Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art

Dec 13, 2010
YuengLinger said:
Viggo said:
Nice to see new posts in this thread. I just a few days ago got my 3rd copy of the 50 Art, and so far it's actually working !

Please don't tempt me like this. I'm holding out for the rumored ef 50mm 1.2 L II.

Good luck!

Lol! Yeah, I had to sell my 200 f2 and the same day it was a special offer on the 50 Art, nearly 50% off, so I had to get one. And my god what an epic lens it is. My favorite focal length and the IQ is basically only rivaled by the 200 I sold, and now that it works it works on every distance also without using the docking. Roughly adjusted at +7 and it just hits everything.

Upvote 0
Viggo said:
YuengLinger said:
Viggo said:
Nice to see new posts in this thread. I just a few days ago got my 3rd copy of the 50 Art, and so far it's actually working !

Please don't tempt me like this. I'm holding out for the rumored ef 50mm 1.2 L II.

Good luck!
I´m glad you´re happy Viggo. But so was I for the first couple of weeks, before the AF went bananas. I´ll be interested in learning if it is stable this time. If so, I might reassess this lens. Optically it is quite extraordinary (for the price) and if the AF works on top, it is a bargain.

Lol! Yeah, I had to sell my 200 f2 and the same day it was a special offer on the 50 Art, nearly 50% off, so I had to get one. And my god what an epic lens it is. My favorite focal length and the IQ is basically only rivaled by the 200 I sold, and now that it works it works on every distance also without using the docking. Roughly adjusted at +7 and it just hits everything.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
It might go bananas later, but this one is completely different to the other 4 I've had. All the others had to be adjusted different at different distances, but this I have only set an afma value ONCE and it works for all distances. Corner points and center hit equally great and even when the kids run and it misses, it's still only with the smallest amount, and the 200 f2 also had those, expected, misses.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
One from a seldom warm day today, still a bit chilly winds, but at least not winter temp.
Shot at 1.4 1/4000s and a Godox 360 to the left at 1/4 power in a Profoto 3´Octa.
m301.jpg

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Ripley said:
Welcome back gentlemen... we've been expecting you.

Lol, always said if they sort out AF it would be my favorite lens. I still have those unexpected focus misses that is strange in the way that it's not just a focusing miss, but a certain subject that it refuses to focus on, and it's nice and contrasty. Backlit situations is impossible, and at infinity it's more or less a gamble. To use this lens on single shot is well... But it keeps bringing out those images I really like, so I'll keep it and hope it doesn't start to act up like the others.

At 1.4 , sun right and pol filter .
a300.jpg

Upvote 0
Long time lurker.. First time poster.

Not really a reason to buy a F1.4 lens but even at higher F-stops the images are quite surreal. Bought one for my trip to France after much doubts & contemplation but am glad I did. Its got its moments of iffy behaviour and focusing isn't always bang on in tricky situations but when all its stars align, its pretty magic! Maybe I'll exchange mine for another copy to see if things improve but there's no way I'm giving this lens up. :)

Attachments

• Domme.jpg
    Domme.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 352
  • Notre Dame Paris Warm.jpg
    Notre Dame Paris Warm.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 383
  • The Winged Victory.jpg
    The Winged Victory.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 393
  • WWII War Cemetery.jpg
    WWII War Cemetery.jpg