SIGMA to address their RF mount plans in early 2020 [CR2]

Why not just use the current Canon mount with an adapter?

Has anybody been using current Sigma lenses with the R? I have a macro, but I just realized I haven't tried it yet!

I mostly quit going 3rd party due to incompatibility problems that arose as new Canon bodies became available. I'm mostly going all Canon glass now.

Contrary, my Canon lenses always seem to work perfect from body to body, even when adapting EF to EF-M or to EOS R. No need for docks to screw around with. Just mount, and shoot.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
who wants a sigma lens, tamron maybe, but is it not the whole point of this system using the new canon lenses
Not for me. While I don't use many third-party lenses, the "whole point" of this system for me is the selection of focus points using the touch screen, the silent shutter, the elimination of AFMA and other characteristics unique to mirrorless. So long as I own DSLRs, I will continue to use and buy EF lenses and adapt them. Because there is no need for AFMA, I'm actually more likely to try a third party lens with mirrorless.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Why not just use the current Canon mount with an adapter?
Has anybody been using current Sigma lenses with the R? I have a macro, but I just realized I haven't tried it yet!
I use Sigma 60-600mm and 20mm f1.4 regularly on R with the adapter and have not noticed any deficiency there. From AF consistancy perspective, the newer Sigma ART lenses work much better than the older 35 or 50mm ones on Canon bodies including R.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Because remounted lenses aren’t a big deal. They won’t perform as well, and will be bulkier than otherwise.
Still, for people that don't want to use an adapter, that might be just fine.

They have E Versions of their DSLR lenses and are beginning to do Mirrorless specific lenses at the moment. Given that they have a mount conversion service, I can't see them releasing only mirrorless versions with RF mount. With the lenses that have the demand, I'm sure they will offer an RF mount version of DSLR lenses.

Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
Sigma entering the RF Lens market can only be a good thing, I don’t currently own any Sigma lenses, but I did once have a Sigma lens for my 30D many moons ago.

If I could pick a lens to come over to the RF equivalent from the current Sigma range it might be the Sigma 85mm f1.4 Art and if they built into the lens IS or as Sigma refer to it OS and kept the price reasonable that might put a pebble in the shoe of Canon.

Whilst the new Canon full frame mirrorless bodies have been priced reasonably, I feel the RF lenses are expensive so competition in the lens market can only be a good thing.

Upvote 0
Sigma could get a step ahead of Canon here and put the control ring near the mount of the lens across the entire lineup, not just on the telephotos.

I'll be more excited when I see:

RF Zeiss Milvus redesigned to take advantage of RF flange distance
RF Zeiss Loxia
RF Voigtlander APO-Lanthar
Or they could get behind. since some others wouldn't want that.

Seems like a great step ahead until we realize opinions are not all the same.

There's a chance Sigma could fare better if they worked more on IS / VC, because even Tamron has that base covered now in various primes like the 35, 45, 90 etc..

Upvote 0
Good news. Hope Sigma makes light lenses that fit form factor of small mirrorless. Why purchase a light weight RP camera and hang a 2lb Canon 85 mm 1.2 hunk of glass on it ? Sigma 1.4 prime lenses are a little on the heavy side for an RP camera. Tamron makes a line of f1.8 IS lenses that are high quality but lighter weight and hence a better fit for R cameras

Upvote 0
Canon has introduced a wonderful line of APC and full frame Mirrorless Cameras in their M and RF lines. Canons biggest deficit is in native lenses for both series. In the M series they produce great bodies but cheap plastic slow lenses with F stops ranging from f4-6.3. The M line has converters that allow you to connect EF lenses- which are too big for the tiny M bodies. Their R bodies are bigger and can accommodate most small prime EF lenses of F1.8 to F2 with no problems. Problem is that Canon are introducing only high quality standard zooms and very fast primes, in short very heavy lenses that defeat the purpose of creating a small mobile kit. Even the RF f4 24-105, a well regarded lens looks ridiculously large on a RP body. Fuji is the only mirrorless company that seems to have mastered the art of creating small, fast, high quality lenses that beautifully match up, size wise to their bodies.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Well, looking at the Sigma web site, they do have a new 24-70 f/2.8 DG DN A for the E-mount. Designed specifically for mirrorless. So it stands to reason that it'll some day come in an RF-compatible version.

I hope Sigma/Tamron/Tokina/et al do not remount Sony e lenses for Canon or Nikon. The much larger mounts of those systems allows for better designs not requiring the huge front elements that a small diameter mount as Sony has (Smaller than the Canon M Mount) requires for faster lenses etc.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
I mostly quit going 3rd party due to incompatibility problems that arose as new Canon bodies became available. I'm mostly going all Canon glass now.

Contrary, my Canon lenses always seem to work perfect from body to body, even when adapting EF to EF-M or to EOS R. No need for docks to screw around with. Just mount, and shoot.

That is what makes Canon unique.
Their vision over 30 years ago is still paying dividends.
I can take an old EF 20-35mm lens, adapt it to the R or M mount and it works as good or better than it did before. Also it works on all EF camers ever made as well 100%.
Try that with any Nikon lens or Minolta (Now Sony) lens of the same era on any of their mirrorless today and with Nikon even many of the F mount cameras. You will not be able to.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
I already got the 28-70 f2... hope that sigma doesnt take something out with same IQ and focus, but with less price hahaha. I can't be more happy right now with this lens, actually. I dont have the feel to need anything more, for my work.
With all the talk about Sigma here, I’d like to remind people that while they can be really good, their QC leaves a lot to be desired, while Canon’s is at the other end, with the least variation.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
If they do with the Canon RF mount what they did with the Sony E and Leica L mounts, they will progressively release RF versions of existing Art prime lenses originally designed for DSLRs and of existing DG DN lenses specifically designed for short-flange (mirrorless) mounts.

In addition, each and every new DG DN lens will be simultaneously announced in Canon RF, Leica L and Sony E mounts .

In other words:

14mm f/1.8 DG HSM | Art
20mm f/1.4 DG HSM | Art
24mm f/1.4 DG HSM | Art
28mm f/1.4 DG HSM | Art
35mm f/1.4 DG HSM | Art
40mm f/1.4 DG HSM | Art
50mm f/1.4 DG HSM | Art
70mm f/2.8 DG Macro | Art
85mm f/1.4 DG HSM | Art
105mm f/1.4 DG HSM | Art
135mm f/1.8 DG HSM | Art

14-24mm f/2.8 DG DN | Art
24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN | Art
35mm f/1.2 DG DN | Art
45mm f/2.8 DG DN | Contemporary

to begin with.
That’s not a “to begin with” list, it’s closer to a final list.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Sigma could get a step ahead of Canon here and put the control ring near the mount of the lens across the entire lineup, not just on the telephotos.

I'll be more excited when I see:

RF Zeiss Milvus redesigned to take advantage of RF flange distance
RF Zeiss Loxia
RF Voigtlander APO-Lanthar
I’ve seen reviews of Canon lenses with the control ring adapter, and generally, they don’t like it. Too easy to grab the ring and change something.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2019
Seconded. You didn't like the lens?

I liked it when I used it for the first few months I had it. Now when I look back on my images I see that it's not that great. My style of shooting has kind of evolved and my eye has gotten more critical. I find that Canon glass requires a lot less post processing to get the look I want, even the relatively cheap RF 24-240 is better than the Sigma 85 Art.

The main problem with the Sigma is that it has a harsh feel to how it renders and the contrast is poor in a lot of scenarios. A lack of contrast is going to hurt image quality because it requires increasing contrast which causes color shifts.... So basically it just isn't for me anymore. (Its on ebay right now actually)

Now that Canon has made the RF 70-200 it is going to be my goto portrait lens.

Upvote 0
I’ve seen reviews of Canon lenses with the control ring adapter, and generally, they don’t like it. Too easy to grab the ring and change something.
That is actually bullshit. You can set that ring, that it is changing selected value just during half-way press back button AF. And that is the time, when you should change the exposure. So in the end, it cannot change accidentely. But I got it. Reviewer unbox camera, set just important things in menu and go shoot. So if you set CR properly, than it is really greta tool. I set it for aperture, because I hate that back dial

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0