Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM

I do not see this lens listed in the lens gallery section, so I am starting a thread for it. Here is a shot from last night at the Phoenix Zoo during a summer night opening. I use this lens sparingly, but in very low light situations it comes in handy. It was darker than even the photo makes it look and autofocus did not work, so I had a difficult time manually focusing. I use a 5D2 - maybe a 6D would have been able to autofocus in the dark?

Anyway, here is the camera JPEG with no adjustments other than downsizing. Shot at f/2, 1/8 second, iso 4000.

Attachments

• IMG_9232.JPG
    IMG_9232.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,913
Re: Sigma 85 f 1.4

Cool shot! I am very curious about this lens, so I am eager to see what people think about it and the images they have made. I have the Sigma 35mm and 50mm, like them both. I have the Canon 85mm 1.8 also, and I like it a lot, yet there is a big gap between 1.4 and 1.8 in low light performance. Not chomping at the bit, but curious.

Upvote 0
Re: Sigma 85 f 1.4

Not sure the difference between 1.4 and 1.8 is enough to make the switch. Honestly, the DOF at 1.4 is so shallow that I often do not shoot it wide open. The lens does have a nice feel - solid, but not too big - balances perfectly on a larger body like my 5D2.

When I first got it, however, it would not focus well at very close objects - the focus would just hunt back and forth. I sent it in for free warranty repair and now it works fine at all subject distances.

Upvote 0
Extremely dark situation, at a captive wildlife facility at dusk. Too dark for autofocus, had to switch to manual focus and do a series of shots with quick review and minor adjustment to get focus on eyes. F2 because DOF was so shallow that 1.4 or 1.8 were too thin to get all of head in focus. Even at this large aperture and ISO cranked up to 4000 and exposure compensation set to minus one (image lightened afterwards in PSE), shutter speed was only 1/3 second. Only worked because fishing cat was completely still and camera (5D2) was on a tripod.

Attachments

• fishing cat 1817RAW.jpg
    fishing cat 1817RAW.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 569
Upvote 0
dlee13 said:
I'm very tempted to get this lens, I'm also very paranoid an Art version will be released a month or so after I get it...

If I am not mistaken, an Art version has now been released. I have no need (or finances) to upgrade. However, if you can afford it I am sure the Art version is superb. The older version that I use is still nice and sharp. Here is a recent handheld shot form an indoor zoo nursery using available fluorescent light.

I own four EOS lenses and the other three are Canon L. This is my only non Canon lens but I do not regret it.

Attachments

• tiger A4688nik.jpg
    tiger A4688nik.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 334
Upvote 0