Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM

I just wanted to add my thoughts about this lens after about six months of using it all over the world. As far as the optics go, it pretty much crushes my old Canon 35 1.4. Autofocus accuracy is pretty good, and the general construction of the lens is almost "L" quality. That said, I have found one major problem with it. While in Bangkok covering the protests last week, the autofocus driver died numerous times. It was clearly connected to the humidity (which never got THAT bad, about 80% while I was there). I have been in contact with Sigma, and will update when I receive a resolution. Obviously, the Sigma isn't weather sealed, but if the lens can't handle a mildly hot and humid afternoon, I'm not sure if I can give it my trust anymore.

All of that said, unless you are working in weather extremes, buy it, it's a hell of a lens.

Upvote 0
knoxtown said:
I just wanted to add my thoughts about this lens after about six months of using it all over the world. As far as the optics go, it pretty much crushes my old Canon 35 1.4. Autofocus accuracy is pretty good, and the general construction of the lens is almost "L" quality. That said, I have found one major problem with it. While in Bangkok covering the protests last week, the autofocus driver died numerous times. It was clearly connected to the humidity (which never got THAT bad, about 80% while I was there). I have been in contact with Sigma, and will update when I receive a resolution. Obviously, the Sigma isn't weather sealed, but if the lens can't handle a mildly hot and humid afternoon, I'm not sure if I can give it my trust anymore.

All of that said, unless you are working in weather extremes, buy it, it's a hell of a lens.

I personally like to use manual focus with this lens. Just treat it like a Zeiss. AF is bonus but I can live without it.

Upvote 0
Am I the only one who finds the purple fringing with this lens extreme in many situations? The sharpness is nice, the bokeh is a bit harsh and is very contrasty, which gives the lens an immediately identifiable "signature", the distortion is somewhat unpleasant (and correction isn't up to par, and doesn't work fully in Lightroom) but the pf is so bad that you can't even auto correct it most of the time.

I bought two copies and went back to the 35L, but I'm almost thinking to just keep the 35L and the Sigma 35L, and using them for different purposes. They're very different lenses.

Upvote 0
100 said:
mrsfotografie said:
Handheld, 1/30 sec, f/ 1.4, 2500 iso, 5D MkII.

Funny to see the city I live in on this website ;-)
I also like the Sigma 35mm Art, especially wide open.

It's a small world 8)

I lived in Delft for 16 yrs and come back every so often. It is very 'fotogeniek' and I have an entire category on my website dedicated to Delft ;) I see lots of familiar sites on your flickr site!

Upvote 0
Radiating said:
Am I the only one who finds the purple fringing with this lens extreme in many situations? The sharpness is nice, the bokeh is a bit harsh and is very contrasty, which gives the lens an immediately identifiable "signature", the distortion is somewhat unpleasant (and correction isn't up to par, and doesn't work fully in Lightroom) but the pf is so bad that you can't even auto correct it most of the time.

I bought two copies and went back to the 35L, but I'm almost thinking to just keep the 35L and the Sigma 35L, and using them for different purposes. They're very different lenses.

Please post an example, are the purple fringes around highlights or throughout the photo?

Upvote 0
I love this lens, it's my favorite at the moment, but then I don't have that many lenses. It's slightly soft wide open, but even at f/2 it's already much sharper. It doesn't seem to have much colour fringing as far as I can tell, my 85mm f/1.8 is much much worse for example.

This is a street portrait at f/1.4:
(if I can get posting images to work, this is my first attempt)

The Kinetika Bloco @ The Southbank Centre 01 by Jon Bagge, on Flickr

Jon

Upvote 0
docsmith said:
Eldar said:
I wrote earlier that focus seemed to have drifted with this lens. I have now done a new AFMA and I had to adjust from the original -2 to +4. Anyone else had the same experience?

Eldar...did this fix your issue...or did it reoccur? Is anyone else having focusing issues with the Sigma 35 A?
I´m about to regain my faith in the lens. Focus has been very accurate ant I have not noticed any further drifting. If it happen I will post the info here. I must admit I am a bit baffled. It was stable (and very good) for months, then it started drifting and now, after my last AFMA, it seems to have been totally stable.

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
knoxtown said:

Seems there ought to be a DIY way of adding an o-ring at the camera mount.

If the Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L is weather sealed, I see no evidence of it. I suppose it must be, though.

I'm curious if any of you have done astrophotography with this Sigma lens. If so, is there much coma toward the borders, and if so, how far does it need to be closed down before that goes away? I'm sure somebody has talked about this before, or perhaps over at lensrentals when they imatested it...but I forget.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
CarlTN said:
knoxtown said:

If the Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L is weather sealed, I see no evidence of it. I suppose it must be, though.

I'm curious if any of you have done astrophotography with this Sigma lens. If so, is there much coma toward the borders, and if so, how far does it need to be closed down before that goes away? I'm sure somebody has talked about this before, or perhaps over at lensrentals when they imatested it...but I forget.

The Canon EF 35 f/1.4 isn't officially "weather sealed." That is a feature many are looking for in Mark II is released. Regarding the Sigma, lenstip looked at coma:
http://www.lenstip.com/359.7-Lens_review-Sigma_A_35_mm_f_1.4_DG_HSM_Coma__astigmatism_and_bokeh.html

But I'd be interested if any one has used the Sigma for astrophotography. I am on the fence about the Sigma. Other than the Rokinon 14 mm f/2.8 UMC, it would be my first non-Canon lens. Hearing about two different AF issues isn't helping move me off the fence.

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
docsmith said:
CarlTN said:
knoxtown said:

The Canon EF 35 f/1.4 isn't officially "weather sealed." That is a feature many are looking for in Mark II is released. Regarding the Sigma, lenstip looked at coma:
http://www.lenstip.com/359.7-Lens_review-Sigma_A_35_mm_f_1.4_DG_HSM_Coma__astigmatism_and_bokeh.html

But I'd be interested if any one has used the Sigma for astrophotography. I am on the fence about the Sigma. Other than the Rokinon 14 mm f/2.8 UMC, it would be my first non-Canon lens. Hearing about two different AF issues isn't helping move me off the fence.

Thanks very much for that link! Looks like an incredible lens for astrophotography to me. Even the best Zeiss are no better than that.

You should just buy the Sigma and attempt to make it have AF issues. If it doesn't during the return period, then decide if you want to risk keeping it.

I personally would rather have a 28mm f/1.4, than either a 24 or a 35. Apparently 28mm is the redheaded stepchild of modern lenses. Nobody likes making one anymore. Nikon had a great one in the past, from what I have read.

Upvote 0
Eldar said:
Chuck Alaimo said:
ok, decided to buy it...lol
Seems to me it suits your style and that you have a good copy :) Enjoy!

oh it very much does suit my style!!!!1 :D And yup, I is enjoying!!!!

Attachments

• jessica&Steve-255.jpg
    jessica&Steve-255.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 319
  • jessica&Steve-787.jpg
    jessica&Steve-787.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 1,151
  • jessica&Steve-800.jpg
    jessica&Steve-800.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 283
Upvote 0