Sigma 70mm f/2.8 DG Macro Art Preorders Start On May 11

Canon Rumors Guy

EOS 1D MK II
Jul 20, 2010
7,492
264
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
The Sigma 70mm f/2.8 DG Macro Art series lens which was<a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/sigma-announces-the-70mm-f-2-8-dg-macro-art-series-lens-development/"> announced ahead of CP+ in February</a> of this year will finally be available for preorder on Friday, May 11, 2018. Pricing for the new lens will likely have to wait until the preorders open up.</p>
<p class="fs16 OpenSans-600-normal product-highlights-header"><strong>Product Highlights</strong></p>
<ul class="top-section-list" data-selenium="highlightList">
<li class="top-section-list-item">EF-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Aperture Range: f/2.8 to f/22</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Two FLD Elements, Two SLD Elements</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Low Dispersion and Aspherical Elements</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Super Multi-Layer Coating</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">1:1 Magnification, 10.2″ Min. Focus</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Coreless DC AF Motor, Manual Override</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Weather-Sealed, Brass Bayonet Mount</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Rounded 9-Blade Diaphragm</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Compatible with Sigma USB Dock</li>
</ul>
<p><strong><a href="https://bhpho.to/2wnpalv">Preorder the Sigma 70mm f/2.8 DG Macro Art Starting May 11, 2018</a></strong>.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
 

Chaitanya

EOS 6D MK II
Jun 27, 2013
1,011
118
33
Pune
Eagre to find out what real pricing is going to be, as that leaked price by European store looks quite exhorbitant.
 

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
7,942
490
No IS? Externally focusing? Seems like a more dedicated tripod/rail setup sort of macro instrument.

I'm on the casual side of macro, which means a compact footprint and IS, and both my 100L (1x macro) and 24-70 f/4L (0.7x macro @ 70mm) tick those boxes. This doesn't.

I would love to see a wide FL macro for EF -- a new compact macro, if you will. The use of 50 compact macro for reproduction work is (I assume) dying out, but casual food/travel macro photography is absolutely blowing up right now. A shorter FL macro = shorter working distance, which for casual food work is a plus: you don't have to get up from your seat in the restaurant. :D

So, yeah. I might actually buy a FF equivalent of the recent two crop illuminated macros.

- A
 
Mar 31, 2014
952
56
68
Center of my universe
ahsanford said:
No IS? Externally focusing? Seems like a more dedicated tripod/rail setup sort of macro instrument.

I'm on the casual side of macro, which means a compact footprint and IS, and both my 100L (1x macro) and 24-70 f/4L (0.7x macro @ 70mm) tick those boxes. This doesn't.

- A
Externally focusing means little or no focus breathing, which the 100L has in spades. My Milvus 100 externally focuses and I do not find that problematic. I do not use IS for macro because it just wasn't effective for macro. Could be it was the coffee...

Since I got my Sigma 180, the 100L has always seemed - well, lesser resolution.

My concern is the focus by wire. If Sigma botched that, back it goes!

I would have preferred a 50mm macro, but that may take even longer than the 50mm you desire, approximately an eternity.
 

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
7,942
490
chrysoberyl said:
ahsanford said:
No IS? Externally focusing? Seems like a more dedicated tripod/rail setup sort of macro instrument.

I'm on the casual side of macro, which means a compact footprint and IS, and both my 100L (1x macro) and 24-70 f/4L (0.7x macro @ 70mm) tick those boxes. This doesn't.

- A
Externally focusing means little or no focus breathing, which the 100L has in spades.
100% Agree.

Yep, when I see externally focusing, it's a big neon sign for me to stay away: 'This is for the folks that make a day of it.'

I don't focus stack. I don't illuminate. I snap lizards and flowers when I'm on a hike -- stop and pop and move on. See attached for the most casual of macro work I reel in. I might wait a moment for wind to die down or chip and reshoot if I didn't stop down enough for enough macro DOF. But none of these shots took more than 10-15 seconds from "maybe I'll shoot that" to done and moving on.

- A

P.S. This was a smash and grab auto rescale in Mac OS Preview. It somewhat murders detail -- the real shots are delightfully sharper than this.
 

Attachments

Arty

EOS T7i
Jun 5, 2014
59
0
I am really interested n this lens, but want to see more user and other reviews. How is the AF?
I have the Sigma 50 macro, but may want this one as well if it is impressively sharp.
 
Mar 31, 2014
952
56
68
Center of my universe
Initial impressions:

1. This lens balances nicely on my 80D.
2. This is my first 'focus-by-wire' lens, so I didn't know exactly what to expect. For macro distances, the AF seems dead on and it focuses fairly quickly. It may be useful for insects and trusting lizards.
3. For MF, the throw appears to be way over 360 degrees, and it doesn't seem to have noticeable slop. I like it.
4. It is sharp.
 

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
7,942
490
chrysoberyl said:
Initial impressions:

1. This lens balances nicely on my 80D.
2. This is my first 'focus-by-wire' lens, so I didn't know exactly what to expect. For macro distances, the AF seems dead on and it focuses fairly quickly. It may be useful for insects and trusting lizards.
3. For MF, the throw appears to be way over 360 degrees, and it doesn't seem to have noticeable slop. I like it.
4. It is sharp.
How do you feel about using it handheld? If not favorably (for non-focus-stacking reasons), is it more about the lack of IS or more about the externally focusing weight/feel in your hands?

- A
 
Mar 31, 2014
952
56
68
Center of my universe
ahsanford said:
How do you feel about using it handheld? If not favorably (for non-focus-stacking reasons), is it more about the lack of IS or more about the externally focusing weight/feel in your hands?

- A
I will likely use it quite a lot handheld, but I will brace myself on a knee or whatever. I have used my Milvus 100 handheld, too, but this lens will be easier since it has a seemingly accurate AF.
 

BeenThere

EOS 6D MK II
Sep 4, 2012
824
151
With tripod macro work the slow focus may not be a big issue and could be more accurate with less possibility of overshoot using a high speed AF motor.
 
Mar 31, 2014
952
56
68
Center of my universe
BeenThere said:
With tripod macro work the slow focus may not be a big issue and could be more accurate with less possibility of overshoot using a high speed AF motor.
Usually, my macro work is on tripod, but this one was hand-held. This little lens shows promise. My technique is what needs improvement.
 

BeenThere

EOS 6D MK II
Sep 4, 2012
824
151
chrysoberyl said:
BeenThere said:
With tripod macro work the slow focus may not be a big issue and could be more accurate with less possibility of overshoot using a high speed AF motor.
Usually, my macro work is on tripod, but this one was hand-held. This little lens shows promise. My technique is what needs improvement.
Nice shot! You have steady hands to capture this image.