Some Minor Canon Lens Announcement Clarification

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
Fleetie said:
jeffa4444 said:
[5 f/1.4 lenses]

(converted for video are all T1.3)
What?

I think he meant T 1.5 or 1.6. I've yet to seen lens with higher T-stop than f-stop. Maybe some quantum mechanics lens, which is able to bend the law of optics? :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Jopa said:
LonelyBoy said:
The fragility of microUSM makes it a complete non-starter for me, personally, and STM is fast enough for a lot of my uses. I'd strike mUSM from that list entirely.

You probably meant Nano USM? What makes you think it's fragile?

He probably meant what he said. Micro USM is what's used in the 50/1.4, which is notorious for AF failures.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
neuroanatomist said:
Jopa said:
LonelyBoy said:
The fragility of microUSM makes it a complete non-starter for me, personally, and STM is fast enough for a lot of my uses. I'd strike mUSM from that list entirely.

He probably meant what he said. Micro USM is what's used in the 50/1.4, which is notorious for AF failures.

Thank you. I had no idea it exists :)

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
Jopa said:

[/quote]

AFAIK only two lenses with microUSM exist. 50/1.4 and 70-300 IS (first one). The latter didn't even have FTM...

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Jopa said:
LonelyBoy said:

Indeed. And ahsanford's post, which I was replying to, listed both microUSM and nanoUSM, separately. My only quibble with nUSM is the price for the 18-135 compared to STM. For the use I'd have (do have), the upgrade isn't worth the price.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Jopa said:
neuroanatomist said:

It was never a Canon marketing term like Nano USM, it just means USM implemented by means of a micromotor similar to that used by many cheap non-USM, pre-STM lenses and unlike the much more common ring motor based USM.

Upvote 0
The Fat Fish said:
I think three missing lenses are a 20mm IS, 50mm F1.4 IS and 85mm F1.8 IS along the lines of the fantastic 35mm F2 IS USM, 24mm F2.8 IS USM and 28mm F2.8 IS USM. The 85mm and 50mm would be obviously requested lenses.

I'd love for the 20mm to perhaps be a f/2 or f/1.8 lens (a la Nikon 20mm f/1.8 ) but I wouldn't hold my breath, looking at the 24/28mm f/2.8...

Upvote 0

mnclayshooter

I love shooting - clay pigeons and photos!
Oct 28, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Not to really throw one out there unfounded... but I was shooting some bugs over the weekend, and it occurred that we just saw an "M" and and "S" macro with integral macro light, it gave me pause to wonder if there's potential for a new 100 macro with integral light for EF mount.

Way out of left field, I know. Sorry.

Upvote 0

JMZawodny

1Dx2, 7D2 and lots of wonderful glass!
Sep 19, 2014
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com
JMZawodny said:
Personally, I'd like one of these new lenses to be the 600 f/4 DO. I wonder why no one here has suggested one or more of the new lenses could be updates to the tilt-shift line? They would seem to fit the rumor fairly well.

Apparently I nailed this one 8).

Upvote 0