Some help needed - 1dx mkII or 5dMkIV

GuyF said:
arthurbikemad said:
My 1DX2 had to go back :( and now I am missing it...

What happened? I also returned my original one but got it replaced (http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=30115.0). The replacement almost has the opposite issue where "non-selected" focus points are barely illuminated. No idea what should level of illumination is "within spec" - faintly illuminated or not at all? Couldn't be bothered exchanging it again so have decided to live with it.

I remember your issue well, OK so the first one had LOTS of sensor dust, now many will say just clean it but it was brand new so I thought I'd ask the suppliers and CPS, I expected CPS to say just fetch it in and we will clean it FOC, but no, they requested the unit be exchanged for a new one, new one was better but still has dust from new, IF I clean it and let's say some issue was to arrise then I place myself in a situation, anyway the second one also had dust in the pentaprism housing, that's annoying as can only be removed by strip down, OK OK I know it's just dust... also here's where you will be interested, it also had odd AF illumination issues/behaviour, it seems that now and then when you focus at the long end of my 500/4 into dark backgrounds some of the AF points would sort of glow, almost as if some residual power remained on the illuminated AF points, not all the time though. I plan to get another in a few months time, my thinking is hang fire for a while and any batch issues can be avoided and with some hope I get a better start.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
All these points are well stated other than poor Alan forgetting that some of us are short of cash when the accessories are adding up significantly. ;)

The point not yet addressed is how significant is the IQ difference of the cropped 20MP compared to the cropped 30 MP for wildlife that is small. It's amazing how one minute you may be shooting a bear and then there is a a tiny song bird with little or no time (or no ability) to swap lenses. I'm still waiting for side by side 1DX II vs. 5D4 crops and I think that must be in the mind of the OP.

I can verify that the 6D to 1D4 step got really comfortable in just a couple days and I loved that camera other than its 16 MPs and poor high ISO (cropping).

Jack

Upvote 0
May 26, 2012
arthurbikemad said:
...also here's where you will be interested, it also had odd AF illumination issues/behaviour, it seems that now and then when you focus at the long end of my 500/4 into dark backgrounds some of the AF points would sort of glow...

I haven't noticed anything specific to the 500/4 II (I intend going out with it this afternoon so will check then). I know that in addition to the two stages of brightness, the camera will subtly boost the brightness further if it detects certain circumstances e.g. pointing at a bright subject will require the focus point illumination to be slightly brighter than normal to provide enough clear contrast so you can differentiate the point from the bright subject. Therefore if you focus on a bright subject then swing round to look into a dark corner, the residual extra voltage/brightness will probably "leak" across to the other points too (electrical inductance is a fickle mistress). The mystery is, if they are all built to the same tolerances (maybe!) why was my first body constantly very bright (even when not swinging from bright to dark areas) compared to the one I have now?

I don't know what the right state should be, non-selected points not illuminated at all or an even level of reduced illumination to show the user where the other points are in order to help you decide if another point is closer to being right over the subject whilst keeping the overall framing as you want it. At least having it registered via CPS gives a 2yr guarantee so if I feel the need, I can always have it tweaked for free at some point. No dust issues though!

I guess one of us should contact CPS just to find out what "normal" is. If I get round to it this weekend I'll either post here or PM you.

Regards.

Upvote 0
GuyF said:
arthurbikemad said:
...also here's where you will be interested, it also had odd AF illumination issues/behaviour, it seems that now and then when you focus at the long end of my 500/4 into dark backgrounds some of the AF points would sort of glow...

I haven't noticed anything specific to the 500/4 II (I intend going out with it this afternoon so will check then). I know that in addition to the two stages of brightness, the camera will subtly boost the brightness further if it detects certain circumstances e.g. pointing at a bright subject will require the focus point illumination to be slightly brighter than normal to provide enough clear contrast so you can differentiate the point from the bright subject. Therefore if you focus on a bright subject then swing round to look into a dark corner, the residual extra voltage/brightness will probably "leak" across to the other points too (electrical inductance is a fickle mistress). The mystery is, if they are all built to the same tolerances (maybe!) why was my first body constantly very bright (even when not swinging from bright to dark areas) compared to the one I have now?

I don't know what the right state should be, non-selected points not illuminated at all or an even level of reduced illumination to show the user where the other points are in order to help you decide if another point is closer to being right over the subject whilst keeping the overall framing as you want it. At least having it registered via CPS gives a 2yr guarantee so if I feel the need, I can always have it tweaked for free at some point. No dust issues though!

I guess one of us should contact CPS just to find out what "normal" is. If I get round to it this weekend I'll either post here or PM you.

Regards.

Understand all that you say Guy, my first one the point could not be seen at all when not illuminated, if you hit AF select then they would all light up dim, with the brighter one or selection shown clearly from the rest, the second body they would "glow" slightly at times! Not all the time, mainly I noticed it while at the long end of the 500, but other times they looked normal, i.e like the first where only active AF points could be seen unless cycling through the modes where like I say they were dim showing the user the placement of unused AF points and brighter where the mode shows what is about to be used.
I wanted to be able to turn off the red illumination too, so when shooting lighter subjects I could have gone back to the dark AF markers but they have chosen to only give them in red, however red was awesome! I had only used it in anger with the 500 and 24-70ii, quickly with the 11-24, sadly both mine were covered in sensor dust etc, seen clearly at F22 and even at F8 when shooting BIF. Otherwise all other features were great, shame it was not a little more MP's but as said by AlanF if you want more detail use a longer lens or like me a crop sensor body works well as a compromise on long glass options.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
AlanF said:
Jack, just buy a 600mm f/4 II as an accessory to go with your 1DXII to make up for fewer pixels.

I'm happy with 560 and 800 so why would I do that given the gear must be usable for hiking. Some folk are even backing away from the 500 for hiking and hand holding. Perhaps like me, they are noticing that age becomes a factor in what one can comfortably handle. If a hike isn't fun then what's the point.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this indecision between the two cameras. If I can just manage the MF of my 6D OK for a while I'll have a better feeling for whether 800 with 20 MPs is doing the trick. If so then 1DX II is a better choice.

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Jack Douglas said:
AlanF said:
Jack, just buy a 600mm f/4 II as an accessory to go with your 1DXII to make up for fewer pixels.

I'm happy with 560 and 800 so why would I do that given the gear must be usable for hiking. Some folk are even backing away from the 500 for hiking and hand holding. Perhaps like me, they are noticing that age becomes a factor in what one can comfortably handle. If a hike isn't fun then what's the point.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this indecision between the two cameras. If I can just manage the MF of my 6D OK for a while I'll have a better feeling for whether 800 with 20 MPs is doing the trick. If so then 1DX II is a better choice.

Jack
I clearly need to use ;) etc when I am joking. I saw my first 800mm f/5.6 this morning. A couple each had a 7DII, she a 500/4 + 1.4xTC and he the 800, plus some fancy tripod gear. They got some good shots. I felt quite outgunned.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
AlanF said:
Jack Douglas said:
AlanF said:

Jack
I clearly need to use ;) etc when I am joking. I saw my first 800mm f/5.6 this morning. A couple each had a 7DII, she a 500/4 + 1.4xTC and he the 800, plus some fancy tripod gear. They got some good shots. I felt quite outgunned.

Not to be concerned Alan. Joking or not, no problem. We'll always be outgunned because we are too old to handle the big guns. I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with 800 when I have a camera with AF. In the mean time I need you to supply the sample shots!

Jack

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
Go Wild said:
Thank you guys so much in your nice helps.

Indeed, that´s my thought, i think 1dx markII is the way, i think i was just trying to get a more "less expensive" alternative, but of course...there´s a price to pay for that...

I never own a 1D series, my first digital camera was a eos 350D, then a 40D (two of them), then 5d markII, and then 5d markIII. I do love 5d series, they gave me awesome pictures during last 6 years, like chauncey got with the 1Ds3. But i do recognize that 1D series are a new world (and expensive too...). And yes, it´s not about camera stills capability only....for that, my 5d markIII is just awesome!! It has lots of problems like buffer and very limited FPS, but that didn´t limited me for my work in years!! I put you an example of a photo taken by my 5d markIII and 500 F4IS L II below.
But the problem here is that i really need the best of 2 worlds in a camera....video and stiils. Or in other way....if not the best of the 2 world....really close to it. I got my mind on the 1dX2, but i really liked somethings on the 5d4....So i began to doubt because yes....the money thing is a issue, i am not a rich guy...!

Well, i think i need to get back to the rail here and just put in my mind that there are no such thing as free meals, and if i do want the specs, i must purchase the 1dx2 for the best of stills and video....

14224796_1780335592248810_7760855792992052555_n_zpsqrrs7w2v.jpg

Outstanding shot. If you can make pictures like that do you really need an upgrade? :) In professional hands any camera would shine.
On the side note if the money is not an issue - go with the 1dx2. I have an a7r2 and a 5dsr, and recently got "the brick", and I must admit the brick is awesome. The 4k video is so much better than I could get from my a7r2, so my next step is to put the a7r2 and all my Sony glass on ebay. The 5dm4 is a good camera, but I think it's also missing some essential stuff to make it great.

Upvote 0
Jopa said:
Go Wild said:
Thank you guys so much in your nice helps.

Indeed, that´s my thought, i think 1dx markII is the way, i think i was just trying to get a more "less expensive" alternative, but of course...there´s a price to pay for that...

I never own a 1D series, my first digital camera was a eos 350D, then a 40D (two of them), then 5d markII, and then 5d markIII. I do love 5d series, they gave me awesome pictures during last 6 years, like chauncey got with the 1Ds3. But i do recognize that 1D series are a new world (and expensive too...). And yes, it´s not about camera stills capability only....for that, my 5d markIII is just awesome!! It has lots of problems like buffer and very limited FPS, but that didn´t limited me for my work in years!! I put you an example of a photo taken by my 5d markIII and 500 F4IS L II below.
But the problem here is that i really need the best of 2 worlds in a camera....video and stiils. Or in other way....if not the best of the 2 world....really close to it. I got my mind on the 1dX2, but i really liked somethings on the 5d4....So i began to doubt because yes....the money thing is a issue, i am not a rich guy...!

Well, i think i need to get back to the rail here and just put in my mind that there are no such thing as free meals, and if i do want the specs, i must purchase the 1dx2 for the best of stills and video....

14224796_1780335592248810_7760855792992052555_n_zpsqrrs7w2v.jpg

Outstanding shot. If you can make pictures like that do you really need an upgrade? :) In professional hands any camera would shine.
On the side note if the money is not an issue - go with the 1dx2. I have an a7r2 and a 5dsr, and recently got "the brick", and I must admit the brick is awesome. The 4k video is so much better than I could get from my a7r2, so my next step is to put the a7r2 and all my Sony glass on ebay. The 5dm4 is a good camera, but I think it's also missing some essential stuff to make it great.

Hello Jopa! Thank´s for your comment!! ;) I have decided for the 1DX mkII and i am just absolutly HAPPY with the camera!! The 1D series are really another world and in only 2 weeks, the camera as already gave me Stunning shots! So, i am trully happy with my choice!!
Yes, 5D3 was a fantastic camera, but in some ocasions i was just not made for wildlife...This 1D...welll....another completely different world!! And the video of the 1DX?? just WOWWW!!!! I am so happy with this camera! It worth every penny!! ;)

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
Go Wild said:
Hello Jopa! Thank´s for your comment!! ;) I have decided for the 1DX mkII and i am just absolutly HAPPY with the camera!! The 1D series are really another world and in only 2 weeks, the camera as already gave me Stunning shots! So, i am trully happy with my choice!!
Yes, 5D3 was a fantastic camera, but in some ocasions i was just not made for wildlife...This 1D...welll....another completely different world!! And the video of the 1DX?? just WOWWW!!!! I am so happy with this camera! It worth every penny!! ;)

Couldn't agree more. Please post some of your new pics if you don't mind - would love to see them!

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Jack Douglas said:
All these points are well stated other than poor Alan forgetting that some of us are short of cash when the accessories are adding up significantly. ;)

The point not yet addressed is how significant is the IQ difference of the cropped 20MP compared to the cropped 30 MP for wildlife that is small. It's amazing how one minute you may be shooting a bear and then there is a a tiny song bird with little or no time (or no ability) to swap lenses. I'm still waiting for side by side 1DX II vs. 5D4 crops and I think that must be in the mind of the OP.

I can verify that the 6D to 1D4 step got really comfortable in just a couple days and I loved that camera other than its 16 MPs and poor high ISO (cropping).

Jack

Consider the batteries, cards, software, etc as part of the cost of purchasing a camera. Then, select a package that you can afford to operate. You will be happier to have everything you need without exceeding your budget.

Since either camera will do a great job, don't push your budget to the breaking point.

Upvote 0

Consider the batteries, cards, software, etc as part of the cost of purchasing a camera. Then, select a package that you can afford to operate. You will be happier to have everything you need without exceeding your budget.

Since either camera will do a great job, don't push your budget to the breaking point.
[/quote]

Hello Mr Spokane! Thank you for your post! I have already decided for the 1Dx mkII, and i must say, i couldn´t be more happy! I think with the 5d mkIV i could be happy too, it is proving to be a fantaastic camera, but for wildlife purposes, well....the 1D body´s are just, another world....
I have photographed last years always with 5D bodys and two 40D´s and also the 7D mkII. Despite the fact that the 5D markIII is a fantastic camera and i just loved to work with her, they are not the same as the 1Dx, i am really enjoying working with this one. Unfortunatly I did have an awfull experience with the 7D mkII because my body was one of that initial bodys with awfull problems...I struggled so many with unfocused photos, blur, softness, etc...etc...that working now with this 1Dx it´s just like heven! Problemas are gone, and now my happiness is back! So what to say..it´s an expensive piece? It is? Does it helped me to improve, and most importan, to trust agayn in my camera? Definitly! And that worth every penny! I did push a little bit the budget, but with no crazyness... :) I stiil got some budget to the accessories... I am going to Africa in January, so 2 spare batteries and a bunch of cards will be needed!! :D

Thank you!

ps: Jopa, i don´t have any photos in this pc, but i did post some photos in other post " anything shot with a 1Dx mkII" ;)

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Go Wild said:

Hello Mr Spokane! Thank you for your post! I have already decided for the 1Dx mkII, and i must say, i couldn´t be more happy! I think with the 5d mkIV i could be happy too, it is proving to be a fantaastic camera, but for wildlife purposes, well....the 1D body´s are just, another world....
I have photographed last years always with 5D bodys and two 40D´s and also the 7D mkII. Despite the fact that the 5D markIII is a fantastic camera and i just loved to work with her, they are not the same as the 1Dx, i am really enjoying working with this one. Unfortunatly I did have an awfull experience with the 7D mkII because my body was one of that initial bodys with awfull problems...I struggled so many with unfocused photos, blur, softness, etc...etc...that working now with this 1Dx it´s just like heven! Problemas are gone, and now my happiness is back! So what to say..it´s an expensive piece? It is? Does it helped me to improve, and most importan, to trust agayn in my camera? Definitly! And that worth every penny! I did push a little bit the budget, but with no crazyness... :) I stiil got some budget to the accessories... I am going to Africa in January, so 2 spare batteries and a bunch of cards will be needed!! :D

Thank you!

ps: Jopa, i don´t have any photos in this pc, but i did post some photos in other post " anything shot with a 1Dx mkII" ;)
[/quote]

This is great to hear. I too will not regret the 1DX II. I knew I would love the features and am resigned to the fact that a higher rez camera may be an option in the future for back-up. That's secondary because my love is more wildlife and 400 X2 at F8. Great AF in this case!

I never have budgeted in my life for anything and always scheme how I can add the accessories after the fact since I'm always inclined to purchase what I can't really afford (fewer items of greater quality has served me well all my life). I do admire people who are more methodical, though. ;)

Jack

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
AlanF said:
You lay out more than 5000$/£/€ on a camera and then worry about the cost of a spare battery or card?

If I could afford a 1DX Mark II, I think I would be happy to let it sit in the closet while I picked up the accessories over the next few months.

Heck, it comes with 2 batteries (doesn't it?) and I have a CF Card from my 5D mark III.

I don't understand the vexing either. ???

Upvote 0
CanonFanBoy said:
AlanF said:
You lay out more than 5000$/£/€ on a camera and then worry about the cost of a spare battery or card?

If I could afford a 1DX Mark II, I think I would be happy to let it sit in the closet while I picked up the accessories over the next few months.

Heck, it comes with 2 batteries (doesn't it?)

I believe it comes with one battery, not two.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
kaihp said:
CanonFanBoy said:
AlanF said:

Heck, it comes with 2 batteries (doesn't it?)

I believe it comes with one battery, not two.

Okay. I didn't know whether the built in grip held one or two.

Still, I think I'd get one if I could and be happy to slowly get the other stuff over a few months. Those things wouldn't be make or break for me.

I have a 5D Mark III so there wouldn't be a rush.

The one thing I would probably want to have before the camera is a great white.

Upvote 0