Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG Art Series Lens Samples

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>DPReview has posted a gallery of 84 sample images from the highly anticipated Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG Art series lens.</p>
<p>From DPReview</p>
<blockquote><p>The Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art is finally here, with units of the $1199 lens shipping now. The big question, almost as big as the lens itself: is it worth the wait? And, is it worth the weight? To find out, we wasted no time taking it out to shoot some portraits. Lots and lots of portraits.</p></blockquote>
<p>You can view the entire gallery <a href="https://www.dpreview.com/news/5149714467/it-s-finally-here-sigma-85mm-f1-4-dg-hsm-art-sample-gallery">here</a>.</p>
<p>Sigma 85mm f/1.4 Art $1199: <a href="https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1282165-REG/sigma_321955_85mm_f_1_4_dg_hsm.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296">B&H Photo</a> | <a href="http://amzn.to/2cV8eda">Amazon</a> | <a href="http://www.adorama.com/SG8514ACA.html?KBID=64393">Adorama</a> | <a href="https://mpex.com/sigma-85mm-f1-4-dg-hsm-art-lens-canon.html?acc=3">Midwest Photo</a></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Looks very promising. Seems to handle difficult light very well. Key issue will be to learn about AF accuracy.

Have been waiting for this lens to come out for some time now. Sharpness across frame and focus speed (if acuate) could be strong winning arguments over the 85L. Have been very happy with the Sigma 50mm ART but would prefer 85mm to go with a Canon 35mm IS L II (ooopppsss - just dreaming) 35mm L II.

Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2015
I was wondering just how many copies of the lens and cameras they used? Seeing that some shots taken by photog "A" at F1.4 are crazy sharp and some others taken by photog "B" at F2.8 are slightly out of focus. Could AFMA be slightly out or the technique to blame?

BeenThere said:
Seeing some cateye brokeh at 1.4
Center looks sharp. Otherwise hard to say much from the portraits.

Upvote 0
I got to hold this beast 2 weeks ago at a local photo Expo and talk to the SIGMA rep about it. When I say beast, I'm not kidding. This thing is huge, bigger than the 50mm by far and the front element is a sight to behold. It feels really well built, just like the other ART lenses and everything else they're putting out. Can't wait to see how it does for the price.

Added note: I told the rep, "Man, these new lenses are amazing, but could you PLEASE weather seal them? And before you say why would you do that, it's the pacific northwest... not everyone shoots in the summer time only." He laughed and then in a real somber face he says "We can't weather seal them. Cannon owns the patent on that weather sealing primes." I looked at him :eek: and he said "yeah. And we're a family owned company and can't compete." That's messed up.

Upvote 0

BeenThere

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore
sleepnever said:
I got to hold this beast 2 weeks ago at a local photo Expo and talk to the SIGMA rep about it. When I say beast, I'm not kidding. This thing is huge, bigger than the 50mm by far and the front element is a sight to behold. It feels really well built, just like the other ART lenses and everything else they're putting out. Can't wait to see how it does for the price.

Added note: I told the rep, "Man, these new lenses are amazing, but could you PLEASE weather seal them? And before you say why would you do that, it's the pacific northwest... not everyone shoots in the summer time only." He laughed and then in a real somber face he says "We can't weather seal them. Cannon owns the patent on that weather sealing primes." I looked at him :eek: and he said "yeah. And we're a family owned company and can't compete." That's messed up.

Canon's method of weather sealing may be patented, but is there only one possible way? Using an O-ring at the body mount would not seem to be a patentable idea as O-rings have been use for sealing many types of products for decades.

Upvote 0
The Flasher said:
I'm going to catch flak for this but my sigma art 50 is pretty much useless at 1.4-2.0 af wise. Inconsistent and inaccurate,on multiple bodies including the 1dx2. This is my 3rd unit. This has left me pretty jaded re sigma brand, will stick with canon, it just works..

The irony is that it's such a sharp lens..

Have you done AF micro adjustment with that lens on each of your camera bodies?

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
I got mine today. Very sharp across the frame, haven't compared to the Otus yet, but for 1/3 of the price it's definitely a good deal. The AF was off: -6 AFMA (5dsr), but consistent. No questions on nailing focus every time. The AF speed is good (not as instant as let's say the 70-200 2.8L II, but much faster the 85 f/1.2L II), quiet, no clicks like the new Tamrons 45 or 85. It also has a rubber gasket on the mount, so it's somewhat weather resistant I guess. Overall feels pretty solid.

Upvote 0
Refurb7 said:
The Flasher said:
I'm going to catch flak for this but my sigma art 50 is pretty much useless at 1.4-2.0 af wise. Inconsistent and inaccurate,on multiple bodies including the 1dx2. This is my 3rd unit. This has left me pretty jaded re sigma brand, will stick with canon, it just works..

Have you done AF micro adjustment with that lens on each of your camera bodies?

yeah I've done testes etc. Waste of time, lens focuses tack sharp when it does, but out of 5 identical shots on identical detail, 2 will come back soft. Off centre points I have to add.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
The Flasher said:

I'll want very solid evidence of AF consistency before going anywhere near another Sigma lens. You're right, you get incredibly sharp results when AF is accurate, but my Sigmas have been so hit & miss I never trusted them enough to use on a commercial project. I'm 100% EF-L now. Like you say, it just works.

-pw

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
sleepnever said:

I very much doubt there is just one patent for weather sealing primes and that this keeps Sigma from doing so. Who owns the patent weather sealing zooms?

The other thing is that patents have a term. They expire.

I don't think a sales rep. is the guy to rely on for that kind of info. Nor is he the guy to ask to weather seal the product line.

I think he was pulling out an answer for you from some dark region of his body. It would be like a car salesman telling you the same sort of thing about a car. They (Sales reps) have no idea or influence with the company.

Both Nikon and Tamron have weather sealed primes and zooms. Sigma either doesn't see the need or has no idea how to accomplish it, kinda like Sigma's auto focus (From what I've read about Sigma's autofocus).

Wait... who owns THE patent on auto focus? Or, for that matter, cameras and lenses? Camera straps? Tripods? You get the picture.

Upvote 0
Jopa said:
I got mine today. Very sharp across the frame, haven't compared to the Otus yet, but for 1/3 of the price it's definitely a good deal. The AF was off: -6 AFMA (5dsr), but consistent. No questions on nailing focus every time. The AF speed is good (not as instant as let's say the 70-200 2.8L II, but much faster the 85 f/1.2L II), quiet, no clicks like the new Tamrons 45 or 85. It also has a rubber gasket on the mount, so it's somewhat weather resistant I guess. Overall feels pretty solid.

Sounds great.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
CanonFanBoy said:
sleepnever said:

I very much doubt there is just one patent for weather sealing primes and that this keeps Sigma from doing so. Who owns the patent weather sealing zooms?

The other thing is that patents have a term. They expire.

I don't think a sales rep. is the guy to rely on for that kind of info. Nor is he the guy to ask to weather seal the product line.

I think he was pulling out an answer for you from some dark region of his body. It would be like a car salesman telling you the same sort of thing about a car. They (Sales reps) have no idea or influence with the company.

Both Nikon and Tamron have weather sealed primes and zooms. Sigma either doesn't see the need or has no idea how to accomplish it, kinda like Sigma's auto focus (From what I've read about Sigma's autofocus).

Wait... who owns THE patent on auto focus? Or, for that matter, cameras and lenses? Camera straps? Tripods? You get the picture.

Ha ha!

Upvote 0
Jopa, can you tell us what is the low light AF consistency like with the lens? Take some shots in a dimly lit room and see how it goes? ideally, you would set a target and camera on tripod and keep the target dimly lit whilst using your camera centre AF point to focuss on the target... taking 5-10 shots, how many were tack sharp and how many out of focus? I know, this all sounds like a dounting task. See how you go . Thank you!

Jopa said:

Upvote 0
http://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/product/art/a_85_14/specifications/

Weight 1,130g / 39.9oz.

http://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/product/art/a_85_14/features/

Mount with dust- and splash-proof construction

The lens mount incorporates rubber sealing to protect the mount from dust and water drops. The front and rear lenses feature a water- and oil-repellent coating that is particularly useful when shooting in a drizzle, near ocean spray, and in a wide variety of other conditions... etc..

riker said:
WTF?! No one cares that the weight is unknown??
Also "nice" from dpreview to mention the weight as an important factor (well noted) while it is not shown on their site since even Sigma has not published it yet.

Upvote 0