Sigma 20mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Appears

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
9VIII said:
Most of the technical points given are standard fare. "Low distortion" and "Corrected for CA" are labels applied to every lens they make.

If it does produce geometry as clean as the Fuji 14mmf2.8 then we have our best fast aperture wide angle lens ever. But I'm not holding my breath.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but each time one of these fast UWA lenses comes out, everyone gets geeked for astro use, but just one test photo of bad coma completely kills it's appeal.

This has happened a number of times in the past 12-18 months, hasn't it?

- A

Attachments

• Coma in New Wide Angle Lenses.jpg
    Coma in New Wide Angle Lenses.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,652
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
ahsanford said:
Antono Refa said:
Now I wonder why Canon never made a 20mm f/1.4L. Is Canon wrong to think there's no money in it, or Sigma wrong to think there is?

The latter, surely. Canon knows from 23 years of poor sales of the EF 20mm f/2.8 USM to not offer an L in this FL.

- A

Reviews make the 20mm f/2.8 a very poor performer, IQ wise, making it a poor basis to extrapolate from to an L lens.

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
9VIII said:
Most of the technical points given are standard fare. "Low distortion" and "Corrected for CA" are labels applied to every lens they make.

If it does produce geometry as clean as the Fuji 14mmf2.8 then we have our best fast aperture wide angle lens ever. But I'm not holding my breath.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but each time one of these fast UWA lenses comes out, everyone gets geeked for astro use, but just one test photo of bad coma completely kills it's appeal.

- A

The was the hope with the Sigma 24A too. According to TDP, the 35L II performs well against coma and is definitely an astro contender, but sometimes you want wider. The Zeiss 21 is a popular landscape/astro lens, but a 20A with good coma performance at f/1.4 is a winner. I almost don't care whether or not the 20A can AF or not.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
Mika said:
Maximum magnification: 1:7.1 (0.14x)

Sigma! The earlier 20/1.8 had better close focusing ability (0.25x) which made that lens cool, why not provide 0.2x here?

That F/1.4, though, is intriguing

I suppose it came to the choice between 0.25x or F/1.4, and they went with F/1.4.
The earlier 20mm f/1.8 was also a pretty weak lens. Soft in the corners, never really sharp at any aperture...never really found a niche that it fit.

I'm betting the .25x wasnt possible with a formula that limits coma and is sharp across the frame...and the sales are in the latter two aspects.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
ahsanford said:
9VIII said:

- A

Yup.

We've had a deluge of "decent performers" arrive lately, but I really wish someone would just make a "no holds barred" technical lens. Sharp across the frame, no Coma, no distortion, no CA, I don't care if it weighs 5lbs.

Upvote 0
Hold still my beating heart.

preppyak said:
The earlier 20mm f/1.8 was also a pretty weak lens. Soft in the corners, never really sharp at any aperture...never really found a niche that it fit.

I'm betting the .25x wasnt possible with a formula that limits coma and is sharp across the frame...and the sales are in the latter two aspects.

Yeah this is pretty much the same as the 24mm f1.8 versus the 24 Art. I currently have both and the min focal distance on the new one is really disappointing. I really love it for pets and silly, surreal portraits.

I borrowed a friend's 20mm f1.8 and I really enjoyed it for event shooting. The sense of action it conveys is really fun, but at times you have to get uncomfortably close to fill the frame (this is why I opted for the 24 originally instead).

I'm keen to see the performance/price of this, and whether it will take a filter (did I miss the filter thread size?). This combined with a lighter 24 option for portability will make me extremely happy for both event and landscape shooting.

Upvote 0
vscd said:
This small familybased company surprises ones again. A 20mm f1.4... yay. Could be the first time that I buy a Sigma (at least a lens, I own the fabulous DP3M). The must be a new engineer-samurai inside the team, with intense karma :eek:

Count me in! Might as well start selling my Samyang 14mm.

I wouldn't sell my Samyang anytime... and the Samyang is nearly perfect, Coma-wise. And the 14mm Look is totally different from 20mm.

I have to agree, thats what i thought after my previous post. I'm still looking forward to this Sigma, we'll see in the actual reviews soon.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
pwp said:
I'm loving this. Sigma keeps coming up with surprises. If the Astroboys get their clean coma and the rest of us get reliable AF, and it delivers better IQ than my L24 f/1.4II at f/1.4 (wouldn't be hard....) then they've got themselves another winner.

-pw
Well there are so many ifs in the above sentence... But count me in ... if ... all the above ...ifs are satisfied...

Upvote 0
I wanted the 50mm ART because well... its 50mm, but then the 35mm ART was better because I prefer environmental portraits, and it has good coma control - relatively - so its a higher priority, however now I really found my first ART - yeah if it delivers.

siegsAR said:
vscd said:
This small familybased company surprises ones again. A 20mm f1.4... yay. Could be the first time that I buy a Sigma (at least a lens, I own the fabulous DP3M). The must be a new engineer-samurai inside the team, with intense karma :eek:

Count me in! Might as well start selling my Samyang 14mm.

I wouldn't sell my Samyang anytime... and the Samyang is nearly perfect, Coma-wise. And the 14mm Look is totally different from 20mm.

I have to agree, thats what i thought after my previous post. I'm still looking forward to this Sigma, we'll see in the actual reviews soon.

yup 14mm is very different, and its too cheap to sell it for funding a new lens, and it preforms well enough.

Upvote 0