Skipping the 5D-s. What do you want in 5D4?

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
The 5D-s will be $4k and a premium studio camera. Great for those who have the need and Canon responded in a way to the two year old D800.

For those who aren't going to buy this camera, what does canon need to do in the 5D4 to consider an upgrade? Assuming that the 5D4 will have no less specs than the 5D-s, What else need to be added on?

My list.

1. All Crosstype AF
2. Linked AF Point Spot Metering? (May be in 5D-s)
3. 1/250th Sync speed bump.
4. Bump to 7-8 FPS.
5. Dual CF
6. DPAF
7. 4K
8. Touchscreen
9. Peaking and Zebra
10. RAW 1080P Video or 4K if possible. (ML managed to do it. Canon can.)
11. IQ, Resolution Bump from 22MP to Anything below 40MP.
12. $3499.

Mar 2, 2012
RLPhoto said:
The 5D-s will be $4k and a premium studio camera. Great for those who have the need and Canon responded in a way to the two year old D800.

For those who aren't going to buy this camera, what does canon need to do in the 5D4 to consider an upgrade? Assuming that the 5D4 will have no less specs than the 5D-s, What else need to be added on?

My list.

1. All Crosstype AF
4. Bump to 7-8 FPS.
5. Dual CF
6. DPAF
7. 4K
8. Touchscreen
9. Peaking and Zebra
12. $3499.

1. Agreed, all cross type would be nice, maybe some dual crosses towards the edges of the frame.
2. Agreed.
3. Agreed.
4. I rarely burst with mine, but sure.
5. Agreed.
6. Don't care, would prefer other developments (on dye ADC, wider bit depth, etc), but if dual diodes per pixel don't hinder sensor performance, sure.
7. Meh, but sure, provided the thermal design is adequate.
8. Meh, but sure.
9. Meh, but sure. Seems like an easy software addition.
10. Meh, but sure, provided the thermal design is adequate.
11. Agreed, and see 6.
12. $3498 :p

___

A. The change-between-servo-and-one-shot button should be a persistent toggle, rather than needing to be constantly depressed. Better yet, two dedicated AF-ON buttons.
B. Crop modes for when I am reach limited and don't want to waste storage capacity on pixels I know I'll be cropping.
C. Add more "C" modes to the dial in place of the P and [A+]. Better yet, a 1D-style interface.
D. RGB Metering.
E. 1Dx-style AF display in the viewfinder.

Upvote 0
I want the highest pixel count that will allow a true 1 stop improvement of high iso use. Anywhere in the range of 22-36, but better in the 28-30 range.
Wifi and software that would allow remote shooting controlled by mobile device. I don't need wifi to immediately share, but rather to allow slightly remote control so say you could capture wildlife, or hand hold off camera lighting. Built in body control of radio flashes.

GPS can be done with an external app, though camera direction and some other subtle data is better handled by in camera gps.

All these things:

1. All Crosstype AF
4. Bump to 7-8 FPS.
5. Dual CF
6. DPAF
7. 4K
8. Touchscreen
9. Peaking and Zebra
12. $3499.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
3kramd5 said:
RLPhoto said:

My list.

1. All Crosstype AF
4. Bump to 7-8 FPS.
5. Dual CF
6. DPAF
7. 4K
8. Touchscreen
9. Peaking and Zebra
12. $3499.

1. Agreed, all cross type would be nice, maybe some dual crosses towards the edges of the frame.
2. Agreed.
3. Agreed.
4. I rarely burst with mine, but sure.
5. Agreed.
6. Don't care, would prefer other developments (on dye ADC, wider bit depth, etc), but if dual diodes per pixel don't hinder sensor performance, sure.
7. Meh, but sure, provided the thermal design is adequate.
8. Meh, but sure.
9. Meh, but sure. Seems like an easy software addition.
10. Meh, but sure, provided the thermal design is adequate.
11. Agreed, and see 6.
12. $3498 :p

___

A. The change-between-servo-and-one-shot button should be a persistent toggle, rather than needing to be constantly depressed. Better yet, two dedicated AF-ON buttons.
B. Crop modes for when I am reach limited and don't want to waste storage capacity on pixels I know I'll be cropping.
C. Add more "C" modes to the dial in place of the P and [A+]. Better yet, a 1D-style interface.
D. RGB Metering.
E. 1Dx-style AF display in the viewfinder.

Possible add-ons

- Built-on RT transmitter
- Bring back different Focusing Screens. EG-s especially.
- Glowing buttons like the D4.

Upvote 0
I think we'll get DPAF, a bump to 7 fps, probably 4k, and a small bump in res to 24-26 (which is plenty). And FINALLY exposure comp in M mode. Probably no swivel screen, no touchscreen, no wifi, no radio trigger, no electronic shutter, no AF-point linked spot metering and no 1D-style top plate. It would be great to have all those things (though I would switch off the touchscreen function), but I don't see it happening.

Give it DPAF, 7 fps and M-EC and I'll upgrade my 5D3 right after the 5D4 goes through its initial price drop.

Upvote 0
My guess is that we'll get:
-New AF system from future 1D X Mk II
-Interchangeable VF screens
-The 7DII features
-EC with Auto ISO in M
-24MP sensor with ~1 stop high ISO improvement, maybe ~1 stop DR improvement
-New video features (me-too 4k and others)
-DIGIC 6
-GPS
-UHS-I
-USB 3.0
-Same FPS
-Distortion correction
-AF during video
-A few smaller surprises

Upvote 0
I don’t need dual CF slots, just make the SD card slot FAST!

The most ridiculous flaw of the Mk III is that the slooooow SD card slot bottlenecks the entire camera when you have an SD card installed…which defeats the whole purpose of having two slots.

Looks like they finally fixed this on the 5DS. They market it as a feature, but it should’ve never been an issue from the start. Lazy, lazy engineering.

I actually prefer having an SD card slot as well because those cards are easier to find in a bind when you’re in the middle of nowhere with only access to a maybe a Walgreens or a gas station (this happened to me once, sucked!). Try finding CF cards at gas stations. It’s also easier to find readers for SD cards, and many laptops have the readers built-in.

Upvote 0
RLPhoto said:
Possible add-ons

- Built-on RT transmitter
- Bring back different Focusing Screens. EG-s especially.
- Glowing buttons like the D4.

A built-in radio transmitter is long overdue. Canon would have to incorporate just about everything on your first list of "wants" for me to consider upgrading from my 5D3. I still love shooting with it, and it still feels new :)

Upvote 0
RLPhoto said:

My list.

1. All Crosstype AF
4. Bump to 7-8 FPS.
5. Dual CF
6. DPAF
7. 4K
8. Touchscreen
9. Peaking and Zebra
12. $3499.

My wishlist:

1. higher ISO
2. less noise / banding
3. EOS iTR AF
4. a way to control exposure compensation in manual mode (M) when using auto ISO
5. Resolution not higher than 24MP
6. DPAF (if possible in combination with 3.)

1. - 3. should be in for me to buy it, 4. - 6. would be great

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
My guess is that we'll get:
-New AF system from future 1D X Mk II
-Interchangeable VF screens
-The 7DII features
-EC with Auto ISO in M
-24MP sensor with ~1 stop high ISO improvement, maybe ~1 stop DR improvement
-New video features (me-too 4k and others)
-DIGIC 6
-GPS
-UHS-I
-USB 3.0
-Same FPS
-Distortion correction
-AF during video
-A few smaller surprises

+1 for GPS and higher ISO and DR

Upvote 0
RLPhoto said:

My list.

1. All Crosstype AF
4. Bump to 7-8 FPS.
5. Dual CF
6. DPAF
7. 4K
8. Touchscreen
9. Peaking and Zebra
12. $3499.

1. All Crosstype AF
Would be nice.
Strong agree

7. 4K
Strong agree

9. Peaking and Zebra
Would be nice, but not not important because ML will support it.

Would be nice.

Agree.

12. $3499.
Agree. Of cause the lower the better.

Upvote 0
for video, EOSHD put it nicely. The 5D-s is a 2012 camera in 2015.
http://www.eoshd.com/2015/02/canon-5ds-takes-a-backwards-step-for-video-why-is-canon-so-baffling/

It think 4K was a huge missed opportunity for canon here.

resolution wise, I think it is right where it needs to be. It is a bit conservative for the times. You get 8.6K pixels of horizontal data which is about 1.3K more than where we landed two years ago with 36 MP. It is a bit less of a jump than going from 5.7K 20MP sensors to 7.3K, but not by much. I think most manufacturers will land somewhere in the 8K horizontal resolution. So basically it will be good for two years or so until we start seeing pushes to 9-10K. I think for a 5D4 they should stay at 50 but improve on the DR and base ISO which should have been 64 in this camera to keep up with what others are doing. Better yet, push it to 32. And DR goes without saying has to be at least 14 stops to put it on par with 3 year old standards, if not take it to 15 stops to market it as better.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
dilbert said:
RLPhoto said:
1. All Crosstype AF

Won't happen.

4. Bump to 7-8 FPS.

This will depend in part of if it is DIGIC 6, DIGIC 6+ or DIGIC 7 and the number of MP.

5. Dual CF

Not enough space in the camera.

Maybe. Depends on how video focused Canon sees the camera.

7. 4K

I like your optimism :)

8. Touchscreen

Maybe.

9. Peaking and Zebra

Won't happen. Wrong target market.

... why didn't you put "clean ISO 6400" or "clean ISO12000" on your list? ;)
I consider the 5D3 plenty usable to 12k ISO and 25K ISO for B&W push only. If they could make it better great but it's good for me.

even if canon disappoints, I won't be leaving them anytime soon. I'd probably buy that 28mm HC for my other system instead.

Upvote 0