Sigma to announce 5 new lenses shortly, including a new 70-200mm f/2.8 OS Sport & 60-600mm f/4.5-6.3 OS Sport

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Or even better, a 200-600mm F5.6... I don't see the point to a wide range zoom like the 60-600mm lens, when most people buy them for the long end tele needs. Too many optical and operational compromises to be useful (at least to me). I rarely use my 150-600mm C lens below 300mm. I would rather see Sigma optimize the optical quality at the long end. I see they are also about to release a 70-200mm F2.8 lens. Unless the optical performance is as good as the Canon equivalent (very likely), AND the price is significantly lower than Canon's (unlikely), I doubt it will be a big hit. I love my Sigma "Art" lenses, they're as good as anything out there. http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1489421/0&year=2017#14033980

I also tend to use at the longer ranges. But, on safari, a short focal length is very useful for when animals come close. I have just complained about the weight of the 150-600mm S f/6.3. A 200-600mm S f/5.6 will be heavier still.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 15, 2015
All in all, at 600mm the lens will need to be on a tripod or monopod to make the image stable enough, especially with those huge megapixel sensors, SO I won't worry about the weight much, if it will be sharp lens it can be a all-you-need to a nature expedition.
Sorry, but this makes no sense. If you have the light for a fast enough shutter speed then simply having a 600mm focal length doesn't mean you have to use support. I just shot wildlife with 800mm from a moving zodiac and if you have the light, it's totally doable. There's no dark art to this, it's simply a case of getting a fast enough shutter speed. If you're on stable ground and using a 4-stop IS system then sharp shots are possible with a 600mm at just a few hundredths of a second. Sure, support is nice to have, but let's not perpetuate some myth that it's absolutely necessary...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Well, we knew a few of these were inevitable when the Cine versions were announced, but hey. There is one more I got a heads-up on a few months ago, nice to see it being received well.

Thank all the powers that be that there will finally be a pro-grade 28mm option for a Canon mount. This has been my most-requested lens from Canon for the last decade. It pisses me off no end that they patented a 28mm f/1.4L design to match the 24 and 35, but never bothered to make it; meanwhile they still pump out the early-90s 28mm f/1.8 which falls to pieces on any modern body. With this and the fast 105mm, Sigma are nicely filling in all the blanks I want from Canon. I could sincerely use nothing but Sigma lenses now, both for all my work and for all my personal shooting. (I won't, 'cause the focusing is still dodgy with some models and I've got perfectly good Canon lenses which don't need to be replaced, but Sigma do now cover every focal length I use.) Shame the filter thread is so large though, so it's a safe bet the lens will be on the unnecessarily heavy side.

The 40mm should be nice, never been terribly happy with the Sigma 35mm or 50mm so sure, I'll take that. May as well. Again, shame about the size, though.

60-600 is a nice surprise. I don't anticipate it having the best optics or AF, but I can see it being very useful for keen starter sports photographers who don't have the money for 'big whites' and for whom total IQ isn't as big a deal as either full-time professional sports shooters or wildlife pros, who'd go for the 150-600 instead. (Which presumably will still have better IQ and AF.)

The 70-200, eh. Sigma's 70-200s have never been terribly impressive so it's hard to be interested in this one. If it has the newer Sigma's AF performance and the price is low, though, it sure has a good market.

The 56mm is a lens I got to see a while back but couldn't discuss publicly. Clued-in due to my well-known love for the 7D series. Anyhoo, in the short time I got to peek at it, it seemed like a monster. Better-built than Sigma's other 'contemporary' lenses that I've handled; couldn't do any detailed image testing, of course, and it was a genuine pre-production (not what manufacturers' PR call "pre-production" a month before a camera is on store shelves; actual pre-production, as far as they hadn't even decided if it would be in the 'contemporary' or 'art' series at the time) so the AF didn't seem all that hot, but hey. I hated the Fujifilm 56mm f/1.2 (three copies of it), but the Sigma feels much better in the hand, the focus ring especially is a lot nicer, and though I can't speak to the image quality in terms of any kind of detail, on the back of the camera it seemed really nice; no distortion or vignetting.
I never got a word about the price or when to expect it to market. It's nice to see it is evidently very close to release; I wasn't expecting it until late next year. (Hence uncharacteristically being willing to keep quiet about it.) If the price is kept reasonable—and since it's a 'contemporary', it should be—it's going to be a monster for APS-C systems and the new standard, most-common portrait prime.

The 28mm is the lens which means the most to me, but FWIW I do believe the 56mm, thought he most unassuming lens of the bunch, is going to be the one making the biggest splash and the most difference.

Upvote 0
60-600mm - getting there, but need 24-600mm to be true all rounder, prefer f4 constant as well. Nothing too silly.

Nah let's go for something simpler, walkaround 12mm-600mm f/2.8-f/5.6 so everyone including astrophotographers and sports shooters will all be happy. Except macro shooters. We don't care about them sorry.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
The 70-200, eh. Sigma's 70-200s have never been terribly impressive so it's hard to be interested in this one.

When I shoot motor sport, I shoot shoulder-to-shoulder with a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 Mk II user: my Siggy 70-200mm matches it in every regard, on identical bodies for both of us.

It's a superb lens, and I don't doubt the new one will be better again...

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
maybe you mean EF-M mount? that disapoints me as well...that sigma keep ignoring EF-M cameras with their DN line of lenses...

Maybe Canon aren't licencing the EF-M mount and protocols to anyone else yet. However, if EF->EF-M Third party adaptors are available it's more than likely that the protocols are either identical or very similar to the standard EF protocols.

Which makes me suspect that Sigma's licence agreement with Canon for use of the EF mount specifically prohibits them using the protocols for developing anything except EF mount lenses. Probably could be renegotiated, but I'm sure Canon are happy to keep control of EF-M for now.

Also, I think the chance of native autofocus capable RF lenses from third parties is remote.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
On side note not sure how many didnt notice when Sigma announced their recent Cine lenses 28mm t1.5 and 40mm t1.5 that those two lenses were missing from current Art primes. So far the Sigma Art primes(and handful of zooms) have their equivalent Cine lenses lenses announced after slr lenses and these two are the probably 1st time that Sigma announced a Cine lens before art prime.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
60-600mm - getting there, but need 24-600mm to be true all rounder, prefer f4 constant as well. Nothing too silly.

As long as it's a lightweight pancake lens and can also do at least 1:1 macro, and of course has latest generation IS, I think I'd buy one if it was under $400.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Maybe Canon aren't licencing the EF-M mount and protocols to anyone else yet. However, if EF->EF-M Third party adaptors are available it's more than likely that the protocols are either identical or very similar to the standard EF protocols.

Which makes me suspect that Sigma's licence agreement with Canon for use of the EF mount specifically prohibits them using the protocols for developing anything except EF mount lenses. Probably could be renegotiated, but I'm sure Canon are happy to keep control of EF-M for now.

Also, I think the chance of native autofocus capable RF lenses from third parties is remote.

As far as I know, Canon have never licensed their EF mount to any third party manufacturers. Sigma reverse engineered the EF mount.

Upvote 0
However, if EF->EF-M Third party adaptors are available it's more than likely that the protocols are either identical or very similar to the standard EF protocols.
exactly! what's keeping sigma and tamron from making the same lenses they make for sony E available for canon M?
i have a hard time believing it's about the mechanics of the EF-M mount since samyang along with numerous chinese manufacturers have been making countless manual EF-M lenses

Upvote 0