Sigma Announces the 105mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Series Lens Development

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<strong><em>The Bokeh Master with Longest Focal Length Among Sigma Wide-Aperture F1.4 Art Lenses</em></strong></p>
<p>Introducing the “bokeh master”—featuring incredible resolution and designed for full-frame sensors, this is the longest focal length of the Art line’s F1.4 lenses</p>
<p>1. Optical system delivering unsurpassed F1.4 performance</p>
<p>2. Exceptional peripheral brightness</p>
<p>3. Professional specifications</p>
<p>4. Ease-of-use specifications</p>
<p>5. Compatible with full-frame Sony E-mount cameras</p>
<p>6. Compatible with Canon Lens Aberration Correction Launch: TBD Accessory: Case, Cover Hood (LH1113-01), tripod socket (TS-111), protective cover (PT-21) Available AF mounts: SIGMA, Nikon, Canon, and Sony E-mount Note: Appearance and specifications are subject to change without notice.</p>
<p><!--more--></p>
<p>Leading the way in F1.4 brightness

Since introducing its first SIGMA Global Vision F1.4 lens in 2012, the 35mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art, SIGMA has been adding wide-aperture F1.4 options to the lineup. Now, with the introduction of the new 105mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art, SIGMA offers a total of nine lenses with F1.4 brightness, including six for full-frame cameras and three for APS-C cameras. SIGMA has designed all of these lenses to offer minimal optical aberration and deliver incredible resolution and stunning contrast. Boasting the longest focal length of the F1.4 Art line lenses, the new lens combines outstanding resolution with a beautiful bokeh effect. Designed with great care to ensure that both the in-focus and out-of-focus areas of the photograph are equally satisfying to the eye, this lens is truly a “bokeh master.” The SIGMA 105mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art has earned its place as the flagship of the F1.4 Art line lenses, prioritizing image quality above all to fulfill the promise of the line, delivering truly amazing optical performance.</p>
<p><strong>Key features</strong></p>
<p>1. Optical system delivering unsurpassed F1.4 performance

In order to combine outstanding wide-aperture, mid-telephoto performance with F1.4 brightness at maximum aperture, this lens incorporates 17 optical elements in 12 groups—an uncommonly large number of elements for a prime lens. By including three FLD glass elements, two SLD glass elements, and one aspherical lens element, the optical system minimizes axial chromatic aberration to deliver extremely high resolution along with ample peripheral light volume. The area in focus is extremely sharp, while the area out of focus features a beautiful bokeh effect with highly natural colors, making this lens a powerful choice for portrait photography. The optical system also minimizes sagittal coma flare, making this lens excellent for capturing starry skies.</p>
<p>2. Exceptional peripheral brightness

The most effective method of ensuring ample light is to maximize the diameter of the first element of the optical system. With its large filter diameter of 105mm, the SIGMA 105mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art delivers a significantly greater volume of peripheral light than other lenses in its class. Minimizing vignetting while offering a beautiful bokeh effect, this lens is ideal for portrait photography.</p>
<p>3. Professional specifications

Like SIGMA’s Sports line lenses, the 105mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art features a highly effective dust- and splash-proof structure with special sealing at the mount connection*, manual focus ring, cover connection, and other areas, allowing photographers to work in all types of weather. In addition, the front of the lens is protected by a water- and oil-repellent coating that makes cleaning easy. The high-speed, high-accuracy autofocus helps photographers react in an instant to get those special shots.

*SIGMA mount lens does not include sealing, since sealing is present on compatible SIGMA cameras.</p>
<p>4. Ease-of-use specifications

Instead of conventional ABS plastic, the exclusive lens hood features CFRP (carbon fiber reinforced plastic), a light but strong material used in the interior and exterior fittings of aircraft, among many other applications. The removable Arca-Swiss tripod socket is compatible with Arca-Swiss platforms and clamps, and its exclusive protective cover makes the lens easier to carry and use when shooting hand-held.</p>
<p>5. Compatible with full-frame Sony E-mount cameras The Sony E-mount version of this lens is compatible with Sony mirrorless cameras and contains the same optical system as the versions for other mounts. SIGMA MOUNT CONVERTER MC-11 is not required, as the lens performs the same functions as the converter, including in-camera image stabilization and in-camera lens aberration correction. In addition, the lens is compatible with Sony’s Continuous AF, which is not available via MOUNT CONVERTER MC-11. SIGMA plans eventually to offer Sony E-mount versions of every full-frame prime lens currently available in the Art line, from 14mm to 135mm.

Note: This product is developed, manufactured and sold based on the specifications of E-mount which was disclosed by Sony Corporation under the license agreement with Sony Corporation.</p>
<p>6. Compatible with Canon Lens Aberration Correction

The Canon mount version of this lens is compatible with the Canon Lens Aberration Correction function.* Matching the optical characteristics of the lens, this function performs in-camera corrections of peripheral illumination, chromatic aberrations, distortion, and more, to further enhance image quality.

*Function not available on all Canon cameras. Available corrections may vary depending on the Canon camera model.</p>
<p>Other features</p>
<ul>
<li>Rounded diaphragm</li>
<li>Fast AF with full-time manual override*

*The operation of full-time MF may vary based on mount type.</li>
<li>Compatible with SIGMA Mount Converter MC-11 Note: SIGMA and Canon mount lens</li>
<li>Available SIGMA USB DOCK makes customization and flexible adjustment possible* *Not available for Sony E-mount lens</li>
<li>Available Mount Conversion Service</li>
<li>Brass bayonet mount</li>
<li>Evaluation with SIGMA’s own MTF measuring system: A1</li>
<li>“Made in Japan” with outstanding craftsmanship</li>
</ul>
<p>For more information about the SIGMA GLOBAL VISION lineup of fine products, please visit the official SIGMA global website: SIGMA GLOBAL VISION: http://www.sigma-global.com</p>
<p>Specifications All figures calculated for SIGMA</p>
<p>Lens Construction: 17 elements in 12 groups | Angle of view (35mm): 23.3° | Number of diaphragm blades: 9 (rounded diaphragm) | Minimum aperture: F16 | Minimum focusing distance: 100cm/39.4in. | Maximum magnification ratio: 1:8.3 | Filter size: ø105mm | Dimensions (diameter x length): ø115.9mm x 131.5mm/4.6in. x 5.2in. | Weight: 1645g/58.0oz.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

I REALLY hope that tripod collar can come off. I'm extremely excited about this lens! 85mm 1.2 is my main wedding lens but when I use to shoot Nikon the 105mm 2.5 was my fave focal length as it was my max I could use for fast shooting. I had the 135mm f2L for years but finally sold it being too long for me.
You would think the diff between 105mm vs 135mm wouldn't be much but in fast shooting it makes a big diff in real life.
My perfect setup would be:
28mm 1.4 (currently use 35mm 1.4Lii)
50mm 1.4 IS (currently Sig 50mm 1.4)
105mm 1.4 (85mm 1.2Lii)

For my style those would be my fave lenses! Keep it up Sigma!! :D

Upvote 0
Mac Duderson said:
I REALLY hope that tripod collar can come off. I'm extremely excited about this lens! 85mm 1.2 is my main wedding lens but when I use to shoot Nikon the 105mm 2.5 was my fave focal length as it was my max I could use for fast shooting. I had the 135mm f2L for years but finally sold it being too long for me.
You would think the diff between 105mm vs 135mm wouldn't be much but in fast shooting it makes a big diff in real life.
105mm 1.4 (85mm 1.2Lii)

For my style those would be my fave lenses! Keep it up Sigma!! :D

A have a similar interest in lenses as you. I love the 100mm focal length too. And yes, the tripod collar is removable. I've seen images with out it already.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Sigma has been delivering the goods. I currently own the 50A and 150-600S. But 17 elements in 12 groups!

Here are the specs:

Maximum magnification ratio: 1:8.3 | Filter size:
ø105mm | Dimensions (diameter x length): ø115.9mm
x 131.5mm/4.6in. x 5.2in. | Weight: 1645g/58.0oz

That thing isn't just huge, it is yuge.....

Compared to the Nikon 105 f/1.4:

Filter Size
82 mm

Approx. Dimensions (Diameter x Length)
3.7 in. (94.5 mm) x 4.2 in. (106 mm)

Approx. Weight
34.8 oz. (985 g)

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2016
docsmith said:
Sigma has been delivering the goods. I currently own the 50A and 150-600S. But 17 elements in 12 groups!

Here are the specs:

Maximum magnification ratio: 1:8.3 | Filter size:
ø105mm | Dimensions (diameter x length): ø115.9mm
x 131.5mm/4.6in. x 5.2in. | Weight: 1645g/58.0oz

That thing isn't just huge, it is yuge.....

Compared to the Nikon 105 f/1.4:

Filter Size
82 mm

Approx. Dimensions (Diameter x Length)
3.7 in. (94.5 mm) x 4.2 in. (106 mm)

Approx. Weight
34.8 oz. (985 g)

I think it really shows are we are well into the "law of diminishing returns" with full frame lenses.

The Nikon 105/1.4 is regarded as a really great lens and one assumes Sigma have been determined to beat it for resolution and corner sharpness - and it looks like the only way they could do that was to make it huge. We have seen them take a similar approach with the 85/1.4 and 135/1.8 and there obviously is a market for it.

It does seem the only way to get Zeiss/Sigma image quality on a full frame lens is to make it enormous. A 5% improvement in corner sharpness means a 25% gain in size and weight.

I think it's a good time to be a photographer with all these choices though for me the sharpness war is over, I simply no longer care. The Canon 135L for example is not as sharp as either the Zeiss 135 or the Sigma 135 Art when shooting test charts - but I don't care; wide open it is more than sharp enough on a 5DSR and has a beautiful rendering. Again I think we will see that if Canon does bring out a MkII and even if they keep it at f/2 they will likely gain weight and size if they try to improve the resolution.

I know the price would be higher but I do wish Canon had been the one to create some of the Art lenses - image a 14/1.8L, 14-24/2.8L, 20/1.4L, 24-35/2L, 105/1.4L and 135/1.8L. Not sure which I would have bought but would love to have that option with L build quality and auto-focus performance.

Upvote 0
mjg79 said:
I think it really shows are we are well into the "law of diminishing returns" with full frame lenses.

The Nikon 105/1.4 is regarded as a really great lens and one assumes Sigma have been determined to beat it for resolution and corner sharpness - and it looks like the only way they could do that was to make it huge. We have seen them take a similar approach with the 85/1.4 and 135/1.8 and there obviously is a market for it.

It does seem the only way to get Zeiss/Sigma image quality on a full frame lens is to make it enormous. A 5% improvement in corner sharpness means a 25% gain in size and weight.

I think it's a good time to be a photographer with all these choices though for me the sharpness war is over, I simply no longer care. The Canon 135L for example is not as sharp as either the Zeiss 135 or the Sigma 135 Art when shooting test charts - but I don't care; wide open it is more than sharp enough on a 5DSR and has a beautiful rendering. Again I think we will see that if Canon does bring out a MkII and even if they keep it at f/2 they will likely gain weight and size if they try to improve the resolution.

I know the price would be higher but I do wish Canon had been the one to create some of the Art lenses - image a 14/1.8L, 14-24/2.8L, 20/1.4L, 24-35/2L, 105/1.4L and 135/1.8L. Not sure which I would have bought but would love to have that option with L build quality and auto-focus performance.

Agree that the Sigma lenses are getting too large. It used to be that primes had advantages in size, weight, price, max aperture and IQ. Sigma is now pushing IQ and max aperture at the expense of the other factors. Who is going to carry a bagful of 14A, 20A, 24A, 35A, 50A, 85A, 105A and 135A? Even if you skip nearly every other focal length (14A, 24A, 50A, 105A and 135A), that is still very bulky and heavy kit. I used to have the 14L f/2.8L II. It was solid, but it was small AND compact. I could stuff it in a camera bag easily. 14A? No way.

Upvote 0
It's at least partially weather-sealed, which is one of the my two requests for Sigma. If you're going to position yourselves as a premium, pro-quality line, there's no excuse for not sealing up your lenses. It's pretty gross that so many of their lenses haven't had sealing before now, especially when Tamron does it and puts stabilisation in everything and undercuts in price.

Still, this one is going to come down to focus. Sigma's AF is still terrible—yes, including the 85mm and 135mm—and their focus rings are poor for manual focus, too. I want a pro-quality 100/105mm lens for my Canon system but I need at least one way to focus it reliably, consistently. If they can nail either the AF or focus ring on this, and then follow-up with a 28mm or a 35mm mkII with the same usable focus, I will gladly switch to Sigma lenses. (The 24-35 actually already somewhat fills this requirement, as that lens does focus 'okay'.) If this still has the same sketchy focus as the 85 and 135—let alone earlier Sigmas—then nope, I'll keep waiting for Canon or Tamron.

Mac Duderson said:
105mm 1.4 (85mm 1.2Lii)
This is me to a T. 28, 50, 100 (or their equivalents, depending on format) have been my go-to lengths for about 15 years now (before that, zooms) and that's a set Canon hasn't really catered to since the 90s. Nikon has a lovely 28mm and 105mm at f/1.4, but Canon only gives you f/2.8 for 28mm and the 100mm f/2, while actually an astonishingly good lens for the money, isn't really up to par with modern professional standards on bodies like a 5DS R. As a result, I to am using 35mm and 85mm lenses and boy are they no fun.

Upvote 0
Amazing lens specs! :p

If it can follow up on the 85mm and 135mm ART lenses it could be a marvel to shoot.

F1.4 would make it a very interesting lens for indoor sports when even the 135L struggles @f/2 and the others do not have enough reach. Combine the 105mm with a 5DS/R and you're in business... Wonder what the asking price will be.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
Maiaibing said:

If it can follow up on the 85mm and 135mm ART lenses it could be a marvel to shoot.

F1.4 would make it a very interesting lens for indoor sports when even the 135L struggles @f/2 and the others do not have enough reach. Combine the 105mm with a 5DS/R and you're in business... Wonder what the asking price will be.

My best guess at price: $1,499 - $1,599USD at launch. Maybe even $1,699...?

Upvote 0
FramerMCB said:
Maiaibing said:

My best guess at price: $1,499 - $1,599USD at launch. Maybe even $1,699...?
+$200.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Meanwhile, Sigma has retrofitted all (or nearly all?) their full-frame Art primes for FE and apparently they may be improving the 35/50 Art AF setup in the process:

https://petapixel.com/2018/02/27/sigma-unveils-first-9-art-lenses-sony-e-mount/

Sigma says the new Sony E-mount lenses will feature the exact same optical designs that have attracted rave reviews, but the lenses will also feature a “newly developed control algorithm that optimizes the autofocus drive and maximizes the data transmission speed.”

Can you imagine a 35 Art or 50 Art with the AF performance of their 85/135 Art lenses? That would not suck.

- A

Upvote 0
I would like to hold it in my hands and to do a lot of experiments with it. But do _I_ have any advantages of that lens compared to the EF 100 2.0 except in some very rare cases? I would prefer an EF 100 2.0 IS USM with some tweaks compared to the original version and some minor size (more important) and weight increases.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I see this lens as the reasonable tradeoff from going after (say) a 135 f/1.4, which is roughly '200 f/2 big' and impractical to carry.

Lest we forget, Nikon now offers a 105mm f/1.4 and it is apparently a gem. See PZ data below: it promptly ate the test camera as an amuse-bouche and asked for more pixels to be judged against.

- A

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 11.05.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 11.05.31 AM.png
    144.6 KB · Views: 174
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Wow.... that's a big damn lens.

After my previous experiences with Sigma on Canon, I'm still inclined to stay with Canon for glass. We should be seeing the new 135L this year and the original has been my go-to portrait lens for years now. I'd see no reason to upgrade it either except that I expect the new version to perform even stronger and have IS on top of it.

Upvote 0