So sayeth DXO: "The a7R II poops on the 5DS"

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
You've got to love DXO's Fox News-ness about their shtick. Amazing.

Number of Canon lenses retested on the 5DS? Zero. They wouldn't want the world's 1,064th best lens -- the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II -- suddenly becoming the world's 20th best lens all of sudden.

(Because their lens rating system is dominated by how many pixels are looking at it. You know. That.)

They could not re-test a *single* lens before they got their a7R II review completed. One might expect they'd now withhold all Canon lens retesting until they have the Sony lenses retested as well. Classic DXO.

- A

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Re: Sony A7R II scores 98, new king of DxO Mark (by a nose)

DXO does not rate a camera, just the sensor. A camera can have all kinds of issues and problems, and might be totally unsuitable for most photographers, but they will rate it high if they like the sensor.

As long as a person understands that and evaluates the rest of the camera, you can build the total picture.

Upvote 0

Mt Spokane Photography said:
DXO does not rate a camera, just the sensor. A camera can have all kinds of issues and problems, and might be totally unsuitable for most photographers, but they will rate it high if they like the sensor.

As long as a person understands that and evaluates the rest of the camera, you can build the total picture.

Definitely! This score doesn't even take into account the in-body image stabilization, class-leading 4k video, or solid AF with Canon glass.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012

LOALTD said:

Definitely! This score doesn't even take into account the in-body image stabilization, class-leading 4k video, or solid AF with Canon glass.

If I ranked it based on AF with canon glass it would negatively affect the score. That's not fair, though. AF should only be based on native glass, which is quite good (and ignored by DXO).

When they redesigned the site they started calling them "camera" scores, but yes they are still based on sensor measurement and don't represent cameras in any reasonable way.

DXO is neat, but I don't really care. It could have scored 2 or 200, I'd still keep mine.

Upvote 0

Looking at the signal to noise ratio/dynamic range/color tonality/etc... Throughout the ISO range in both screen and print, it really is a significant leap ahead of the d810 and 5dsr.
Props to Sony for a hell of a sensor design. Unfortunately for Sony, dxo only gives it a point more than the d810 when it should be heaps higher because it does so much better at higher ISO's

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:

Number of Canon lenses retested on the 5DS? Zero. They wouldn't want the world's 1,064th best lens -- the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II -- suddenly becoming the world's 20th best lens all of sudden.

(Because their lens rating system is dominated by how many pixels are looking at it. You know. That.)

They could not re-test a *single* lens before they got their a7R II review completed. One might expect they'd now withhold all Canon lens retesting until they have the Sony lenses retested as well. Classic DXO.

- A

Actually I doubt will see many if any 5ds lens ratings before the nikon d850? D900? Whatever nikon inherits the new Sony sensor gets rated.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
ahsanford said:
Well, that just happened...

I don't get it.

[quote author=http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Sony-A7R-II-sensor-review-New-high-water-mark-in-sensor-dynamics/The-new-leader-in-the-DxOMark-database]With an overall DxOMark score of 98 points, the Sony A7R II achieves the highest marks for performance of any sensor that we’ve seen to date[/quote]

[quote author=http://petapixel.com/2015/08/28/dxomark-the-sony-a7r-ii-has-the-best-sensor-weve-ever-seen/]It looks like the hype surrounding the new Sony a7R II is justified… at least when it comes to sensor quality. DxOMark tested backside-illuminated full-frame sensor in the camera — a world’s first — and the sensor received the highest overall quality score ever awarded by the testing lab.[/quote]

Are we supposed to pretend the Red Epic Dragon didn't score 101? Are they disavowing it because it was a prototype?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
3kramd5 said:
ahsanford said:

I don't get it.

[quote author=http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Sony-A7R-II-sensor-review-New-high-water-mark-in-sensor-dynamics/The-new-leader-in-the-DxOMark-database]With an overall DxOMark score of 98 points, the Sony A7R II achieves the highest marks for performance of any sensor that we’ve seen to date

[quote author=http://petapixel.com/2015/08/28/dxomark-the-sony-a7r-ii-has-the-best-sensor-weve-ever-seen/]It looks like the hype surrounding the new Sony a7R II is justified… at least when it comes to sensor quality. DxOMark tested backside-illuminated full-frame sensor in the camera — a world’s first — and the sensor received the highest overall quality score ever awarded by the testing lab.[/quote]

Are we supposed to pretend the Red Epic Dragon didn't score 101? Are they disavowing it because it was a prototype?
[/quote]

Just wait until the DXO Two comes out, or maybe they will call it the DXO One MkII, anyway in its SuperDuper RAW mode it will beat the pants off the Sony just like the One does to the 5D MkIII now ::)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Mitch.Conner said:
While I don't really know what to think of dxo, and I don't want to get into a debate about them, is anyone really questioning that the a7rii has an amazing sensor?

No, I doubt it. But lets keep it in perspective, even if you embrace the DXO scores it is 1 point 'better' than the Nikon D810, DXO says 5 points equates to 1/3 stop of sensitivity, so this new amazing sensor is 1/15 stop better than we already have.

We are not game changing here, there is a very modest improvement over the MkI, 3 DXO points, or 1/5 stop, and a 16% increase in MP, or 12% more linear resolution.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
privatebydesign said:
3kramd5 said:
ahsanford said:

I don't get it.

[quote author=http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Sony-A7R-II-sensor-review-New-high-water-mark-in-sensor-dynamics/The-new-leader-in-the-DxOMark-database]With an overall DxOMark score of 98 points, the Sony A7R II achieves the highest marks for performance of any sensor that we’ve seen to date

[quote author=http://petapixel.com/2015/08/28/dxomark-the-sony-a7r-ii-has-the-best-sensor-weve-ever-seen/]It looks like the hype surrounding the new Sony a7R II is justified… at least when it comes to sensor quality. DxOMark tested backside-illuminated full-frame sensor in the camera — a world’s first — and the sensor received the highest overall quality score ever awarded by the testing lab.

[/quote]

Just wait until the DXO Two comes out, or maybe they will call it the DXO One MkII, anyway in its SuperDuper RAW mode it will beat the pants off the Sony just like the One does to the 5D MkIII now ::)
[/quote]

Oh god please let them call it the DXO One Two. Each new model can add a sequential numeral spelled out, and an additional blended exposure. Then in a few generations they can pull a Microsoft and jump to DXO One Ten.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
ahsanford said:

- A

+ 1

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012

dilbert said:
bmwzimmer said:
Looking at the signal to noise ratio/dynamic range/color tonality/etc... Throughout the ISO range in both screen and print, it really is a significant leap ahead of the d810 and 5dsr.
Props to Sony for a hell of a sensor design. Unfortunately for Sony, dxo only gives it a point more than the d810 when it should be heaps higher because it does so much better at higher ISO's

I wonder how much the lossy compression hurts the camera score here...

Probably not much. See D800 compared with A7R.

Upvote 0