF problems of the Art line won't matter so much with astro.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
SloPhoto said:
Well - If this brings the same quality that the rest of the line has - and doesn't have a permanent hood rending filters challenging at best - I may be sending my Zeiss 21 packing.

SloPhoto: the limited evidence we have points to a permanent hood, but who knows?

- A

Attachments

• no hood for you.jpg
    no hood for you.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 574
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
9VIII said:
I hate to say it (after reading the comments on how much Landscape shooters need filters) but one of my first thoughts looking at this lens was that it has a built in lens hood.
Sorry.

Hopefully that means it performs well enough for people to want to use it regardless.

Yep. Daylight landscapers with CPL, ND and ND grad needs will (literally) have their hands full unless Lee or Wonderpana retrofit their systems to work with this lens.

The uses for this lens will be really specific without front-filtering: Astro, nighttime cityscapes, events, and maybe some environmental portraiture.

But let's be frank, I'm guessing 90% of the excitement in this forum is the hope of low coma for astro. A 20 f/1.4 with low coma is a dream lens for that camp.

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
9VIII said:
I hate to say it (after reading the comments on how much Landscape shooters need filters) but one of my first thoughts looking at this lens was that it has a built in lens hood.
Sorry.

Hopefully that means it performs well enough for people to want to use it regardless.

Yep. Daylight landscapers with CPL, ND and ND grad needs will (literally) have their hands full unless Lee or Wonderpana retrofit their systems to work with this lens.

The uses for this lens will be really specific without front-filtering: Astro, nighttime cityscapes, events, and maybe some environmental portraiture.

But let's be frank, I'm guessing 90% of the excitement in this forum is the hope of low coma for astro. A 20 f/1.4 with low coma is a dream lens for that camp.

- A

I don't know of a single landscape shooter who would use a 20mm f1.4 lens for anything other than astro landscapes. It would be pretty silly to go around with a 20 f1.4 lens for shooting daytime landscapes even if it did take filters.

This lens may indeed be designed specifically for astro work. Considering how so many people complain about most fast and wide lenses and poor coma, Sigma probably saw an opportunity to dominate that market segment.

Looking at the lens design, it is pretty obvious it was designed to use the bulbous front element and special glass throughout in order to correct issues that would be found in doing astro work. Vignetting is just as big of an issue as coma, IMO. I would take something like the Nikon 14-24 over even the Sammy 14 f2.8 for my astro landscape work due to the insanely low vignetting of the Nikon, even though it has worse coma. If the new Sigma 20mm lens has less than 2 stops of vignetting in the extreme corners and low coma, it would be a huge advantage over any other lens used for similar use.

If the new 20 f1.4 isn't a rockstar for astro work, then it pretty much has little to no other market that will buy it up. Not great for daytime landscapes, and not great for portraits either. Astro landscape photography is actually a much larger market than some people may think. Just a couple of hours looking at landscape images on 500px will show proof of that.

Upvote 0

JMZawodny

1Dx2, 7D2 and lots of wonderful glass!
Sep 19, 2014
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com
tpatana said:
preppyak said:
I'm betting the .25x wasnt possible with a formula that limits coma and is sharp across the frame...and the sales are in the latter two aspects.

Also if the .25x (missing) becomes problem on star photos, you have one helluva leg-zoom on you. Or you work for Nasa.

I do work for NASA ;)

Upvote 0