Sigma 24-70 2.8 hsm vs Canon L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally I am a Sigma fan, but the 24-70 was disappointing. First one I tried had a misaligned focus. It wasn't that bad, but it sure wasn't great either. Microadjusting was not an option since it was too far in front at 24 and too far back at 70. I had it for roughly a week and did some real life shooting and I felt there were too many misses for my taste. Second one I tried was broken, had a serious AF issue. (Kept stuttering, the guy in the store said he had never seen anything like it)
Since the store I bought the lens at had given me the option to upgrade to Canon's 24-70 for two weeks after getting the Sigma lens I bit the bullet, paid the price difference and now own my first L lens. I did a few test shots that turned out nice (focus appears to be right on target) but sadly couldn't do a real life test shoot yet. But from what I have seen so far the Canon does outperform the Sigma. Not to mention that Canon's version has much better macro capability and also fits a 77mm filter. (Which is important for the ring flash that I use)

Upvote 0
I find that Sigma's HSM system is fast but less accurate that Canon's USM/FTM system. I found the lens hood to be vastly inferior to both the Canon and Nikkor versions. Flare was a major issue compared to Canon, I get big red blobs on bright sunny days (1/4 frame), where as the Canon only had a little ghosting that can look quite nice. I think that there is little optically between them in real world sharpness. There's often a colour cast with Sigma lenses that's apparent when comparing with simular shot taken with Canon glass. The Sigma has better stopped down sunstars (if that's your thing) but the Canon is weather resistant and probably one of Canon's most well engineered lens. It's called a brick for good reason and I wonder how long a Sigma would work for you when you have already broken one Canon copy. Buy cheap and you buy twice, my Sigma lenses have had a far less reliability than any of my Canon kit. My Sigma 12-24 EX DG HSM has been back to Sigma three times in 6 years due to various mechanical failures...which is scary. Most of the time this lens sits in my camera bag along with all my other Canon glass and so far I've not had any issues with the Canon lenses alongside it.
I used to like Sigma glass, but I lost faith in them about 3 years ago. They simply don't make professional grade robust gear. Nice for amatures and people who are prepared to put up with Sigma issues, while consoling themselves that they have saved a few pounds, shilling and pence.

Upvote 0
J

Joseph

4jphotography said:
My trusty Canon 24-70l has finally succumbed to my abuse. Wondering if anyone has much real life experience with the Sigma HSM version? Would love to save a few $ if comparable, but can't afford to sacrifice too much IQ.

I own a Canon 24-70mm 2.8L and have lots of experience with it. A couple of my friends bought the Sigma 24-70 , and I decided to do a comparison. Zoom ring was definitely smoother on my Canon , not a big deal , but I like mine much better. Canons auto focus was noticably quicker in most standard lit situations , however , the Sigma seemed to focus just as quickly in low light. Now sharpness , one of the Sigmas I tested was very sharp , close to my Canon , but when I played with my other friends it seemed to be a hair off. The one that was sharp , had a little bit more fringing than my Canon. I noticed a little less contrast in both the Sigmas , but that can be easily fixed.

Overall I was impressed by the much cheaper Sigma model - but I will stick with my Canon since I want the best I can get for it's price range - if I could not afford another Canon , the Sigma would be my next choice though.

Upvote 0
N

necator

Consider also the old Sigma 24-70 EX DG (however not produced anymore?).

I have access to both, the Canon 24-70 and the Sigma 24-70 EX DG.

Sigma has on the 5D mk I and a 1Ds mk II a better resolution and less CA. Sigma however has problems wth AF at 70mm.
Canon has the better ergonomics and faster AF, less thendency to flare.

But, fact is also: Sigma has quite a problem with sample variation.
(Oh, Canon sometimes also has: I'm just into buying a Canon 50mm 1.4, and got already two lemons (really _bad_ ones).

Upvote 0
S

SpeechLess

infilm said:
@puqq,

Enough said....

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=372&Camera=9&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=101&CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

At least in this test the Canon destroys the Sigma, once again the proverb proves itself..... Buy the best, cry once.

That's the older sigma without HSM! I really would like to see a comparison like this with this newer HSM Sigma...

Upvote 0
Sep 12, 2011
SpeechLess said:
infilm said:
@puqq,

Enough said....

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=372&Camera=9&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=101&CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

At least in this test the Canon destroys the Sigma, once again the proverb proves itself..... Buy the best, cry once.

That's the older sigma without HSM! I really would like to see a comparison like this with this newer HSM Sigma...

I have the new IF EX DG sigma 24-70 and I can tell you it is a very very nice lens! It is a completely different animal to the older version.

Kev

Upvote 0
I had a few copies of the Sigma 24-70 MACRO EX DG lens. One of them was pretty good optically. Very sharp.

However, I hated the feel of the lens on the body. When it focuses, it pumps some air in/out of the body like an air gun. I didn't like that very much. And the zoom ring didnt feel the nice to use, as it's a bit too large diameter wise.

In general, shooting experiece with the canon is much better. I sold them and now I shoot with the canon.

there's an new Sigma 24-70 that is internal focusing (IF). It is much more expensive than the old sigma, but at that price, you might as well get a second hand canon instead.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.