SL2 / 200D: Question about battery drain / leak currents

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Hi folks!

Having the 100D/SL1 I found it once again quite annoying that after about 2 or 3 weeks in the cabinet the once fully charged LP-E12 is sucked empty by some leak currents I have this question about the EOS 200D / Rebel SL2:

How well is that body behaving in this discipline (battery drain when turned off)?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

Maximilian

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Maximilian.
I just checked Angela's 100D, a month that I can verify and probably more in the cupboard, it turns on and the battery shows full on the scale, I didn't try the flash to put a load on but I'm certain it was full enough to use for a reasonable time though maybe not all day!
It seems like your camera must have some issue. Do you have an eyefi card enabled or anything like that, not that I know if that would stay on with the power off!

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Hi Valvebounce!
Hi Mt Spokane!

Thanks for your replies!

Mt Spokane Photography said:
I seldom turn mine off, no drain.
I am not sure so I ask: I suppose you're talking about your SL2 as I cannot remember you hving a SL1. Correct?

... either a bad battery with too much self discharge current (easy to test by leaving it out of the camera for a few days)...
Tried self discharge serveral times with both of my batteries as I live with that problem from the start.
Batteries (genuine) are fine.
Checked the www when I got the 100D, seemed to be normal at that time, so I thought it was normal.

... or its a bad power supply board in the camera, get it repaired.

Reading Valvebounce's answer it seems not normal and that there was a "bad batch" at the time I bought it, as it was common.

Maybe I've got mine to get checked. As it is out of warranty I'm gonna contact Canon GER first.
If repair is too expensive I can live with it but as I said it's annoying.

Greetings,
Maximilian

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I've been pleased with Battery life on my SL2. I keep GPS Turned off, and there is a Wi-Fi file transfer button on top that I use when I want to transfer files to tablet or phone. I just returned from a week in California visiting relatives and spending a day touring San Francisco. I used Wi-Fi to transfer lots of raw photos to my iPhone where I did minor editing with Adobe LRCC, and uploaded them to the cloud as a backup. I haven't bothered to recharge the battery, its still half a charge.

I use live view almost 100% of the time which makes the battery life even more amazing.

Upvote 0