SLR Evolution - Missing features

xD series cameras

2015 and they still don't have a ~1MP LCD display overlay in the optical viewfinder. You should be able to review the picture you just took without taking your eye out of the optical viewfinder by now as well as the option to choose between Optical and rendered (live view) through the viewfinder. (customizeable to show histogram or 100% focus check.)

Tilt - Body should be able to tilt the sensor - you shouldn't need a dedicated TS lens for tilt. Besides - having the body do it could lead to 'auto' tilt for expanded DOF when two AF points are selected.

NFC / Smartphone pairing / Image transfer. (You should be able to easily share a picture you just took simply by putting your smartphone close to the SLR body.

Also; when will my SLR be able to make phone calls and send text messages? - plenty of room for a good speakerphone. (joke.)

Mar 20, 2015
A tilt-sensor would be equivalent to back-focus in the view camera world, which is used sparingly because it changes the convergence of the subject e.g. a square becomes a trapezoid. Front-tilt ( lens ) preserves convergence. It would also introduce problems of vibration and movement of the mounting.

I really want eye-cued autofocus to make a return. For most purposes I've given-up using autofocus for anything other than the initial focus acquisition, everything after that is manually-focused. Fiddling with a joystick to select an AF point is very cumbersome when trying to follow fast action ( e.g. airshow ) compared to just looking at the point of interest.

Upvote 0
tilt lenses also usually have much larger image circle projections, which allows the lens to be moved around relative to the sensor without vignetting...

a tilt sensor might work ok with say an aps-c sensor, or cropped images to remove vignetting, but its unlikely that an ef lens will deliver much useful latitude on a 135 format sensor.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Canon goes to extremes, shimming the sensor corners to 0.01mm in order to get them exactly perpendicular to the lens mount. A movable sensor that could move with that kind of precision might be expensive to make. Sensors do vibrate in plane, the location from side to side or up and down is not that critical, but tilting can be a big issue. Its better to move the lens.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I'd certainly like if you could see the photo you've just taken in the viewfinder.
I'm not sure if that would have to make it an electronic viewfinder.
I have the Fuji X100S and it's one of it's best features.
In bright sunlight its hard to see the screen on a camera no matter how good they are.

The Fuji also has an internal drop in neutral density filter.
Not sure if that is or is not a great idea but it can be a useful feature.

A leaf shutter would be a good addition for higher sync speeds.

I've not used touch screen but I'm told it's pretty useful.

Articulated screens are very useful but the pro cameras don't have them for weather sealing purposes I suppose.

I'd really like a 20x zoom on Live view but very detailed (if possible).

Auto AFMA would be a treat.

A strap system thats really suited to a diagonal strap like a black rapid but doesn't ruin the body of your camera from rubbing.

Some sort of universal mount on the base of the camera. Just easily slots in a slots out of a tripod.

Amazing battery life (when will batteries improve? they seem to have reached the limit on technology).

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Andyx01 said:
Tilt-Shift adapter / patent:
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=27465.0

(A move toward what I felt should be integrated into a modern body.)

Its moving the lens just like any other tilt-shift. There is no sensor movement. Its also for a eos-M. It will not work on a DSLR due to the flange back distance. While its a neat idea, its very complex, and could be extremely expensive, so it will likely never happen. Canon has about 50-100 US patents published each week, and a lot more in Japan. Only a few are actually implemented.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Andyx01 said:

Its moving the lens just like any other tilt-shift. There is no sensor movement. Its also for a eos-M. It will not work on a DSLR due to the flange back distance. While its a neat idea, its very complex, and could be extremely expensive, so it will likely never happen. Canon has about 50-100 US patents published each week, and a lot more in Japan. Only a few are actually implemented.

I;m guessing his point is that it could be included in an EF mount body as a built in feature even if the camera would need to be a mirrorless one.

Upvote 0

FTb-n

Canonet QL17 GIII
Sep 22, 2012
St. Paul, MN
An overlay to allow "viewfinder chimping" is an interesting idea, especially for outdoor shooting when the current LCD is hard to see. But, I'd be happy if there was a way to make the current LCD more visible in bright daylight.

Ergonomically, the 1Dx is tough to beat. But, I would like to see a slight paradigm shift away from the static ISO setting with exposure control primarily limited to controlling the shutter speed or the aperture. The current Manual-Av-Tv-P mode settings have their roots with film where the ASA/ISO was static. They are based on the various ways to manipulate shutter speed and aperture, but not ISO. The introduction of Auto ISO helps, but it feels like a hack. I would like to see the following -- which may include some drastic changes:

- Add a third dial where each of the (then) three dials can be dedicated to Shutter Speed, Aperture, and ISO. The user can select which dial maps to which exposure control setting.

- Menu settings to control the parameters of each exposure setting -- Shutter Speed, Aperture, and ISO -- to include:

- AUTO min
- AUTO max
- Dial min
- Dial max
- AUTO on dial (on/off) -- determines whether AUTO is an option on the dial

- Exposure Bias (aka Exposure Compensation) setting option that can be applied to all exposure modes.

- Replace Bulb-Manual-Av-Tv-P-C1-C2-C3 modes with (virtually) unlimited custom settings where the user can create their own set of saved modes and name them using up to 4 alpha-numeric characters (maybe more). These custom modes are no longer associated with a base mode like M, Av, or Tv. When shooting under custom modes, the user can effectively switch from AUTO shutter speed to AUTO aperture and have that setting stick without creating a new custom mode. This concept is based on the 1Dx model without the physical mode dial. Of course, these "custom" settings can be pre-loaded with BULB, MAN, AV, TV, and PROG modes.

- Keep the 1Dx select-able mode option where the user can select which of the custom modes to make available to the mode selection button.

I also like the idea of revisiting the strap mounts. At minimum, it would be nice to have four, one at each corner. Maybe design the strap bracket to allow for threading a strap as currently done or to be part of a quick release connector. A buckle like connector could designed to clip and lock onto the body-mount strap connector.

Sometimes, it's fun to dream...

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
moreorless said:
Andyx01 said:

I;m guessing his point is that it could be included in an EF mount body as a built in feature even if the camera would need to be a mirrorless one.

EF mount bodies would not work due to the flange back distance. The flange back distance needs to be less than a EF mount lens for it to work because it moves the lens away from the body and you would only have close focus available. Even if the EF body was mirrorless, a EF flange back distance is the issue.

Upvote 0
Here are my thoughts(wishes) on how the slr body can evolve. First I really really like what Pentax is doing with weather proofing and someday i think it would be beyond awesomeness to be able to take a slr kayaking or into a pool without any additional protection. (keep dreaming right :- )

Back to Earth, I don’t understand why cameras can’t have two 1/4-20 holes on the bottom of their body to truly secure it to a tripod plate. Over the years no matter how hard I try and make that bolt the camera still ends up rotating at some point, a second point of contact would not only prevent this it would mean you didn’t need to over tighten the bolt. If you only wanted to use one great, but at least you would have an option.

Third with the lcd display, why can’t they go ahead and build in a secure way to attach a loupe onto the camera without any of the weird baseplate attachments. And yes if this means only buying a Canon loupe not a problem. I know this is going to be essential when mirror-less becomes more prevalent as I would rather look through it than an evf. or for that matter the slr’s viewfinder.

Fourth I use to want a rotating screen now I really want the camera to seamlessly connect with my phone. Yes I have the 6d and the wifi app is ok but I really want to see it improve. Including having the ability to use touch screen follow focus, use it as a way to input metadata on both stills and footage(such as an electronic clip board, video monitor, and do complex scripting with the bracketing mode, maybe even scripting to have time-lapse exposures increase over time. Bringing me to the fact Canon should buy out Magic Lantern tweak the firmware and menu design and allow users the option of natively installing a second firmware with the additional features (not sure I said that correctly) [yes I understand their are programs such as digital director at $500 I want Canon’s app to do this, not software on top of software on top of software]

Having the phone(or even a monitor/recorder unit by Canon) be a second part of the camera brings me the idea of attaching it to the top of the camera with a tiltable arm and I know I’m alone in this sentiment (sold my last on-camera flash) I would love to see the hotshoe get replaced with a design that allows for a much more secure way of attaching items up there. Would not bother me at all to remove it and have a 1/4-20 threaded hole that a person could even attach a handle too. Maybe even throw a 1/4-20 threaded hole in the grip at 90 degrees for a vertical attachment without the need of an L Bracket. Could we get rid of all inputs except usb-c?

Finally I would like to see the display level on the camera improve for both directions, while a green line seems simple it’s not always that easy to dial in those last subtle adjustments and it’s basically useless if you are trying to hand hold an level the shot.

Upvote 0
FTb-n said:
- Add a third dial where each of the (then) three dials can be dedicated to Shutter Speed, Aperture, and ISO. The user can select which dial maps to which exposure control setting.

Not sure if you knew this, but you can directly change your ISO by holding down the set button when scrolling the index finger wheel on the 5D III (see custom controls)

Upvote 0
moreorless said:
Andyx01 said:

EF mount bodies would not work due to the flange back distance. The flange back distance needs to be less than a EF mount lens for it to work because it moves the lens away from the body and you would only have close focus available. Even if the EF body was mirrorless, a EF flange back distance is the issue.

The flange back distance is only an issue because current bodies are not designed to tilt / shift and thus do not accommodate the feature.

The EF mount is spaced rather far from the sensor to accommodate the mirror. This is why the mirrorless bodies can use such an adapter.

My point is that on a modern body, you shouldn't need an adapter, nor should you need a mechanism to shift the lens in relation to the body; instead the sensor should be able to shift (well... tilt) in relation to the lens. Shift would be kinda silly unless we are talking minor shifting for EF, an APSC.

Upvote 0

FTb-n

Canonet QL17 GIII
Sep 22, 2012
St. Paul, MN
Andyx01 said:
FTb-n said:

Not sure if you knew this, but you can directly change your ISO by holding down the set button when scrolling the index finger wheel on the 5D III (see custom controls)
Yes, I did find this and I have both my 5D3 and 1Dx set to use it. But, I found it awkward to use on the 5D3. I shoot with back-button focusing and don't have a problem switching between the focus button and the top of the rear wheel to change aperture. But I can't reach the SET button without twisting my wrist away from the camera. I do find that using the SET+Top Dial combination on the 1Dx is a bit easier to do. (But, thanks for offering the tip!!)

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
I'd like secondary in body IS, 1 or 2 stops just for us ol' shakes out there. If you mount an IS lens then it is automatically switched off. I'd want to manually switch it on though to give me the choice, through menu would be fine.

I'd like to see an additional electronic safety lock for the lens mount on the menu, optional to engage of course.

I think more detailed HUDs in the optical viewfinder is more 'when' than 'if'

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
You missed one important feature: future DSLRs should be able to do your annual tax declaration automatically after taking images of all documents needed for that. Okay, in particular the German setting of such a camera should be a real challenge since German tax laws are anti-logical. Pretty sure that such a strong feature would silence the mirrorless fanboys ;)

Upvote 0
Andyx01

"You shouldn't need a dedicated lens for tilt-shift."
Except, it is by far the simplest solution.
1. Traditional view cameras have adjustments at the lens and image planes. By a trick of Galilean relativism, you can simply move the whole camera to achieve the image plane adjustments. But, adjustability of the lens plane must be maintained to play the tricks.
2. Tilt of the sensor is a conceivable solution (and you could tilt the body the wrong way, then bring the sensor back to parallel to the subject to maintain square lines). But, what about shift? This owner of a 24 TSE would never trade it for a lensbaby, and I'm not saying that based on sharpness.
3. The fraction of the world's photos that can properly use tilt is tiny. That is based on a combination of subject, operator training, and time to get the shot. A two point AF system is a conceivable means to speed things up, but that second adjustable parameter greatly complicates things (I think it would have to be an iterative search).
4. More actuators equals more failure modes and more cost. Failure modes include inappropriate tilt, broken tilt, extra fatigue of the wiring off the sensor,...
Add 3 and 4 and no manufacturer will ever contaminate a mass market camera with this.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
retroreflection said:
Andyx01

"You shouldn't need a dedicated lens for tilt-shift."
Except, it is by far the simplest solution.
1. Traditional view cameras have adjustments at the lens and image planes. By a trick of Galilean relativism, you can simply move the whole camera to achieve the image plane adjustments. But, adjustability of the lens plane must be maintained to play the tricks.
2. Tilt of the sensor is a conceivable solution (and you could tilt the body the wrong way, then bring the sensor back to parallel to the subject to maintain square lines). But, what about shift? This owner of a 24 TSE would never trade it for a lensbaby, and I'm not saying that based on sharpness.
3. The fraction of the world's photos that can properly use tilt is tiny. That is based on a combination of subject, operator training, and time to get the shot. A two point AF system is a conceivable means to speed things up, but that second adjustable parameter greatly complicates things (I think it would have to be an iterative search).
4. More actuators equals more failure modes and more cost. Failure modes include inappropriate tilt, broken tilt, extra fatigue of the wiring off the sensor,...
Add 3 and 4 and no manufacturer will ever contaminate a mass market camera with this.

+ 5. Images of high res cameras contain enough optical information to correct perspective distortion by post-processing and get very good results.

I guess a camera body with a tilt-shift sensor would be huge, quite complex and prone to gradual sensor misaligning. In particular with highly resolving sensors such a technology would require expensive mechanics that is both precise and robust to withstand typical use for many years.

I think in future we'll see cameras with less mechanics that wears off, i.e. good mirrorless cameras with fast electronic shutters and electronic image stabilization like in mobile phones.

Upvote 0