So far so good, the Canon EOS R pleasantly surprised Jared

Dec 13, 2010
FWIW, current Canon touchscreens work fine with reasonably thin cotton gloves, especially if you increase the sensitivity. And then there are gloves with thin metal wire woven into the fingertips specifically for use with touchscreens.
I was wondering that, which type of touchscreen it is, only sensitive to fingers, or touch from anything...

Upvote 0

Uglen

EOS 5D mk IV, EOS C100 mk II
Sep 7, 2018
Your statement implies the point of FF mirrorless is to push spec barriers or to be small. Consider a different perspective.

Comparing to the 5D4...

If you don't shoot video:
  • Your RF lenses have a control ring that you can customize, and you can make adjustments in 1/8th stop increments now
  • All your EF lenses can be rear ND or CPL'd and they all get a control ring now as well
  • Your mirrorless 5D4 now has Eye AF
  • Your mirrorless 5D4 now has AF points all over the frame
  • Your mirrorless 5D4 will (someday) be able to adapt non-Canon glass
  • Your mirrorless 5D4 + adaptor ring now costs ~ $2500 (depending on which one you get)
  • Your mirrorless 5D4 now has exclusive access to an industry first zoom and (possibly) Canon's first comprehensive workhorse 50 prime.
Additionally, if you do shoot video:
  • Your mirrorless 5D4 now has a tilty-flippy
  • Your mirrorless 5D4 can now output 10 bit 4:2:2
Yes, some stuff is taken away from the 5D4 experience, but so is the price.

Stop comparing to A7. Start comparing to Canon SLRs. This thing will sell very, very well.

- A
Solid points!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
I was wondering that, which type of touchscreen it is, only sensitive to fingers, or touch from anything...

Like practically all touchscreens these days, Canon's are multitouch capacitive screens. They are sensitive to conductive things such as fingers brought close enough to the screen surface. Gloves are typically not conductive and depending on thickness and screen sensitivity may or may not prevent a finger from getting close enough.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Like practically all touchscreens these days, Canon's are multitouch capacitive screens. They are sensitive to conductive things such as fingers brought close enough to the screen surface. Gloves are typically not conductive and depending on thickness and screen sensitivity may or may not prevent a finger from getting close enough.

Are there any thin gloves, like the awesome old Lowepro gloves, that can work that anyone know of? I have some, but they are fabric and SUPERslippery, so using them is begging for the camera to be dropped, lol.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Solid points!

It's just that Canon is somewhat shrewdly taking the spec-sheet lovers (no IBIS, single card, cropped 4k) and 'mirrorless is all about being small' people and :poop:ing all over their dreams with a different take: mirrorless can do more than your SLR in specific ways.

As predicted by yours truly (and a lot of others here) Canon wants this first offering to be an attractive second/companion body to your Canon SLR far more than a tool to win new users or 'stick it to Sony'. This product will make a ton of money as a result. Canon SLR users are Canon's easiest sale for the first few years.

In complete fairness, I didn't think Canon would walk this middle path between 'keep it small' and 'keep it seamless' (with full EF mount). Canon has plotted a very interesting and clever path forward here. Room to be smaller and room to be bigger.

- A

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
FYI it looks like Fro (and others) are getting subtly accused of going easy on the Canon EOS R because Canon flew a lot of youtube reviewers out to Hawaii to test the body. Fro had a podcast on it last night I think addressing the suggestion. The argument has been "maybe if Nikon put out more for the reviewers they wouldn't of been so hard on the Z7 and Z6".

God forbid someone say something nice about a Canon camera. If you want to have some fun, search EOS R on youtube and count how many icons have someone doing a facepalm in it. The frothing hype around new mirrorless cameras is getting a bit silly. Well, "getting" may be a bit of an overstatement.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
God forbid someone say something nice about a Canon camera. If you want to have some fun, search EOS R on youtube and count how many icons have someone doing a facepalm in it. The frothing hype around new mirrorless cameras is getting a bit silly. Well, "getting" may be a bit of an overstatement.

Everything is getting silly these days and internet is catalyzing it.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
FYI it looks like Fro (and others) are getting subtly accused of going easy on the Canon EOS R because Canon flew a lot of youtube reviewers out to Hawaii to test the body. Fro had a podcast on it last night I think addressing the suggestion. The argument has been "maybe if Nikon put out more for the reviewers they wouldn't of been so hard on the Z7 and Z6".

Not surprised those digs have surfaced.

But they largely shelled EOS R on day one based on what it didn't have, but most who used it seemed to really like what it did have that typically doesn't top the spec lists:
  • Peppy VF and AF performance
  • No (or far less than expected?) VF blackout
  • Thoughtful ergonomics and a grip that does not ruin your hand
  • Two far sexier than anticipated lenses for such a product's first offering
  • Clever control ring functionality
  • Adapters with useful stuff in there: filters, control rings for EF lenses, etc.
  • A very nice shutter close during lens changeout
In short, you hate the specs until you realize so many other things are really solid in this camera. Call me crazy, Canon will get throttled for specs/performance in reviews, but each reviewer will beg for 3-5 features of the EOS R to be put into the next Nikon Z or Sony A7.

- A

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Not surprised those digs have surfaced.

In short, you hate the specs until you realize so many other things are really solid in this camera. Call me crazy, Canon will get throttled for specs/performance in reviews, but each reviewer will beg for 3-5 features of the EOS R to be put into the next Nikon Z or Sony A7.

- A

Exactly. I'd say that the Sony A7R3 is the perfect camera for me, except that it is uncomfortable without a grip, the VF blac'kout is pretty annoying, and the AF speed is worse than a $500, five year old DSLR in a lot of cases, I'm not really crazy about the OOC skintones, and changing exposure modes is inexplicably laggy. I think this will be "another Canon" in the grand scheme of things. Like a Lexus, there's just a lot to love that doesn't make headlines or spec sheets, but makes it very usable package and something you really miss when you use an alternative. As opposed to a Chrysler -- princely on paper, but just falls short when you own one.

Anyways, on specs... if you can't take photos you're happy with using a 5D4 class of camera, the problem is most definitely behind the viewfinder.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
And for some reason, no one got bent out of shape that the sensor was somewhat recycled from the A7R2 like some are now with the 5D4 sensor being 'old' to some. :unsure:

- A

heh, yeah :D At the end of the day, I think it's just the spec warriors, who liked the A7R2 sensor anyways (40+ megapixel with more DR than competitors), and who have always disliked Canon sensors, which make you choose between 5D4 and 5DSR, neither of which has as much DR as A7R2. There are also obsessed with scoring, and the subjective qualities that make Canon cameras a joy to use (or that make some competitors sometimes painful to use) don't score as well as blah blah blah stops of DR and blah blah blah micropixels of sharpness.

Way to quote it, btw, cutting out, "except... " LOL. Any camera is perfect for me, except for the things that make them not... :D

Upvote 0
Jared is a bit of a goof but it seems to be working for him. He got comped a trip to Hawaii to photograph swimsuit models with the new R. If I want to demo the R and EF-R lenses I have to spend three hours driving myself out to Long Island in a hurricane on Friday. I'd wear that fro for a comped trip to Hawaii. No way I'm doing the Long Island trip.

The Hawaii perk may have colored his review a bit but it was easily the most comprehensive I've seen. If you watch the entire review its full of lots of information I haven't seen discussed anywhere else. I'm not ready to buy one but the R seems to be a better camera than I would have expected a month or two ago.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378875

This is a key point -- when the number of AF points explodes like this, discrete joystick moves (e.g. left left left left up up) become quite inefficient. This is an area where Canon has to either have a very dumbed down AF grid for course joystick changes vs. the fidelity/sensitivity/speed the drag AF allows. An analogy to using joysticks vs. mice in PC gaming when FPS games got popular 20-25 years ago immediately comes to mind here.

But I fully appreciate that some folks need something that works with gloves, works underwater, etc. so yes, I hold out that Canon might put a thumbwheel and joystick 2.0 (hopefully one with some sensitivity to it) in a bigger/higher end 5-series FF mirrorless someday.

- A

I think it should be possible to design a joystick with some sort of spring loading so that you push against the spring a little bit to move the AF point slowly and move it more to move it more quickly ... With a little practice it should be possible to reach any point fairly quickly ... Just a thought

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I think it should be possible to design a joystick with some sort of spring loading so that you push against the spring a little bit to move the AF point slowly and move it more to move it more quickly ... With a little practice it should be possible to reach any point fairly quickly ... Just a thought

Dialing in sensitivity for that is tantamount to dialing in a very tiny analog joystick, or making a spherical shower faucet (hot/cold and pressure on one hemispherical interface) with a very very tiny stem coming off of it to make fine adjustments.

Doable? Yes.

Doable to a sensitivity level we all want? Yes (with tuning of sensitivity settings in the menu, I suppose).

Ideal for this new unprecedented level of AF fidelity? Debatable.

I love my 5D3 joystick, but it simply has less to do and feel/speed can be much more coarse and simple. I think the EOS R's plurality of AF points needs to be greatly simplified to make a simple joystick D-Pad work efficiently, or we're in an age when pointing tech needs to fundamentally improve. Drag AF would appear to be the right move here.

- A

Upvote 0
And for some reason, no one got bent out of shape that the sensor was somewhat recycled from the A7R2 like some are now with the 5D4 sensor being 'old' to some. :unsure:

- A

Thing is, the A7RIII's sensor is quite different from the A7RII.

In a short development time Sony has managed to slash the readout speed by half, while improving DR. That's remarkable.

It now reads for 14bits in the same amount of time it took the A7RII's sensor to read for 12bits, and it's twice faster in 12bits.

Upvote 0
In fairness, although it doesn't seem like Canon has made much progress with readout speeds, the R does LOG 4K UHD 4:2:2 10-bit over HDMI as well as internal log 4K ALL-I 8 bit. My 1DX mark II can't do either. I'm guessing those are much more computationally intensive than MJPEG. Canon being Canon we weren't going to get full width 60p 4K and a modern codec in one move. Personally I'd still prefer the higher frame rates but for tripod work without a lot of quick pans the video quality should be really nice.

Upvote 0