SOFT BOXES - BRACKETS - STANDS - MUST BUY! (say it 3 times)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Budget is small probably 1200$ but ever dollar has to count so no 300$ stands only i know the will LAST but the effectors are the priority.

in theory id like 2 smaller girded soft boxes on booms and one LARGE umbrella and a octabox.

has to be speed light friendly as it seems it mostly studio light friendly so maybe that's a limitation.

and is why i asked my question here amongst experienced people.

thanks again!

Upvote 0
FTb-n said:
I have several Photoflex umbrellas and highly recommend them. Top quality and affordable. I recently started using the 60" White Convertible (RUT60) without the black backing as a shoot-through. It's very soft. I used to think 60" was too big, not I wish I had started with this umbrella.

For radio triggers, I like the CowboyStudio NPT-04. For $23 on Amazon, they're cheap and reliable.

Photoflex makes a good multi-bracket (AC-BSWCP). SP Studio and Impact have near identical version that are cheaper and of similar quality.

A nifty adapter for using up to three flash units on that 60" umbrella is the Interfit Tri Shoe Adapter.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/742155-REG/Interfit_STR141_Tri_Shoe_Adapter.html

Lastly, the Yongnuo YN-460-ii is a great manual, off-camera flash for about $45.

I prefer these for mounting 3 speedlights on 1 umbrella as it spreads them out better
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-1-Flash-Light-Speedlight-Hot-Shoe-Adapter-Umbrella-Holder-Bracket-/120971647675?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1c2a78dabb

they are metal too

Upvote 0
S

symmar22

CharlieB said:
I've gotten Photflex and Chimera softboxes.... I wont ever get another Photoflex though. They use a PVC interior coating that deteriorates. My very old Chimera banks are still going strong.... Photoflex... has yellowed a bit, so I restrict them to monochrome use.

+1 on the chimera softbox, not cheap but it will outlast almost anything else; studio stands, Manfrotto is IMO the best value, works well and relatively cheap, Matthews is very nice as well and better finished, but IMO a bit expensive (at least here in Europe).

Don't forget that in the lighting accessories department, you can built on your own a lot of things with cheap materials, styrofoam, white nylon fabrics, aluminium foil are your best friends.... Though a good softbox an important minimum equipment.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.