SIGMA will announce a 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS shortly

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It looks like SIGMA is joining in on the announcement fun and will soon be announcing a 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS for mirrorless cameras. I doubt we’ll see an RF mount announcement with it.
I’m still trying to find out when SIGMA will announce their RF mount plans, there has been a lot of conflicting information on the topic.

Continue reading...

Canon has not opened up the mount, so it will be harder for the 3rd parties. It will change in time. For now Canon is coming out with some great glass and you can use the old with an adapter. For the Sony users this is good news, there are lots of new options. Now this Sigma better be inexpensive. The Canon and Sony options are very nice, expensive but nice.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I tried out 4 copies of the EF Sigma 100-400mm and reported the results here. This was my last post on it;

"Photozone aka optical limits has finally reviewed the lens: http://www.opticallimits.com/canon_eos_ff/1045-sigma100400f563c
They found what I found in the 4 copies I looked at courtesy of the local dealer; the IS in the viewfinder is terrible and not much good in practice. Their summary is: "Thus even though the Sigma is quite capable in optimal conditions, we'd suggest to look elsewhere."
My experience of the Tamron 100-400mm f/6.3 wasn't good either. I made the mistake of buying one because I thought it would be light for travel but eventually sold it as the tracking of birds in flight was hopeless. The Sigma and Tamron 150-600mms are much, much better and really worthy of consideration."

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks, I'll look into that one. I love how light the 100-400 is, but I'm finding 400mm often isn't enough for birds.
There's copy variation, so test the one you buy. My copy is excellent, and I bought it in the local store as I tried it there and it was so good I couldn't resist it. The image is very steady in viewfinder. The AF at 600mm is fairly slow.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I tried out 4 copies of the EF Sigma 100-400mm and reported the results here. This was my last post on it;
[/URL]

"Photozone aka optical limits has finally reviewed the lens: http://www.opticallimits.com/canon_eos_ff/1045-sigma100400f563c
They found what I found in the 4 copies I looked at courtesy of the local dealer; the IS in the viewfinder is terrible and not much good in practice. Their summary is: "Thus even though the Sigma is quite capable in optimal conditions, we'd suggest to look elsewhere."
My experience of the Tamron 100-400mm f/6.3 wasn't good either. I made the mistake of buying one because I thought it would be light for travel but eventually sold it as the tracking of birds in flight was hopeless. The Sigma and Tamron 150-600mms are much, much better and really worthy of consideration."
The 150-600 offerings from the third parties really are some of the best lenses on the market. Not purely in performance of course but a combination of performance, price and size. I would of course love a canon 100-400 but have never been left wanting with the sigma. Given how good they are it is a little bit surprising to hear the negative review of the sigma 100-400 but it just goes to show that while the third parties CAN produce absolute gems at time they are probably not as consistent as Canon.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
[/URL][/URL][/URL]

Sigma released a firmware update that corrects IS (OS) issues:

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/article/firmware-update-100-400mm-for-mc-11/

【Applicable product】
SIGMA 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary for Canon

【Benefits of this firmware update】
  • Improved the AF performance.
  • Enables the OS mechanism to start operating faster than before.

I can confirm that OS performance has been greatly improved with firmware update.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Sigma released a firmware update that corrects IS (OS) issues:

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/article/firmware-update-100-400mm-for-mc-11/

【Applicable product】
SIGMA 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary for Canon

【Benefits of this firmware update】
  • Improved the AF performance.
  • Enables the OS mechanism to start operating faster than before.

I can confirm that OS performance has been greatly improved with firmware update.
The firmware upgrades came 18 months to 2 years after the release of the lens eg https://www.sigma-global.com/en/news/2019/04/18/2112/. Were they using us as beta testers or were they simply concerned with rushing a product on to the market? At least they put out upgrades.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
The firmware upgrades came 18 months to 2 years after the release of the lens eg https://www.sigma-global.com/en/news/2019/04/18/2112/. Were they using us as beta testers or were they simply concerned with rushing a product on to the market? At least they put out upgrades.
They were genuinely unaware of the issue with AF kicking in a tad to late. It was not a problem shooting at 1/1000 or faster with Is on or off. Obviously. As you do shooting sports or any fast moving subjects. AF was just OK. I would not call it snappy on a DSLR at least. Colours were
A bit too warm for my taste. Contrasty, somewhat nervous bokeh. I would give it another go on R5. It’s a very compact lens, well suited for traveling.
it does offer somewhat limited OS quality.2-3 stops at best? With IBIS in R5 It would have been a very reasonable lens to own in my humble opinion anyway.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
They were genuinely unaware of the issue with AF kicking in a tad to late. It was not a problem shooting at 1/1000 or faster with Is on or off. Obviously. As you do shooting sports or any fast moving subjects. AF was just OK. I would not call it snappy on a DSLR at least. Colours were
A bit too warm for my taste. Contrasty, somewhat nervous bokeh. I would give it another go on R5. It’s a very compact lens, well suited for traveling.
it does offer somewhat limited OS quality.2-3 stops at best? With IBIS in R5 It would have been a very reasonable lens to own in my humble opinion anyway.
I need good IS for hand held shots at 400mm and lower shutter speeds, and the 100-400mm II is excellent for that. IBIS is best suited for shorter focal length lenses, and IS is much better for telephotos. With a Canon lens on the R5, the IS on an appropriate lens and the IBIS should be able to combine to give extra stops of stabilization over and above the IS value by itself.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I need good IS for hand held shots at 400mm and lower shutter speeds, and the 100-400mm II is excellent for that. IBIS is best suited for shorter focal length lenses, and IS is much better for telephotos. With a Canon lens on the R5, the IS on an appropriate lens and the IBIS should be able to combine to give extra stops of stabilization over and above the IS value by itself.
our knowledge of IBIS efficiency of Canon R5 or any other Canon camera is somewhat limited at this stage. Isn't it? :)
Let's keep our options open for now and see what opportunity Canon mirrorless tech combined with IBIS may offer.

Upvote 0