Signature Creation

• Thread starter chrismartinez.co.uk
  • Start date
C

chrismartinez.co.uk

Firstly apologies if im being a little stupid here (entirely possible), but as a new member of the foums i can't find out where i go to create a signature for my posts.

i assumed in account settings but i cant seem to find the option to create one. ive had a look at the SMF help but that doesnt really help unfortunately.

Any help the other forum users can offer me would be much apreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
chrismartinez.co.uk said:
Firstly apologies if im being a little stupid here (entirely possible), but as a new member of the foums i can't find out where i go to create a signature for my posts.

i assumed in account settings but i cant seem to find the option to create one. ive had a look at the SMF help but that doesnt really help unfortunately.

Any help the other forum users can offer me would be much apreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Unfortunately, robots have been signing up and creating links in the signature field for all SMF based forums. We had to remove several thousand users who had done nothing but signup and add a bunch of links to the signature field.

Now, we wait for the user to post a few relavant posts to show he is a real person, and then the signature field is activated.

That was the solution recommended for SMF, and something we were forced to do.

Upvote 0
Weggy said:
Me too. Is this written anywhere? Given that plenty of people seem to be have been confused by this maybe there should be a message somewhere during the set up process.

I think not! I guess CR haven't thought about, "telling people"(meaning new users) that this function was disabled, since it has no greater meaning for the site, its just a "add-on" so to say. Eventually people who would like/need this feature would figure it out. And the non serious users wont, but it wont matter cause they probably wont continue to use the site anyway.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
dstppy said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I think there is a good reason why they decide on a case by case basis when to lift the restriction, having a automatic change after x posts will just let spammers modify their posting software to make that many posts.

Kinda like the holga thread? ;D

You don't get it! The spammers adding those advertising signatures by the thousands turn CR into a link farm. this creates a risk that Google and other search engines would ban CR, since the purpose is to fool the search engines into believing a particular site is popular and raising its rank in the searches.

Unpaid volunteer CR moderators have to search thru thousands of posts to find and remove the signatures that are bogus.

Upvote 0
W

Weggy

dstppy said:
I think there is a good reason why they decide on a case by case basis when to lift the restriction, having a automatic change after x posts will just let spammers modify their posting software to make that many posts.

You don't get it! The spammers adding those advertising signatures by the thousands turn CR into a link farm. this creates a risk that Google and other search engines would ban CR, since the purpose is to fool the search engines into believing a particular site is popular and raising its rank in the searches.

Unpaid volunteer CR moderators have to search thru thousands of posts to find and remove the signatures that are bogus.

This is fair (albeit somewhat of an exaggeration - CRs message board is spammed less than many), but all CR needs to do as part of the sign up process is say that you can't have a signature immediately, but you can in future. This would save many of us "serious" members who have just signed up wasting time trying to work out how to do it.

I can't abide the spammers ruining the forum, but also as a new user would find it helpful if some of these nuances were a little clearer.

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
Weggy said:
This is fair (albeit somewhat of an exaggeration - CRs message board is spammed less than many), but all CR needs to do as part of the sign up process is say that you can't have a signature immediately, but you can in future. This would save many of us "serious" members who have just signed up wasting time trying to work out how to do it.

I can't abide the spammers ruining the forum, but also as a new user would find it helpful if some of these nuances were a little clearer.

Good idea about the notice:

I'll add a sticky post, as the original one post about this has long ago dropped off the top of the list.

Having had to work with other moderators to remove thousands of signature spams - it took us weeks, I can assure you that its not a exaggeration.. The new system has so far been working to keep them away, their robots signup by the thousands, but are not able to post spam in signatures.

The signature links are not visable unless you look at the profile for each user. There are no tools to do this, its grunt labor by multiple people who spent many long hours.

Upvote 0
dstppy said:

??? I was referring to the fact that the "member" base tripled overnight, probably from a single script source. I get spam, and I GET spam . . . I'm not sure how you got that I was advocating making it easy for spammers or that mods have life easy.

BTW, what are these 'other' search engines besides Google of which you speak? :D (That was another joke . . .)

Edit: Looks good!:
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,1442.0.html

Upvote 0