So far so good, the Canon EOS R pleasantly surprised Jared

My understanding is that the BestBuy sales guys do not work on commission. But, of course they do want their store to have good sales so as to not go out of business. Personally, I trust some of the reviewers and you get to know their biases after reading them over a long period of time.

I have known BestBuy sales guys.

The store they worked at did not do commission. However, they had a quota.

Once they met their sales quota for the day they got to go home.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
What I would still like to understand is how Canon is dealing with the fact that the shorter flange distance is resulting in the light hitting the sensor from a more oblique angle. Canon's sensors have traditionally not dealt with this very well. I wonder if Canon has improved the way its sensors handle light coming in from an extreme angle, or whether they are just fudging things and "fixing" the issue digitally.

Even though the flange distance is shorter, they have kept the wide diameter mount which allows the new RF lenses to have wider rear elements. By making the rear lens element wider, it will reduce the angle of the light hitting the outermost edges of the sensor. Nikon is using a wide mount as well. Sony is not, which is why they have to make most of their lenses longer - keeping the rear lens element farther away to reduce the angle.

How well will it work? I guess we will find out. All this is explained in one the Rudy Winston videos that Canon released on YouTube.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

kaptainkatsu

1DX Mark II
Sep 29, 2015
I love my 1Dx2 with the 70-200 2.8 II and with the 100-400 II. Low light performance, focus tracking under extreme conditions, and FPS bursts are key features of the 1Dx2 for my sports work. The new R lays the groundwork for more advancements in these areas, especially with over 5,000 focus points and eye focus.

I know, I've been slammed for suggesting that the R's eye focus is almost as good as Sony's because Canon's version doesn't offer it in servo -- yet. I'm given Canon the benefit of the doubt. Software and CPU development have been a strength of Canon and I have no doubt that firmware updates will improve upon the R's eye focus function and I also expect the future "pro" R to take this a step further.

I've been a hold out from mirrorless and saw no reason to consider it, largely because the 1Dx and 1Dx2 have met my needs well and Canon has the glass. But, if the new R is a non-Pro body, I see great potential for the Pro R version. Sports is where Canon hangs its hat and if Canon is working on a flagship mirrorless body, it will be a sports body. The 2020 Games will be a great opportunity for Canon to make a lot of noise in the industry with 1Rx.

I also wonder if the potential of dual pixel to tweak focus after the fact will be further developed with future sensors and software.

While I'm on the limb, might I suggest that the EOS R announcement, with its several lenses, will hurt the future Sony. I give Sony 5-10 years of relevance. Sony has been alone with its mirrorless bodies, but they failed to demonstrate a long term commitment to the glass. The "system" has been Canon's strength. They introduced the F1 surrounded by lots of FD glass, they introduced the EOS as a system with EF lenses, and now we have the EOS R -- which is "backed" by the current EF lineup thanks to the adapters.

Sony has a history of exploring technology leading products, then switching gears. They introduced the Walkman, but didn't stick with it long enough and let Apple run away with the pocket audio market with their iPod. Sony woke up two sleeping photo giants, but without a serious commitment to glass (and flash), Sony has just been dabbling in the photo stills business. Now that Canon and Nikon have made their commitments to mirrorless systems known, I expect Sony to switching gears is the near future -- maybe back to video.

I can see several scenarios for the 1R and 1DX3:
A: Release the 1R in 2019, release the 1DX3 in 2020
B: Release 1DX3 and 1R simultaneously for the 2020 olympics.
C: Release the 1DX3 in 2020, 1R late 2020 or later.

What I can bet on for sure is there will be a 1DX3 in 2020. B and C is more likely than A as it will give Canon more time to refine the R technologies to meet the demands of Pro sports photographers. The A9 didn't come out until after the Mark 2 A7 line was released.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I have known BestBuy sales guys.

The store they worked at did not do commission. However, they had a quota.

Once they met their sales quota for the day they got to go home.

I bought my 6D2 and later the 16-35mm f/4 from the same salesman at Best Buy. He was very knowledgeable and helpful. When I was looking at the lens, he didn't act like someone with a quota or on commission. The other salesmen seem helpful enough, too. One recently told me that none of their tripods would be better for me than what I already had. He suggested that rather than buying a heavier tripod for use with the 100-400mm, I just screw some weight on the bottom of the pole, and showed me where the screw for that is. I already had got a better head, as recommended on another thread here.

My camera salesman has cut back on his hours because his photography business is supporting him. When he's in, the other guys steer people to him if they are looking at Canon gear. He shoots the original 6D. When I was back some months later to look at lenses, he wanted to know how happy I was with the 6D2. I guess he had read and watched some of the negative stuff on the web.

Their store seems better equipped with camera gear than other Best Buys I've been in. With the demise of camera stores, they probably don't have any competition within 12 miles. They have what looks to me like a pretty good selection of Canon, Sony, and Nikon DSLRs and mirrorless as well as lenses.

Upvote 0

lenspacker

Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM
Sep 7, 2018
ok, I´ve seen the specs of the Canon R and from the first moment I knew, that this thing isn`t mine. Only 5 fps, this is old speed (like my grandpa runs the 100m....), only one slot, no joystick .... I`ll wait for a pro-model - - perhaps they will release it in 2019 - the problem is, that there are no alternatives.....nikon shows the same, Fuji has only APS-C, Panasonic - I don`t know und the sony bodies have such a great lack of ergonomics, that I can`t handle them with big lenses - - - so the consequence is: waiting for a pro model of canon R and until this day I`ll shoot further more with my 1dx - so I `m not in a hurry to buy this mickey-mouse-model ....

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Thank goodness you aren't designing cameras! Good luck moving between 5000+ AF points with a joystick. This has already been mentioned 100+ times here, and in every EOS R youtube review video.. you select AF points by dragging your thumb on the rear LCD screen. Not the touch-bar. while looking through the viewfinder. while looking through the viewfinder. while looking through the viewfinder. There is no lag. It's a very similar screen to the 5DIV.

Hey Mr Angus, relax, this is only about photography here. Watch your mental and physical health, it's not worth to ruin yourself with rising blood pressure just because of postings in such threads. Go out and catch some nice images instead.

Btw I highly recommend to use vintage film cameras frequently, alternating with digital cameras, as I do. No AF, no touch bars, no menus, it is just about your real skills as a photographer. If you pull bad images out of the fixer bath, you can't accuse the technology for failing.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Hey Mr Angus, relax, this is only about photography here. Watch your mental and physical health, it's not worth to ruin yourself with rising blood pressure just because of postings in such threads. Go out and catch some nice images instead.

Btw I highly recommend to use vintage film cameras frequently, alternating with digital cameras, as I do. No AF, no touch bars, no menus, it is just about your real skills as a photographer. If you pull bad images out of the fixer bath, you can't accuse the technology for failing.

1. If you don't care for camera development, why are you reading about the latest Canon digital release? That strikes me as being odd.
2. My blood pressure is healthily low.
3. I can only put up with people complaining that a feature has been removed, when it has been improved by something better (that they don't recognize and are thus scared of), so many times.
3. I have spent many, many years shooting and developing film (who hasn't? Everyone shoots film). It is fun, however this forum is dedicated to the latest digital releases from Canon. Refer to point number 1.
4. I am not doubting that you are an excellent, world-leading photographer who captures shots others simply cannot, due to your enhanced ability and prowess. However, all of us below your skill level depend upon using reliable modern equipment to make a living. That includes depending on modern AF systems, and thus modern AF point selection methods.

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
weird thinking. but possibly it really does reflect backwards-oriented octogenarian Canon board room's thinking.

luckily Sony, Fuji and - hopefully - Panasonic are different.

I actually agree with some of what you said. IF a 1Rx were fully as capable as a dslr 1dx3.

But as for your casual dismissal of those ‘octogenarians’, you’ve completely missed the brilliance of their strategy. It’s always been about the lenses. Those switching to Sony rave that they can still use their amazing canon glass. And here canon has released a new format with some of the most astounding lenses in production - *that can’t be adapted to another manufacturers mount.*

And executed perfectly with 4 stunning lenses on launch, and a camera that will, as always, be a joy to use.

Canon just dropped the mic.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
i fully agree and gave stated many times that R mount is "really well chosen".

re those 4 RF lenses ... weirdo starting lineup.
* kit lens not really better and not much smaller than EF counterpart but much more expensive. for what?
* 50/1.2 and 28-70/2.0 - extreme "minority program pickle jars.
* a really compact, excellent IQ 24-70/4 with IS. would have been much more suitable for the mirrorfree 6D III body.
* 35mm "pseudo macro" - not very interesting either.
* a really good, compact and affordable 50/1.4 IS would have sold a lot better.

so no, Canon did not drop the mic. underspecced body, strange lens lineup. but really right lens mount. so at least there's hope for the future. :)

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010

re those 4 RF lenses ... weirdo starting lineup. kit lens not really better and not much smaller than EF counterpart. 50/1.2 and 28-70/2.0 - extreme "minority program". a really compact, excellent IQ 24-70/4 with IS. would have been much more suitable for the mirrorfree 6D III body. 35mm "pseudo macro" - not interested either. a really good, compact and affordable 50/1.4 IS would likely have sold a lot better.
Check out the Canon Burbank event on YouTube, they explain why those four lenses, one for each type of photographer, it makes perfect sense to me at least. And I’m MUCH more interested in a ridiculously fabulous 50 f1.2 than a nice 50 f1.4 IS, in fact, that 50 is why I’m switching from DSLR and EF:cool:

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017

re those 4 RF lenses ... weirdo starting lineup.
* kit lens not really better and not much smaller than EF counterpart but much more expensive. for what?
* 50/1.2 and 28-70/2.0 - extreme "minority program pickle jars.
* a really compact, excellent IQ 24-70/4 with IS. would have been much more suitable for the mirrorfree 6D III body.
* 35mm "pseudo macro" - not very interesting either.
* a really good, compact and affordable 50/1.4 IS would have sold a lot better.

so no, Canon did not drop the mic. underspecced body, strange lens lineup. but really right lens mount. so at least there's hope for the future. :)

I agree that the first 4 RF lenses don't give much of a clue about where Canon will go with small, relatively inexpensive, lenses in the new RF space. Canon pioneered the 24-105 f4 design back in the 5DII days, IIRC, and they seem to think the 24-105 is the killer zoom in the enthusiast market, even although it has always been on the hefty side. A 35mm, whether macro or not, is pretty basic in building a clutch of small primes, but how many people are going to put money into building a clutch of small RF primes? So, something like a small 24-70 would seem to be a key piece of the puzzle, maybe in the context of a smaller RF mount body. In fact, I am hard put to come up with another lens design that would approach it in significance in that part of the RF space.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I agree that the first 4 RF lenses don't give much of a clue about where Canon will go with small, relatively inexpensive, lenses in the new RF space. Canon pioneered the 24-105 f4 design back in the 5DII days, IIRC, and they seem to think the 24-105 is the killer zoom in the enthusiast market, even although it has always been on the hefty side. A 35mm, whether macro or not, is pretty basic in building a clutch of small primes, but how many people are going to put money into building a clutch of small RF primes? So, something like a small 24-70 would seem to be a key piece of the puzzle, maybe in the context of a smaller RF mount body. In fact, I am hard put to come up with another lens design that would approach it in significance in that part of the RF space.
Canon have already stated that the did not go mirrorless to go small at all. They did it because the new mount gives the lens designers a whole new level to work on. So I’m thinking 135 f1.8, 200 f1.8, 100 f2.0 1:1 , 11 f2.8 etc with EPIC image quality...

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Canon have already stated that the did not go mirrorless to go small at all. They did it because the new mount gives the lens designers a whole new level to work on. So I’m thinking 135 f1.8, 200 f1.8, 100 f2.0 1:1 , 11 f2.8 etc with EPIC image quality...

No, they said they didn't go FF mirrorless to go small, they did go APS-C/M series mirrorless for the smaller size.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0