Some Canon EOS 6D Mark II Talk [CR2]

Jul 28, 2015
dak723 said:
I have to wonder if all this Canon vs. Nikon FF comparison is actually meaningful. I know from personal experience that when I was ready to get a FF camera, I was upgrading from a lower end Canon. Since I was used to the Canon ergonomics, and had a Canon EF mount lens (although I only had 1, it was still a consideration. My guess that it is a bigger consideration for most), Nikon was not even a consideration. My choices were which Canon FF should I get. I don't know, but am guessing, that most FF camera purchasers are either upgrading from a particular brand or are already FF users and heavily invested in a particular brand/system. If this is true, then there is no real competition between these various camera models at all as FF camera buyers are not likely to switch brands.

I know someone who probably has a little store of LSD and mega-strength caffeine tablets - I think that should help counter your current state of rationality.

Upvote 0

Dec 18, 2014
ahsanford said:
K said:
rrcphoto said:
K said:

except that's the on sale price of a model soon to be replaced. the D750 was 2300 at launch

Ok, rant over.

You do realize that Nikon has a three price points where Canon has two, correct?

Entry: D610 vs. 6D
Mid: D750 vs... [crickets] (no, a marked down 5D3 does not count here)
Pro: D810 vs. 5D4

So the 6D2's immediate competition will be the D620 or whatever they call it, not the D750. The D750 is a unique (and I argue clever) hybrid of entry and pro, much like how the 80D sits between Rebels and the 7D2.

I personally think DPAF + tilty-flippy + on-chip ADC sensor + better OVF-based AF (not stellar, just better) = a sensibly improved product that will sell well. Those are four nontrivial upgrades, even if they nerf the total number of AF points, butter, fps, etc.

That said, if Canon asks for D750-launch sort of price with a meager D620 feature set, good luck to them. If they were so foolish to do that, I'd just six months and I'm sure the price will be where you want it by then.

I think that Nikon will drop one level and the future head to heads will be:

6D2 vs D760
5D4 vs D820
1DX2 vs D5

I also think that the 5Dsr will be replaced by something like a 1DXs and that the D6 if it remains on the map will have to fight it out with the 80D or possibly the 7D3! :))

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Let me put it out there. I don't agree with Ahsanford view of the 6D / 6DMKII.

a. The Canon 6D aside from the sensor and 2AF points was essentially technology from the 5D MKII with wif-fi & gps thrown in. The cost to Canon was not a ground up fully fledged price and they had wriggle room which saw the price come down to attract people into FF and more expensive glass.

b. The 6D MKII could be introduced at a higher price point, in the UK the 6D sells for £ 1,449 body only, the 5DS £ 2,799, the 5DSr £ 2,999 and the 5 D MKIV 3,499. Gaps of £ 1,450 (double), £ 1,650 and £ 2,050.

The 6D is part metal body with weather sealing similar to the 80D, I do not see that changing and maybe getting better. With the specs. I outlined earlier Canon can keep the product differentiation from the 5D MKIV, improve the camera over the current 6D and leave room for a "rebel style" entry level FF camera and have a line that mirrors the 7D MKII, 80D and 77D in the 5DIV, 6D MKII & the 8D (Rebel entry level). The 1D series really is in a level of its own and not directly comparable.

The Canon CEO talked about more variation but longer replacement cycles this would fit with that. Equally Canon puts the current 6D in the middle of its range of cameras not at the bottom as entry level so this still fits that criteria.

Upvote 0