Some of my Monochrome Street Portraiture

Jun 30, 2013
Wow. Wonderful poses, perfect composition/exposure, and fabulous post-processing. Very, very impressive. These really are photos to frame and hang on the wall. With so many ways to process B/W, some details on your PP would be interesting. I never manage to get the results that I really want with B/W conversion. Also, did the subjects pose for the camera or did you just wait for the shot?

Upvote 0
Tyroop said:
Wow. Wonderful poses, perfect composition/exposure, and fabulous post-processing. Very, very impressive. These really are photos to frame and hang on the wall. With so many ways to process B/W, some details on your PP would be interesting. I never manage to get the results that I really want with B/W conversion. Also, did the subjects pose for the camera or did you just wait for the shot?

Hi, thanks for the kind words. None of the subjects in these images are posed. For this type of photography you either catch the subject unaware or within a few seconds of them having realised that you are taking their photograph. You really can't obtain these sorts of facial expressions when posed. It is very satisfying walking the streets of a third world country, camera in hand not knowing what will happen next :)

Upvote 0
ray5 said:
Can you share your PP process on these images? Thx

Hi... there is nothing really special I can think of which is common to each of these photographs. Although Lightroom is the centre of my workflow and PS does play quite a role at times, generally each image is processed individually and on a "case by case" basis. I like to think that I am creating photographs, not batch processing snap shots. That said, contrast, levels, curves, colour filters and vignetting are quite important adjustment parameters for monochrome portraits.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2013
Hi, thanks for the kind words. None of the subjects in these images are posed. For this type of photography you either catch the subject unaware or within a few seconds of them having realised that you are taking their photograph. You really can't obtain these sorts of facial expressions when posed. It is very satisfying walking the streets of a third world country, camera in hand not knowing what will happen next :)

Brad, thanks for the tip. I live in a Third World country never knowing what will happen next and often have a camera to hand - albeit normally a small EOS-M, but don't get shots like these. Very inspirational. The poses are really perfect - definitely a touch of Steve McCurry in your portraits. The 70-200 lens you used for these obviously gives you some distance to work with, which must be a benefit with candid portraits. I always have a bit of a dilemma about letting people know I am going to take a photo, in which case they pose unnaturally, or taking a shot without them knowing and getting a natural expression. Some people get upset occasionally if you don't ask permission. I took a look at your website as well and was equally impressed with your other shots.

You didn't mention the PP for your B/W images, or is this a secret?! Just wondering whether you do everything in LR or PS or use some plug-ins.

Upvote 0
This young woman who lives in a camp near Dasada, Gujarat (India) looked up as I walked past. She was setting up her little market stall (mat on the dirt with home made trinkets for sale). When she saw that I had a camera pointing right at her she smiled just as I pressed the shutter button. She was initially surprised and then maybe a little reserved and shy. You just have to catch the moment and that is what this sort of photography is all about.

Canon EOS 5D MK III
Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II @ 190mm

1/150 sec @ f/5; ISO 160

Attachments

• DasadaGirlBG600x900BW.jpg
    DasadaGirlBG600x900BW.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 678
Upvote 0