SIGMA to address their RF mount plans in early 2020 [CR2]

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
Well, looking at the Sigma web site, they do have a new 24-70 f/2.8 DG DN A for the E-mount. Designed specifically for mirrorless. So it stands to reason that it'll some day come in an RF-compatible version.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
With Canon's UWA RF zoom going down to 15mm, I wonder how much demand there will be for a 14-24. Smaller zoom ratio, no IS and not filterable with a screw on filter...
About 50 % less expensive, and really really good.
PS: I'm certainly no Sigma fanboy, I presently own exclusively Canon and Leica lenses, but the mirrorless 14-24 Sigma seems to be great value for few bucks.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
We’re all assuming, I assume, that these will be new designs, rather than remounted current designs?
I'm not assuming that. These are third party manufacturers. They need design flexibility so that they can interchange mounts among Canon, Nikon and Sony. I imagine they will look at each lens and determine if it requires a new design for mirrorless. I would say it is likely that some of the lenses will be specifically designed for mirrorless bodies, but probably not specific to Canon. They may feel some lenses don't need to be specific to mirrorless -- for example, I wouldn't be surprised if the 600mm zooms are basically remounted current designs, as there is not likely to be a lot of difference in size or weight between a remount and a mirrorless-specific lens at those focal lengths. Since EF mount lenses already perform equally well on R bodies, I would think these would as well regardless of what route they take.

Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
As far as I can tell, other than the new 24-70 f/2.8 DG DN Art and the 35 f/1.2 DG DN Art, the rest of their mirrorless full frame lenses are the same design as their DSLR lenses, but built with a mirrorless mount. Not that they're bad lenses, but they're not really going to be any better than mounting a DSLR lens on the R series with the standard Canon adapter.

In other words, the DSLR design lenses, while good, don't take advantage of the shorter backfocus design of the mirrorless bodies.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
Why not just use the current Canon mount with an adapter?

Has anybody been using current Sigma lenses with the R? I have a macro, but I just realized I haven't tried it yet!

The 85 Art for portait work and the 18-35 & 50-100 for video. All work better than they did on the 80D and they worked pretty great on the 80DEOS-R.jpg.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
I'm not assuming that. These are third party manufacturers. They need design flexibility so that they can interchange mounts among Canon, Nikon and Sony. I imagine they will look at each lens and determine if it requires a new design for mirrorless. I would say it is likely that some of the lenses will be specifically designed for mirrorless bodies, but probably not specific to Canon. They may feel some lenses don't need to be specific to mirrorless -- for example, I wouldn't be surprised if the 600mm zooms are basically remounted current designs, as there is not likely to be a lot of difference in size or weight between a remount and a mirrorless-specific lens at those focal lengths. Since EF mount lenses already perform equally well on R bodies, I would think these would as well regardless of what route they take.
Well, for that one lens, yes, but not for the others. they don’t need to specifically be for the Canon. We see a number of lenses designed for Canon, Nikon, Sony, and occasionally another DSLR. Those all have had back focus of about the same amount, so you design for the longest, and the rest fall in line. The same thing here, design for the Sony, and the rest will work as well, with slightly longer mounts.

if you want to take advantage of the better quality possible, and speed, there isn’t a choice, though, leaving Sony out may be required for that, but include the new L, which they’re a member of.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Sigma is going to have to keep their lenses cheap as chips for RF or they won't sell. I honestly prefer the IQ of my RF 24-240mm over my Sigma 85 Art. If Sigma is that far behind in IQ they're not gonna sell anything unless its cheap.
Ok. What was wrong with the 85/1.4 Art again?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Ok. What was wrong with the 85/1.4 Art again?

Sigma is going to have to keep their lenses cheap as chips for RF or they won't sell. I honestly prefer the IQ of my RF 24-240mm over my Sigma 85 Art. If Sigma is that far behind in IQ they're not gonna sell anything unless its cheap.

Seconded. You didn't like the lens?

Upvote 0
We’re all assuming, I assume, that these will be new designs, rather than remounted current designs?

If they do with the Canon RF mount what they did with the Sony E and Leica L mounts, they will progressively release RF versions of existing Art prime lenses originally designed for DSLRs and of existing DG DN lenses specifically designed for short-flange (mirrorless) mounts.

In addition, each and every new DG DN lens will be simultaneously announced in Canon RF, Leica L and Sony E mounts .

In other words:

14mm f/1.8 DG HSM | Art
20mm f/1.4 DG HSM | Art
24mm f/1.4 DG HSM | Art
28mm f/1.4 DG HSM | Art
35mm f/1.4 DG HSM | Art
40mm f/1.4 DG HSM | Art
50mm f/1.4 DG HSM | Art
70mm f/2.8 DG Macro | Art
85mm f/1.4 DG HSM | Art
105mm f/1.4 DG HSM | Art
135mm f/1.8 DG HSM | Art

14-24mm f/2.8 DG DN | Art
24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN | Art
35mm f/1.2 DG DN | Art
45mm f/2.8 DG DN | Contemporary

to begin with.

Upvote 0

jtf

Mar 22, 2019
I have the Sigma Art 50, 85 and 135. Had screwed around with the Sigma USB dock when using them on the 6DII, but set everything back to zeroes to use them adapted on the R, and I haven't touched the dock since. They all focus fast and spot on. The 85 Art with the R's updated eye focusing is outstanding.

For the EOS R it'll be interesting to see what Sigma does. I can't imagine the Sigma RF mount would have the function ring like Canon? Personally I'd probably only use a Canon zoom. As for prime lenses I expect any Sigma Art RF will be optically excellent so it will probably come down to a cost, performance, features, show down with the Canon equivalent.

I'm not a pro so I don't need the RF 50 1.2 for $2100, but the rumor here a while back was Canon will not be making an RF 50 1.4, just a 1.8? If Sigma makes a 50 1.4 I'd have to consider it. But if Canon's rumored RF 50 1.8 is anything like the RF 35 1.8 in features, size, IQ and price I'd definitely go with Canon

Upvote 0
I have the Sigma Art 50, 85 and 135. Had screwed around with the Sigma USB dock when using them on the 6DII, but set everything back to zeroes to use them adapted on the R, and I haven't touched the dock since. They all focus fast and spot on. The 85 Art with the R's updated eye focusing is outstanding.

For the EOS R it'll be interesting to see what Sigma does. I can't imagine the Sigma RF mount would have the function ring like Canon? Personally I'd probably only use a Canon zoom. As for prime lenses I expect any Sigma Art RF will be optically excellent so it will probably come down to a cost, performance, features, show down with the Canon equivalent.

I'm not a pro so I don't need the RF 50 1.2 for $2100, but the rumor here a while back was Canon will not be making an RF 50 1.4, just a 1.8? If Sigma makes a 50 1.4 I'd have to consider it. But if Canon's rumored RF 50 1.8 is anything like the RF 35 1.8 in features, size, IQ and price I'd definitely go with Canon

An RF version of their old 50/1.4 Ex is what I really want more than any other lens. Even if all they do is improve the focusing, slap on an RF mount and call it done. All the other modern 50/1.4 or wider options are simply too big and heavy to routinely make it into my bag.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the R and RP ignore any custom AFMAs made using the Sigma dock?

Upvote 0