SIGMA will announce a 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS shortly

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I don't think third parties are going to bother with RF protocol. They'll stick to the EF protocol over the RF interface (which mimics an adapted EF lens) as that's what they already know and has far less risk.

I don't think *true* RF lenses are really possible in the way that Canon lenses are - there's no capabilities for proper in-body correction etc.

I was loading lens profiles into my RP this weekend and noticed that the new EF 600mm lens cannot be loaded into the body with a message saying it provides correction+DLO data on its own already. Canon heavily implied that having the lens provide DLO data is an RF feature, but it seems that the 2 most recent EF lenses can do it as well.

Recent Sigma lenses already provide correction data, so it isn't a stretch to think that Sigma is working on having them provide DLO data as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Recent Sigma lenses already provide correction data, so it isn't a stretch to think that Sigma is working on having them provide DLO data as well.

It would be interesting, but I strongly suspect that would be too much work for Sigma to do when all they really want to do is create a generic lens for L/E/RF mounts and do as little extra work as possible to support mount-specific features. Hope I'm wrong about that though.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Sigma needs to dissect an R5 before they introduce RF lenses. Clearly a lot the RF protocol that isn't in any body currently released and even the Canon RF lenses will probably need a firmware update to be on board.

That's not the way Canon typically does things. They include things in bodies and lenses for years before the product that the body or lens needs it for is introduced.

Back in the 1990s, bodies introduced as early as 1992 contained the needed firmware to work with IS lenses. The first Canon IS lens was not released until 1995.

When Canon released the 470EX-AI flash with a self aiming bounce function in 2018, they also revealed that all EOS bodies released since 2014 were fully compatible with it. Older bodies were compatible with the flash's "semi-automatic" mode.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Hmmmm....
Sorry to read that, hope times will be changing soon.
Have you ever considered buying a used EF 100-400 II? It works real good on the EOS R...and can be found for the price of a Tamron.

I've seen plenty of used copies of the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS for the price if the Tamron, i haven't seen any used copies of the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS II for anywhere near the price of the Tamron 100-400.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I was loading lens profiles into my RP this weekend and noticed that the new EF 600mm lens cannot be loaded into the body with a message saying it provides correction+DLO data on its own already. Canon heavily implied that having the lens provide DLO data is an RF feature, but it seems that the 2 most recent EF lenses can do it as well.

Interesting. When I hook up my 5D Mark IV body to EOS Utility to load lens profiles, it tells me I do not need to load the profile for any current EF lens, including the EF 600 IS III and EF 400 IS III. Apparently all of that info is included in the 5D Mark IV's firmware, and updating the firmware recently must have included the lens info for the new Super Telephotos. Neither of those lenses has ever been attached to my 5D Mark IV.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Interesting. When I hook up my 5D Mark IV body to EOS Utility to load lens profiles, it tells me I do not need to load the profile for any current EF lens, including the EF 600 IS III and EF 400 IS III. Apparently all of that info is included in the 5D Mark IV's firmware, and updating the firmware recently must have included the lens info for the new Super Telephotos. Neither of those lenses has ever been attached to my 5D Mark IV.
As I understand it, non-DLO correction data could already be provided by the lens itself, Sigma is doing that for their recent lenses.
RF added lens provided DLO to that.

That doesn’t preclude Canon from baking in data for lenses into the firmware as well.

Upvote 0