Sigma Announces Brand New 14-24mm F2.8 Art Lens

Mar 26, 2014
Random Orbits said:
With the 11-24/12-24s , the 14-24 seems superfluous, but it looks to be aimed directly at Nikon.

Nikon already makes a 14-24mm f/2.8, Canon doesn't. It makes more sense to compete in a segment in which there isn't a direct competitor.

Both Canon's 11-24mm and Sigma's 12-24mm are f/4, so the new lens has a one f/stop advantage. This should help AF (most, if not all, current DSLRs models have at least one AF point that works only with f/2.8 & faster max aperture) and usage scenarios like astrophotography.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Antono Refa said:
Random Orbits said:
With the 11-24/12-24s , the 14-24 seems superfluous, but it looks to be aimed directly at Nikon.

Nikon already makes a 14-24mm f/2.8, Canon doesn't. It makes more sense to compete in a segment in which there isn't a direct competitor.

Both Canon's 11-24mm and Sigma's 12-24mm are f/4, so the new lens has a one f/stop advantage. This should help AF (most, if not all, current DSLRs models have at least one AF point that works only with f/2.8 & faster max aperture) and usage scenarios like astrophotography.

Exactly!

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Random Orbits said:
Canon now has better UWA zooms than Nikon. Nikon has a 17-35 f/2.8 and a 16-35 f/4, but not something that fits the same slot as the 16-35 f/2.8 III. With the 16-35 f/2.8 III, how viable is the 14-24? It has a narrower focal length range, is heavier, doesn't take filters and gets you two additional mm. At that point, it might be preferable to couple the 16-35 with a 14mm prime.

If the 14-24mm would have low coma, it would be preferred for astrophotography.

If one would like an ultra-wide lens to go along a 24-70mm f/2.8, buying the one 14-24mm f/2.8 would make more sense than buying the two 14mm + 16-35mm.

So, though I agree with your logic, I think some photographers might have a different view.

Random Orbits said:
the Sigma 14 prime is better for astro even if you have to stop down the aperture slightly. And there is the 15-30 VC too.

Wouldn't that depend on the 14-24mm's image quality?

According to photozone, the 14mm f/1.8 has strong barrel distortion (the 14-24mm is supposed to have <1% vs 3.43% here), isn't sharp wide open @ ~f/2 on high resolution sensors (again, the 14-24mm is supposed to be better here), and apparently doesn't excel in the coma department on FF sensors.

In other words, it seems Sigma thinks those two lenses have distinct & separate target audiences.

Random Orbits said:
So how big is the market for Canon users for a 14-24? A design like this would have been more viable 5 years ago before all the UWA zooms came to market.

That is an excellent question / point. When the Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 came out, I was somewhat envious. Then a photography shop employee I appreciate* for his advice told me a lot of copies of this lens got quickly into the used market (the shop traded in used photography equipment), as people were disappointed with it. Apparently the lens didn't serve their needs as well as the hoped.

* I take his opinion seriously as he cared more about the customers' interests than his employer's. I would often come in looking for an expensive item, and receive his good advise to buy a cheaper item, or none at all. That cost him dearly when the shop closed one year ago. I've met most other employees behind the counters of other photography shops, AFAIK he's still looking for a job.

Upvote 0
think it would compete directly at Nikon's 14-24mm f/2,8 and fill the void of Canon's arsenal.

Would Canon's body able to detect this 2,8 like the Sigma 12-24mm f/4 Art when mounted and provide on-board corrections??

mobile01-d7b873677cea200e83776a743a137543.jpg

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2016
RGF said:
BeenThere said:
4 Year U.S.A. Warranty is pretty cool. The vignetting is not very good wide open, I guess that's the nature of the beast.

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/14-24mm-f2-8-dg-hsm-a

is the vignetting worse than the Nikon 14-24 or Canon 16-35 F2.8 wide open?

Have we seen any more sample photos coming out? I can't find any and I'm interested in this lens.

As for the question - there's no way it will be worse than the 16-35 2.8 L III - that despite being in almost all other regards perfect is, sadly, is one of the worst lenses out there for vignetting, worse even than the notorious-for-vignetting Zeiss 18/3.5 and Zeiss 25/2 ZE lenses.

I had saved up enough money to buy the L III but just can't stomach the price given the more than four stops of vignette so this lens is of interest. The inability to filter it with normal filters is a huge pain but that's the case with the Tamron and the Nikon models.

How it compares to the Nikon 14-24 will be interesting as that lens is outstanding and Sigma has also gone for the bulbous front element that seems to allow for well corrected corners while avoiding vignetting (well I say that but Sony's 16-35/2.8GM matches the L III for sharpness with almost exactly half the vignette so there's obviously other ways around this or maybe that's the shorter flange distance helping). I used to use an adapter Nikon 14-24 on a 5DII but got tired of using an adapted lens and needing an adapter for filters and have been on the 16-35L IS and was hoping to upgrade to the 2.8L III to have a lens that could also do astro work. The vignette really hurts that so I am holding off. The Sigma might be the one to tick all the boxes except for filters. If it doesn't impress I think I'll get the Tamron though I've had bad luck in the past with them, it's getting so cheap online now it seems worth a try.

Upvote 0