Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art

Dec 13, 2010
From a visit to the aquarium, well duh...

Through 40cm thick glass at 1.4, not too shabby IQ. :p

fish.jpg

Upvote 0
Viggo said:
Thanks! I love this lens more and more each day. I'm buying a second copy 35 Art over the weekend, hopefully the AF doesn't suck like the first 35 and the first 50 ;D At least now I have the docking and I know that they can work and be epic.

I don't think you will regret the 35 it's AF in servo is amazing and my copy just never misses focus i cant wait to see what they do with the 85! it needs some wide open improvements and AF could be made better over the current version

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
wickidwombat said:
Viggo said:
Thanks! I love this lens more and more each day. I'm buying a second copy 35 Art over the weekend, hopefully the AF doesn't suck like the first 35 and the first 50 ;D At least now I have the docking and I know that they can work and be epic.

I don't think you will regret the 35 it's AF in servo is amazing and my copy just never misses focus i cant wait to see what they do with the 85! it needs some wide open improvements and AF could be made better over the current version

I sold the 35 in one day, it was just more of the same rubbish, I will never buy it again, ever. The 50 however is basically all I use now, I think it's one of the greatest ever.

Upvote 0
Viggo said:
Sorry to hear that Eldar, I wish you could borrow my 50 and see for yourself, but fully understand you have up, I mean the 35 is not even considered anywhere in the future for me.

Viggo: do you have any problems with Sigma 50 and 1dx? I've read about focus inconsistency when using 50 Art and 1dx and 5dIII.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
localhost said:
Viggo said:
Sorry to hear that Eldar, I wish you could borrow my 50 and see for yourself, but fully understand you have up, I mean the 35 is not even considered anywhere in the future for me.

Viggo: do you have any problems with Sigma 50 and 1dx? I've read about focus inconsistency when using 50 Art and 1dx and 5dIII.

I had with my first copy, same issue as both the 35 Art I had. But my current copy of the 50 is very very good. It's not perfect and the outer points could be better. But it is a 1.4 lens and all of them struggle more than smaller aperture lenses. And I am comparing to the 200 F2 and 2470 mk2 which are both top of the top in regards to AF.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
dlee13 said:
Viggo said:
, I mean the 35 is not even considered anywhere in the future for me.

That's why I went for the Canon 35mm f2 IS, the AF is always spot on, IQ is great and I never have to worry about missing focus.

It's just too big a difference in dof for me to use an f2 instead of 1.4. I would buy another 35 L, but I love the 50 so I can wait for a 35 L II.

The f2 aperture was the reason I sold my Zeiss 50mp, it's just not the same pop.

Upvote 0

dlee13

Canon EOS R6
May 13, 2014
Australia
Viggo said:
dlee13 said:
Viggo said:
, I mean the 35 is not even considered anywhere in the future for me.

That's why I went for the Canon 35mm f2 IS, the AF is always spot on, IQ is great and I never have to worry about missing focus.

It's just too big a difference in dof for me to use an f2 instead of 1.4. I would buy another 35 L, but I love the 50 so I can wait for a 35 L II.

The f2 aperture was the reason I sold my Zeiss 50mp, it's just not the same pop.

For me I much preferred the weight of the 35 IS and I used a few friends Sigma 35 but found it too heavy and the AF issues of course. I had my old Sigma 50 1.4 if I needed a shallow DOF but for my shooting style I find f2 to be more than enough!

Upvote 0
dlee13 said:
Jim Saunders said:
For having spent some more time with it, I now regard mine as worth the investment.

Jim

Hey Jim!

Were you focusing on the cats eyes here?
Not by design, cat under one arm, trigger in the other.

dlee13 said:
I'm not sure if it's me but the image looks almost like it's very soft or not in focus.

You tell me. Dialing the shutter speed up might have helped, but given the choice between 1/250 and a happy cat versus HSS and claws, I'll take the happy cat.

Jim

Attachments

• close-up.jpg
    close-up.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 360
Upvote 0

dlee13

Canon EOS R6
May 13, 2014
Australia
Jim Saunders said:
dlee13 said:
Jim Saunders said:
For having spent some more time with it, I now regard mine as worth the investment.

Jim

Hey Jim!

Were you focusing on the cats eyes here?
Not by design, cat under one arm, trigger in the other.

dlee13 said:
I'm not sure if it's me but the image looks almost like it's very soft or not in focus.

You tell me. Dialing the shutter speed up might have helped, but given the choice between 1/250 and a happy cat versus HSS and claws, I'll take the happy cat.

Jim

Was your cat moving while taking the image? Have you had any issues with the AF?

Upvote 0