So far so good, the Canon EOS R pleasantly surprised Jared

This is the perfect camera for my use.

I really start liking the eos R camera, it's exactly what I need. Who cares about video? 4k? What are they complaining? Get a RED or something. I like to take pictures. And this camera is at least as good as 5dmk4 for a better price. So happy not to have updated to mark4. Maybe the pro R is even better? Who knows?

I think canon put it right, ESPECIALLY with the lense system. The 28-70 f2 will be my favourite :love:
It's a heavy punch in the womb for all the sony switchers: only 2mm flange distance left to build an adapter for their A whatever cameras.:p Obviously they want to use the RF lenses, because they always need the best, so I'm quite amused.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Not surprised those digs have surfaced.

But they largely shelled EOS R on day one based on what it didn't have, but most who used it seemed to really like what it did have that typically doesn't top the spec lists:
  • Peppy VF and AF performance
  • No (or far less than expected?) VF blackout
  • Thoughtful ergonomics and a grip that does not ruin your hand
  • Two far sexier than anticipated lenses for such a product's first offering
  • Clever control ring functionality
  • Adapters with useful stuff in there: filters, control rings for EF lenses, etc.
  • A very nice shutter close during lens changeout
In short, you hate the specs until you realize so many other things are really solid in this camera. Call me crazy, Canon will get throttled for specs/performance in reviews, but each reviewer will beg for 3-5 features of the EOS R to be put into the next Nikon Z or Sony A7.

- A
Let's not forget f/11 focusing! Using a 2x tele on a 100-400 II with AF seems like a pretty beneficial option to me, despite the potential IQ loss.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Let's not forget f/11 focusing! Using a 2x tele on a 100-400 II with AF seems like a pretty beneficial option to me, despite the potential IQ loss.

Yeah, then there are the cool things they might do someday that EF likely never could.

For instance, an RF 150-600 f/5.6-8 IS STM could now happen. That would only require a 75mm (more likely 77mm) front element, be delightfully packable in a more standard camera bag and possibly come in around $1000.

- A

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2017
Not "hate" for this clown, but sadness that this sort of immature high-school-style celebrity has become an "opinion maker" for imaging. Lack of praise, or even interest, towards someone is not "hate".

And then, following the devalued use of of the word, who gives a sh*t whether he "hates" the camera or not? What does that have to do with anything? Dude, do a useful job of helping those of us who haven't used it form an opinion, based on your informed experience. Leave the silly personality show outside the door.

Personal aversion is one thing, pimp the video a bit for entertainment another. If you don‘t like his style (in some videos he exaggerates in my opinion, too) there are plenty other reviewers out there :). Of you want pure seriousness, watch Kai... :LOL:
But I huess I just stated the obvious we already knew..., just my two cents.
I liked the video for illustration purposes.

Upvote 0

FTb-n

Canonet QL17 GIII
Sep 22, 2012
St. Paul, MN
The EOS R is getting slammed for having only one card slot and Canon's response is that it isn't a "pro" camera. Some reviewers rate it somewhere between the 6D and 5D4. The price puts it between the 6D and 5D4 as well. It lacks IBIS, but has over 5,000 focus points -- OVER 5,000! Eye focus is "almost" as good as Sony's A9. And Canon releases a bunch of new, seemingly incredible, RF lenses. But, there must be a pro mirrorless in the works.

So what does Canon's the "pro" mirrorless body look like?

Is there an 5R and/or 1Rx in the works? Does this signal an end to the 5D and 1Dx line? I wonder how sales of the 5D4 and 1Dx will affect the announcement of the pro R body. If the next R body exceeds the features and performance of either of these "pro" DSLRs, it will surely put a dent in their sales. Will there be two "pro R" bodies or just one? Canon likes to plan the next flagship body just in time for the Olympics, so will the 1Rx be debuted in time for the 2020 Summer games?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dialing in sensitivity for that is tantamount to dialing in a very tiny analog joystick, or making a spherical shower faucet (hot/cold and pressure on one hemispherical interface) with a very very tiny stem coming off of it to make fine adjustments.

Doable? Yes.

Doable to a sensitivity level we all want? Yes (with tuning of sensitivity settings in the menu, I suppose).

Ideal for this new unprecedented level of AF fidelity? Debatable.

I love my 5D3 joystick, but it simply has less to do and feel/speed can be much more coarse and simple. I think the EOS R's plurality of AF points needs to be greatly simplified to make a simple joystick D-Pad work efficiently, or we're in an age when pointing tech needs to fundamentally improve. Drag AF would appear to be the right move here.

- A

I loved my 5d4s' joysticks very much. Then I experimented for a few months with an M5 I bought. Didn't like the lag of that camera, but I love, love, loved the use of the screen for focus point selection. That was more than a year ago, and to this day, whenever I'm doinking around with those joysticks (constantly), I think of that little M5.

Can't wait for a fast FPS version of the R, then I'm in too.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

kaptainkatsu

1DX Mark II
Sep 29, 2015
The EOS R is getting slammed for having only one card slot and Canon's response is that it isn't a "pro" camera. Some reviewers rate it somewhere between the 6D and 5D4. The price puts it between the 6D and 5D4 as well. It lacks IBIS, but has over 5,000 focus points -- OVER 5,000! Eye focus is "almost" as good as Sony's A9. And Canon releases a bunch of new, seemingly incredible, RF lenses. But, there must be a pro mirrorless in the works.

So what does Canon's the "pro" mirrorless body look like?

Is there an 5R and/or 1Rx in the works? Does this signal an end to the 5D and 1Dx line? I wonder how sales of the 5D4 and 1Dx will affect the announcement of the pro R body. If the next R body exceeds the features and performance of either of these "pro" DSLRs, it will surely put a dent in their sales. Will there be two "pro R" bodies or just one? Canon likes to plan the next flagship body just in time for the Olympics, so will the 1Rx be debuted in time for the 2020 Summer games?
I doubt there will be a 1R for at least a few years. I could possibly see the 5DV become a 5R but I’ve got my money that there will be a mirrored 1DX3 in 2020. I’ve got a 1DX2 and went paired with a 70-200 2.8 or other big whites, It has very good balance and feel. Don’t think canon would want to upset pro sports photographers. I could see a 1R come out a few years later as an alternative but I would bet they would want to mature the native lens lineup before retiring the tried and true full size 1D mirror body.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Eye focus is "almost" as good as Sony's A9.

lol. half-assed implementation in EOS R: limited to "one-Shot AF".

it remains to be seen whether or not Canon is able and willing to get it working in Servo-AF with a firmware update. and how well it will work and by when.

lots of IFs. nowhere near Sony A9 or A7 III yet. eye tracking in continuos AF at 10fps vs. EOS R trying to do any sort of subject tracking at 3 fps.

EOS R is a start, but not more.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Don’t think canon would want to upset pro sports photographers

why would a fully capable mirrorfree sports camera "upset" sports photographers??

even or especially if it were launched today?

even or especially if it were superior to the best "legacy" mirrorslappers?

weird thinking. but possibly it really does reflect backwards-oriented octogenarian Canon board room's thinking.

luckily Sony, Fuji and - hopefully - Panasonic are different.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
For instance, an RF 150-600 f/5.6-8 IS STM could now happen. That would only require a 75mm (more likely 77mm) front element, be delightfully packable in a more standard camera bag and possibly come in around $1000.

oh my. not interested in 600 f/8 glass. will prefer 100-400 II ... plus 1.4x TC ... but only when absolutely needed.

the world is not such a bright place. :)

also: Canon will never sell a 600mm FF lens for a grand. even if it were only f/22. :p

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
FYI it looks like Fro (and others) are getting subtly accused of going easy on the Canon EOS R because Canon flew a lot of youtube reviewers out to Hawaii to test the body. Fro had a podcast on it last night I think addressing the suggestion. The argument has been "maybe if Nikon put out more for the reviewers they wouldn't of been so hard on the Z7 and Z6".

God forbid someone say something nice about a Canon camera. If you want to have some fun, search EOS R on youtube and count how many icons have someone doing a facepalm in it. The frothing hype around new mirrorless cameras is getting a bit silly. Well, "getting" may be a bit of an overstatement.
In all honesty, I do wonder about the level of impartiality a reviewer that has been treated at Canon's expense can have. Personally, I found his video pretty fair and honest. But I have no problem with the people who lay into Canon, hands-on experience or not, for not including certain things that have at this point (and pricepoint) become an industry standard. I'm more inclined to think someone is in Canon's pocket if they offer effusive praise without any (or obviously softened) criticism. I saw one reviewer saying basically 'you have no right to criticize this camera that you've never touched' and I don't agree with that. That's exactly what spec sheets are for- to give us factual information about the camera in data form. Yes, there are intangibles such as ergonomics and UX that may make us more flexible in what we accept, but they don't necessarily negate or absolve the specs from obvious omissions.

Upvote 0
In all honesty, I do wonder about the level of impartiality a reviewer that has been treated at Canon's expense can have. Personally, I found his video pretty fair and honest. But I have no problem with the people who lay into Canon, hands-on experience or not, for not including certain things that have at this point (and pricepoint) become an industry standard. I'm more inclined to think someone is in Canon's pocket if they offer effusive praise without any (or obviously softened) criticism. I saw one reviewer saying basically 'you have no right to criticize this camera that you've never touched' and I don't agree with that. That's exactly what spec sheets are for- to give us factual information about the camera in data form. Yes, there are intangibles such as ergonomics and UX that may make us more flexible in what we accept, but they don't necessarily negate or absolve the specs from obvious omissions.

Why are you here if your Sony is so good?

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2011
What I would still like to understand is how Canon is dealing with the fact that the shorter flange distance is resulting in the light hitting the sensor from a more oblique angle. Canon's sensors have traditionally not dealt with this very well. I wonder if Canon has improved the way its sensors handle light coming in from an extreme angle, or whether they are just fudging things and "fixing" the issue digitally.

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2017
lol. half-assed implementation in EOS R: limited to "one-Shot AF".

it remains to be seen whether or not Canon is able and willing to get it working in Servo-AF with a firmware update. and how well it will work and by when.

lots of IFs. nowhere near Sony A9 or A7 III yet. eye tracking in continuos AF at 10fps vs. EOS R trying to do any sort of subject tracking at 3 fps.

EOS R is a start, but not more.

Does a Sony has a swivel screen? Does it have Canon Ergonomics or works flawlessly with Canon lenses that are much more affordable and where the best are at least on the same level as Sonys expensive offerings? Does it have Dual pixel AF for video?
Does it have 10 bit 4:2:2 flat profile internal and external recording?
Is it reliable to a point where you would take the camera out and use it in the rain? No, e.g. a point that is still really ridiculous if you asked me. A nice-weather camera or one for indoor events.

People tend to rant about what Canon doesnt have, like that crop in 4K (EF-S 10-18 as a work around at least) and there is a point, the EOS R doesnt have it all, and those who expeted something like that are probably a bit foolish.

But the EOS R is definitely more than just a start...
I expet it to become one of the best selling camera for YTers and also be a best seller or stills, no matter how many card slots. Btw: I am also in the camp of those who think that a 2k+ camera should have 2 card slots. It‘s not a „pro-feature“ but a low-cost feature that saves the day in case of a card fail.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Dialing in sensitivity for that is tantamount to dialing in a very tiny analog joystick, or making a spherical shower faucet (hot/cold and pressure on one hemispherical interface) with a very very tiny stem coming off of it to make fine adjustments.

Doable? Yes.

Doable to a sensitivity level we all want? Yes (with tuning of sensitivity settings in the menu, I suppose).

Ideal for this new unprecedented level of AF fidelity? Debatable.

I love my 5D3 joystick, but it simply has less to do and feel/speed can be much more coarse and simple. I think the EOS R's plurality of AF points needs to be greatly simplified to make a simple joystick D-Pad work efficiently, or we're in an age when pointing tech needs to fundamentally improve. Drag AF would appear to be the right move here.

- A

Call me crazy, but I don't understand the debate. Just Joystick AND touch VF for the best of both worlds. Joystick to give you discrete bumps that should be the size of an AF rectangle (perhaps with a menu option to make that half AF rectangle), and touch VF for adjustable accuracy/acceleration like you would with a notebook touchpad. The 5D3 and 5D4, and to Sony's credit, the A7R3 all have great joysticks. Don't mess with the way the joystick works -- if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Does a Sony has a swivel screen? Does it have Canon Ergonomics or works flawlessly with Canon lenses that are much more affordable and where the best are at least on the same level as Sonys expensive offerings? Does it have Dual pixel AF for video?
Does it have 10 bit 4:2:2 flat profile internal and external recording?
Is it reliable to a point where you would take the camera out and use it in the rain? No, e.g. a point that is still really ridiculous if you asked me. A nice-weather camera or one for indoor events.

People tend to rant about what Canon doesnt have, like that crop in 4K (EF-S 10-18 as a work around at least) and there is a point, the EOS R doesnt have it all, and those who expeted something like that are probably a bit foolish.

But the EOS R is definitely more than just a start...
I expet it to become one of the best selling camera for YTers and also be a best seller or stills, no matter how many card slots. Btw: I am also in the camp of those who think that a 2k+ camera should have 2 card slots. It‘s not a „pro-feature“ but a low-cost feature that saves the day in case of a card fail.

EOS R has a two HUGE things that Sony A7 doesn't: DPAF and a shutter that freaking closes when you take the lens off so that dust doesn't go on the sensor. I'm actually not sure which is a bigger plus, because I had so many times when I actually had to take off the lens on the A7R3 and blow on the sensor when I was out in the middle of nature that it was stupid.

Puting aside minor irritating things that really impact my enjoyability, the tech features race becomes DPAF vs IBIS. There's no camera where you can have booth, so you gotta pick. To me, AF that "just works" is more important, especially since I don't shoot video, most of my lenses where I need IS have ILIS, and IBIS or not, it's not like I can shoot much slower than 1/2000 when shooting BIF anyways.

In my opinion, incidentally, I think that Canon will implement IBIS before Sony/Nikon get AF that's competitive with DPAF.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
The rear LCD is the joystick replacement. It’s faster and easier to select AF points through the viewfinder. Stop complaining about the joystick ommision. It’s there. If you have a thumb, you can easily and quickly change the AF point.

Thank you, Mr. Teacher. You mean this new tiny touchscreen, right? I speak about using the EVF, not working with the big LCD screen, which seems to show an annoying lag, according to DPR. Hope this replacement will come close to the joystick's performance (if you are correct). Well, I gonna test an R anyway before I buy one.

Upvote 0
EOS R has a two HUGE things that Sony A7 doesn't: DPAF and a shutter that freaking closes when you take the lens off so that dust doesn't go on the sensor. I'm actually not sure which is a bigger plus, because I had so many times when I actually had to take off the lens on the A7R3 and blow on the sensor when I was out in the middle of nature that it was stupid.

I always thought it was impossible to keep the shutter closed hardware wise while changing lenses, but Canon confirms it is indeed possible.
It's a huge thing as I would never dare to change lenses on the Sony during a shoot for this reason.

Upvote 0