Skylum Updates Luminar 2018 to Version 1.3.0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Skylum Software has released a significant update for Luminar 2018, they’re extremely popular image editing software.</p>
<p>Remember, if you decide it’s time to order this great software, use the coupon code <strong>CANONRUMORS</strong> during checkout to save an additional $10 off new and upgrade licenses.</p>
<p><strong><a href="https://macphun.evyy.net/c/260424/185399/3255?u=https%3A%2F%2Fskylum.com%2Fluminar-b%3Futm_expid%3D86009138-88.6cHyPdbYR2ifC1SBW7p0Xw.1">Visit Skylum to learn more about Luminar 2018 now</a></strong></p>
<p>Update information for Mac and Windows is after the break.</p>
<p><!--more--></p>
<p><strong>Luminar Updates for Windows PC User</strong></p>
<p>Several improvements as well as a ton of new features await PC users. New features include:</p>
<ul>
<li><b>Image Transformation Controls.</b> You can quickly access new controls directly with buttons when using the Free Transform tool. You can now flip a layer on its horizontal or vertical axis.  Layers can also be rotated 90˚ as needed for compensating for camera rotation. Changes made are also stored in the file’s History.</li>
<li><b>Layer Renaming.</b> All those new layers you add can now be assigned a custom name (everything except for the original image), making it easier to organize adjustments to your project. Double-clicking on the layer’s name gives you the ability to edit it.</li>
<li><b>White Balance Tool.</b> In the Develop, Raw Develop and Color Temperature filters, there’s now an eyedropper tool to adjust white balance with precision.</li>
<li><b>Canvas Color.</b> You can now set your Canvas background color to white, black or any shade of gray. Just click on View, then Background, and pick your shade.</li>
<li><b>DNG Camera Profiles (DCP).</b> Luminar ups your ability to work in RAW at the pro level via DNG Camera Profiles; they’ll work with the DCP files you may already have, whether purchased from third parties or in your existing photo management system.</li>
<li><b>Image History.</b> To better keep track of your changes, now History will be saved automatically when you save a document. It’s also easy to see the White Balance presets as they’re now displayed in the image history with the preset name when using Develop and RAW Develop filters.</li>
</ul>
<p>Luminar for Windows users also benefit from many improvements to make your image editing faster and easier. These include:</p>
<ul>
<li><b>Sharpening.</b> Sharpen up that image even more accurately with the more responsive Sharpening filter, plus see all your changes in real time and high resolution.</li>
<li><b>Faster opening of RAW-files.</b> Improvements in the RAW engine mean opening raw files and getting to work is faster than ever.</li>
<li><b>Filter Performance.</b> Adding or removing filters to an image is now faster too, and even easier thanks to the larger area in the Side Panel to control filters.</li>
<li><b>Blending Modes.</b> Now you can update blending modes for Adjustments and Image Layers in real-time just by hovering your mouse over the desired mode. Find the perfect blending mode by mousing-over the list.</li>
<li><b>Batch Processing.</b> Save time with improvements to Batch Processing functions including Replace or Skip File when you’re saving the file with the same name. You can also batch the creation of JPEG and TIFF files, and renaming and re-numbering files on export is now more reliable.</li>
<li><b>Language Support.</b> Luminar now offers seven improved localizations: Chinese, Chinese Simplified, French, German, Japanese, Portuguese (Brazil), and Spanish.</li>
</ul>
<p><strong>Luminar Updates for Mac Users</strong></p>
<p>Luminar users who use Macs can enjoy a number of improvements too.</p>
<p>Brand new for the Apple crowd is Plugin Support. You’re now be able to use these third-party plugins through the Plugins menu: Imagenomic Noiseware 5, Imagenomic Portraiture 3, Imagenomic Realgrain 2, and DxO FilmPack 5.</p>
<p>You also now have access to these Luminar improvements:</p>
<ul>
<li><b>Raw Develop filter.</b> the Lens and Transform effects are now improved, for example when using the Compare option, effects aren’t shown on the left (Before) side, nor are the effects blended with the original when using the Filters Amount slider.</li>
<li><b>Sharpening. </b>It’s now easier to use the Sharpening filter with more responsive and accurate results. You can also get real-time feedback as you adjust the Sharpening controls and see all your changes in high res.</li>
<li><b>Batch Processing. </b>Exporting to several file formats is now possible, including new options for both PDF and JPEG-2000.</li>
<li><b>Filter Controls. </b>Save time by clicking on the checkbox or control name to enable or disable all filter checkboxes. You can also use scrubbable number sliders by mousing over the filter values, then moving the slider by clicking and dragging left or right.</li>
<li><b>JPEG Controls.</b> You can now precisely control your JPEG and JPEG-2000 compression. The Quality slider shows you the precise numeric value, and you can change it by clicking on a number or entering the exact value you want.</li>
<li><b>Image History. </b>When using the RAW Develop and Develop filters, check your image history to see White Balance presets, which are displayed with the preset name. You can also now use the “Save History” option when you save files using the “Windows Compatible” option.</li>
<li><b>LUT Mapping</b>. You can now easily scroll through your LUTs in the LUT Mapping filter.  Just hover your mouse over a LUT and it updates in real-time.</li>
<li><b>Language Support. </b>These eight languages now have improved localizations: Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, Brazilian Portuguese, Japanese, Chinese, and Simplified Chinese.</li>
</ul>
<p><strong>Easy to Update</strong></p>
<p>Updating to the new Luminar is easy. The system should give you a prompt next time you open it. But if you want to check manually, just follow these simple steps:</p>
<ul>
<li>Mac: Select “Luminar 2018” then “Check for updates”.</li>
<li>Windows: Select “Help” then “Check for updates”.</li>
</ul>
<p><strong><a href="https://macphun.evyy.net/c/260424/185399/3255?u=https%3A%2F%2Fskylum.com%2Fluminar-b%3Futm_expid%3D86009138-88.6cHyPdbYR2ifC1SBW7p0Xw.1">Visit Skylum to learn more about Luminar 2018 now.</a></strong></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
so far I'm getting a sense Luminar and On1 are some of the better lightroom alternatives which aren't perpetual pay to play.

I tried On1 2018 (not the latest now) and it seemed powerful, but had a bit of a learning curve.. I'll probably re-download and test.. and test this, but wondering if anyone has already done this and has some insights.

Upvote 0
Not wishing to sound (too) negative, but I will anyway... ;)

I've used On1 and most of the MacPhun/Skylum products, and I’m not impressed.

Both products feature (over) frequent upgrades, which in my case have always required payment. This renders them effectively the same as a subscription model.

Although not as expensive as CC, the features are also definitely not as comprehensive. It really depends what you're looking for in an editor, as both apps are considerably less complex than Adobe.

Of the two, I prefer On1, as it includes a browser as one of the distinct modules. I'm primarily looking for a DAM, but nothing comes close to Apple's now defunct Aperture for integrating the features I need (still working on OS X 10.12)

At least you can trial both products, but if you're looking for an editor, then Serif's Affinity seems to come closest to Photoshop in terms of features and power. They have an extensive collection of video tutorials, which are thoroughly recommended. All updates for both the Mac & iOS app have been included (no sneaky app name change...)

My conclusion would be that neither is a replacement for Lightroom, although Skylum is 'just about' to integrate DAM features in to Luminar (and increase the price).Both companies will also bombard you with marketing emails, typically offering a 'bundle' that keeps their price the same, rather than offering a real discount.

I don't like the subscription model of Adobe, but it might just be the better offer in considering these two alternatives. Good luck with the trials, and let us know what I missed.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
thanks for sharing.

I already purchased Affinity Photo, but it's a heavy weight product with photoshop capabilities and complexity. I think it's pretty cool, but I don't want to take the time required to learn and process each photo. Lightroom allows a fairly fast, high volume work flow with a fair bit of power.

My previous On1 trial had showed a fair bit of promise, but wasn't missing some minor things I liked in LR... so hoping the latest update polishes on that, but haven't yet tried it. The DAM is oddly one of the things I dislike on LR.. I don't like their database and I wish I could disable it. I prefer keeping my own file structure and writing the changes to a .xmp file.

I tried Luminar trial yesterday.. I found the interface less intuitive to me, but only had a very short time with it. I'll continue to look at it.

re: Frequent updates and charge attempts by the two vendors, thanks for the heads up. It is a concern that they charge for every minor update, but not a problem for me for major updates. I don't expect to get free upgrades for life, but that I get to choose to keep using my existing version at no additional cost and defer buying an upgrade for as long as I want. I also expect bugs and minor feature updates should be included for at least a year or more

anyways thanks for info.. hope others chime in :)

Upvote 0